“Great if you're visiting "K Street or White House”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 21 February 2014

A really superb hotel just off "K" St. lobbying row or close to the Capitol. Not overwhelming on the outside but very, very nice inside. It's a smaller RC with cozy places for drinks, a meeting, or for your business group to stay. Super service and RC renown facilities. Walk to a Don Shula's. Too bad Blackies closed a few years ago. Was a tremendous restaurant. You can walk to many DC sites...or drop down to GWU.

Room Tip: Get one facing the front
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I just returned home from an anniversary weekend way with my husband, our first since our children were born over 5 years ago. I had the most amazing experience in this luxury hotel that I thought I was in my own heaven! Our one bedroom suite was gorgeous, elegant, and relaxing. The bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get up in the morning! The rooms were so quite I didn't hear any noise in the adjacent rooms. We purchased the additional food and drink package on the concierge level. It was worth it! The staff was very accommodating and personable, willing to go the extra mile to make you happy. The late night room service was quick and the burgers and fries were delicious! The cleaners were prompt and our clothing looked beautiful on our evenings out. The restaurant, The West End Bistro, was gorgeous! I appreciated the variety of foods as well as options for health conscience eating customers. When I get the opportunity to come back to DC I wouldn't stay anywhere else but here to feel like a queen away from my own castle! I truly am another happy customer, you made lasting memories for my husband and I for years to come!

• Stayed: February 2014
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a lovely review.
I hope that I have the opportunity to meet you on your next trip to DC.
Once again - I appreciate your comments - We are very proud of The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

A fairly nondescript Ritz. Neighborhood is not terribly vibrant though you can walk to Georgetown. A fine spot for a small conference. Terrible HVAC - it's one of those thermostats that pretends to let you control it but it then simply resets to its program. Impossible to cool the room or to run the fan as a white noise generator - cycled on and off constantly so hard to sleep.
I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here and it doesn't ooze Ritz like some other locations. Very generic property.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rob S

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of the hotel. Your feedback is so important to me. I am having the HVAC in your room checked and serviced today as it should not cycle off when you sleep. I am so sorry that you were disrupted by this HVAC on/off cycle and I would be happy to discuss this with you.
I am also sorry that you didn't get to explore our lovely Westend Neighborhood. As you mentioned we are only 7 blocks to Georgetown - but we are also 7 short blocks from Dupont Circle, and only 8 blocks from Embassy Row - if you walk in the other direction for 9 blocks you reach the Mall and the LIncoln Memorial which is in fact cleaned and maintained by the ladies and gentlemen of the hotel. One street over are some hidden gems - The National Geographic Museum and The World Wildlife Fund. In the Spring guests can walk through the neighborhood and up connecticut avenue to the National Zoo in about 20 minutes. I hope we have the opportunity to host you again and show you all of the wonderful features of Washington's West End. Thank you again for staying with us. I appreciate your comments.
Elizabeth M

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I am currently staying at the Ritz and couldn't wait to share my high level of satisfaction. Our visit actually started on an un-Ritz like note. Details are not as important as the immediate response by the front desk manager (Veema)who corrected the situation, and said to call if I needed anything else. We arrived very late and were hungry from our drive. Not only did they serve us their bar menu (great food) but the bartender went to the separate room service kitchen to get my son some buffalo chicken wings. The bar manager (Ryme) came over to check on us a couple of times and couldn't have been nicer. She even gave our daughter (a college student in DC) her card in case she needed anything when her family wasn't around.
My firm has had colleagues participate in Ritz Carlton training and it's abundantly clear to me why.
This Ritz makes you feel special.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review. I am so glad that you had a wonderful experience at the hotel and that the team was able to create a memorable experience for you and your family. I hope that your son liked the Chicken wings - and I hope that you enjoyed your weekend with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to Washington DC in the near future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My daughter and I are here for a conference, and thought we would enjoy a nice hotel and spa while we are here. First as we arrived into the room, I went in to wash my hands and the trap fell out of the faucet when I turned the water on. Called the desk and there was no answer. Called the operator and there was no answer. Went down to the desk and told them. They sent maintenance. Then I tried to put my jewelry into the safe....it did not work. Frustrated I carried my jewelry to the conference, and told them about it this morning. Again, maintenance arrived and fixed it. While they were fixing it, I went down to the lounge to get some coffee and read the paper. Coffee was sitting out, I sat down, just as two employees working in the back bar area had a LOUD disagreement over the keys, and someone leaving them in his coat pocket so they could not open the drawer. This went on for over 10 minutes, at which time I left and took my coffee back up to room to sit while the maintenance crew worked on the safe. AVOID this hotel until they get it up and running like a RITZ should be run!

1  Thank cepam

Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry about your experience. I would be more than happy to discuss your concerns with you. Please feel free to contact me at 202-974-5502.
I do hope that you had the opportunity to enjoy the remainder of your stay and spend time in our beautiful city. I look forward to speaking to you.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I agree totally with the check in staff being unprofessional . The person behind the desk had no clue about Amex Centurian Amenities . Even though the hotel was far from full , one felt that they were begging for an upgrade rather than the hotel automatically checking if this Amex perk was available. The rooms are dated and housekeeping is clueless . Who ever heard of turndown service not emptying wastepaper baskets . Yes the hotel is in a good location but this hotel is living off the Ritz Carlton name . Unfortunately , since Marriott personnel ,at the senior level , have taken over the running of Ritz Hotels , the service levels at most Ritz Hotels are not 5 star .

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank kojack
Elizabeth M, Front Office Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for your recent comments.
I would be happy to discuss your recent stay with you.
Please feel free to contact me at 202-974-5502.
Thank you.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

My family and I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton DC in the past but this stay was the last time. To start off Mary at the front desk needs to get more training and stop lying. We booked the trip through American Express and we were supposed to have 2 free upgrades on the rooms. Mary only upgraded one room and then failed to give us the amenity sheet. When I called guest relations the rude and nasty woman on the phone said she would look into it and call me back. Of course, that never happened. I come back to my room after being at a hockey game and of course turn down service didn't empty the garbage. I proceeded to ask for the manager and when he called me back I can't begin to tell you what a rude and obnoxious individual he was. One of my family members in the lobby lounge earlier in the day asked for a well done hamburger and when he bit into it was so raw that it was a joke. Of course what to expect once again no apologies or anything. The Ritz in DC has lost me and my family. Next time it will be the Four seasons or Park Hyatt. The owner or GM of this hotel needs to tweak his staff and make them take a course on customer service. I felt like I was at a Motel 6.

3  Thank giants201Hoboken
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and for your comments.
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. I have looked into your reservation and I or my Director of Operations will contact you today to discuss your concerns. I also received your email and survey response. Thank you for all of your feedback. We look forward to speaking with you and we always hope that our guests fully enjoy the service and faciliteis that The Ritz-Carlton is known for. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this visit. Thank you again for staying with us.
Elizabeth