“Average at BEST”

Ranked #12 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago, IL
“Average at BEST”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

As a routine customer of the Ritz-Carlton family of hotels and a consumer of five star hotels in general, this stay at the Ritz-Carlton left much to be desired.

The room decor was run of the mill, and the television's sound did not work properly for two days. I was NEVER offered a room change. I had to ask for it myself! They had to send staff up twice; the conference was only 3 days. By then, I just stayed put.

During the conference, we were also not allowed WiFi as it was TOO expensive. Also, Wifi in your room is an extra expense. Really? What year is this?

MAJOR ISSUE:
Although quoted the rack rate, I was told by the concierge that if there were no shows for the conference, I would be alotted the conference rate. When I asked for an email copy of my bill after my stay, they sent me one from LAST YEAR's conference (which I also attended)! Of course, as the dates are nearly the same, I sent it off to dispute, which they denied.

I guess I'll be at the Mandarin Oriental next year...

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Booked 2 rooms for MLK weekend with spouse, nanny and 3 young children. Staff was delightful, and the location was great. Cafe, starbucks, and johnny rockets all within walking distance, and walgreens was right across the street. When we commented on the delicious chocolate chip cookies, the chef emailed me the recipe and then mailed me a copy of the hotel's cookbook. Really impressed!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Catcarmar
New York
Reviewed 22 January 2011

My recent stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Washington, DC was outstanding. Traveling with two of my business partners and a client it was important that everything went well and the RiGeotz was outstanding in meeting all our needs in and out of the hotel. The suite was very well appointeded and every spot was clean. My suit got stained on the plane when a drink fell on my jacket. Not only did the Ritz get the stain out when the suit was returned a loose button was fixed without me asking. When we met at the hotel for our meeting with other joining us from MD/VA and DC everyone was greeted by the staff to make them feel like welcome guests. Room service was perfect both times. The bed was exceptional with sheets of a quality that you would have at home. When it was time for us to leave for a special place in Georgetown for the evening the Ritz took care of all reservations, cars and even made sure that our schedule was met so we could be back at the hotel for evening drinks. Many hotels could learn fron the Ritz. Great hotel, great stay... can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 30 December 2010

My husband, dog and I stayed here to warm up while we were getting our furnace replaced. The hotel was very welcoming to us all. My husband loved living in a world where every request is responded to with "It is my pleasure". The fitness center is one of the best in any hotel, with a really nice lap pool, although there may be an extra charge depending on which type of room you have. The room was a bit small, but very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very nice and spacious, with a walk-in shower and deep tub. The hotel staff seemed genuinely pleased to see us at each interaction, leaving us feeling well taken care of and pampered. The common areas on the lobby level were comfortable and cosy, with complimentary coffee in the morning and treats in the afternoon.
The hotel is pet friendly, with no extra fee for the dog. Unlike some hotels, we were allowed to leave the dog alone in the room. All in all, just what we needed.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Bayside, New York
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I had a great time. I do strongly recommend it. Hotel's staff treated us like family. From the time we pulled up in our car, until check-out everyone was friendly, courteous, and very helpful. We had even forgotten a couple of items from our car and the valet was super sweet about having to retrieve our car minutes after having parked it. Everybody was very helpful and nice! and funny! And, he gave us plenty of ideas and recommendations for our weekend stay. Our room was clean and cozy comfortable.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We were at the hotel for the entire weekend (Friday afternoon through Monday morning) and the stay couldnt have been better. We had oure two kids, and the other families (both with and without children) received an amazing level of service for the entire four days. We were on the club floor and i do not know what others experienced based on their negative reviews but the staff could not have been more attentive. They went so far as to order food from room service at no chage for dinner because the kids did not find anything they liked that was out for guests. The rooms were nicely appointed, we were in both a regular room and a suite across the weekend, and the housekeepers were very quick and efficient.

Service level overall was definitely to the Ritz standards, expecially the event staff, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado, USA
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I am sitting in the club level of the Ritz Carlton Washington DC as I write this review. My advice: stay at the Willard.

We stay at Ritz Carlton's Club Level 4 or more times a year, around the world, and always enjoy the experience, the exclusivity and the service. The Washington DC club level service is, in a word, unacceptable.

First, the club is understaffed. Second, the staff that is on hand spends 15-20 minutes chatting with each guest about themselves.

Throughout our 4-day stay, the food and beverage presentations were always empty, and the carpet was loaded with crumbs.

The staff in the club gets very familiar snd "chummy" with the guests. We and other guests had to continually interrupt conversations to ask the staff to refill food offerings, replace empty bottles of wine, refill silverware and napkin drawers, refill the ice bucket, make fresh coffee, bring out more bagels, refill the milk pitcher.....the list goes on and on. They were always out of everything. And they were more interested in chatting with guests about how long they've worked for RC, what work shifts are like and why they moved to DC. The guests are noticeably uncomfortable after 10 minutes, and trying to politely end these conversations.

The Willard is vastly superior to RC Washington DC. I am glad to be checking out tomorrow mirning, and will not stay here again.

My advice to RC Washington DC: Take a page out if RC's Central Park South's handbook - learn how to provide superior service, fill and refill glasses, anticipate the guests needs and be invisible to the guests.

• Stayed November 2010