“Staff "made" the stay”

Ranked #12 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Philadelphia
“Staff "made" the stay”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We did not book or pay for our room, so I don't know how competitive the price is for a hotel of this caliber. But Al, Nixon, Juan, and everyone whose name I did not get took such good care of me that this stay will always stand out.
Our room was on an inner courtyard, so we had no problem with noise. We thought the bathroom was large and well-appointed, from the separate shower and tub to the ample, large towels. We didn't take advantage of any of the champagne on checking in, but the bottled water and the apples out by the main floor elevators, were just our style. Loved having daily NY Times or Washington Post available. Would have enjoyed an in-room coffee maker for an end-of-the day cup of coffee or tea, but most high-end hotels seem to have eliminated that in favor of more extensive mini-bar offerings.
Our only complaint was that only one side of the bed (in a room with two Queens) had a reading light and bedside table. One person is left out....or, I guess, you could use both beds, but that did not seem a reasonable option. I suspect that there is not enough room for more furniture. They could, though, use on-wall lighting by each side of the bed, with a switch bed-side. Also, just a little shelf-like "thing" for glasses, watch, tissue, etc. could probably fit in both space-wish and aesthetically if done right.
The in-room wi-fi was not an extra charge because of hotel chain membership, but it normally would be. It was stable and strong.
While one reviewer complained about lack of bellman help with luggage, we were thrilled to be asked "Do you need help with your luggage?" and to be able to manage our minimal things on our own. At the opposite end of the stay, having accumulated much to take home, it was so helpful to be able to check many pieces until we actually were leaving but after check-out.
For us, the location was ideal given the meeting we were attending. We took a nice walk up to Dupont Circle and it's feasible to walk to Georgetown.
Thank you to all for their welcome and their help, which is what made the difference for s.

Room Tip: Gathering from what others have said, we were fortunate to have had an interior room. Absolutely no...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank redtwizzler1943
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your kind words about The property.
I am so glad that "Staff made your stay". I am fortunate to work with a wonderful group of ladies and gentleman who really go above and beyond to create exceptional service.
I will send a note to all you mentioned and thank them for taking such good care of you.

The inner courtyard rooms are lovely and very quiet and we are fortunate that almost a third of our inventory face this lovely courtyard.

Once again I appreciate your comments and I hope to meet you on your next trip to Washington.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed 28 April 2014

nothing is extraordinary, but everything is taken care properly. Special thanks to Juan who helped me a had always a special touch!. Did not try the restaurant and the bar could be a little bigger, but nothing to complain!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for your lovely comments.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit to washington and the service/amenities/location of the hotel.
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.
I will share your kind words with my team.
I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to Washington.
Elizabeth
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is 14 years old and the FF&E need some replacement. In general the room was nice but not "Ritz" standard, especially the suite. The food, the service were good and staff was very friendly. The only drawback was the firefighting depot across the street. I used to wake up few times at night by the siren sounds.
I think it's serious problem as occupancy was so low the management decided to cut the buffet on breakfast the second day we stayed, only limited a la cart was offered.
I might come back as they have huge gym and Spa next door with hotel access, but will choose another room with less noise issue.

Room Tip: Stay away from fire fighting depot!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Dangminhtruong
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for being our guest and for your recent comments about the hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.
I am also happy to hear that you thought the occupancy was low - we have run a solid 90% occupancy for the last three months and are one of the busiest hotels in the city!
I must credit my staff for making the hotel feel serene during significantly busy times.

We do stop the buffet when there is limited usage - We were surprised more guests didn't take advantage of the breakfast buffet but during your visit the majority of guests decided to order through in room dining - I believe served over 200 breakfasts that morning!
In General however the Breakfast Buffet is available on Saturdays and Sundays until 11am.
The morning of your stay we did close it at 1030 - as we hadn't had a guest order the buffet since 945am - again - I am sorry that you were inconvenienced.

I am happy to review the details of your stay with you and I can be reached at 202-974-5502.

Thank you once again for your comments and for being our Guest.
I hope to meet you on your next trip to Washington.
MIAMI BEACH
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The entire Ritz Carlton brand has diminished over the years, so I don't know why I expected any more from this particular location. I am only staying here for one night, yet my experience so far has been sub-par. Nothing has stood out as too terrible. It has just been a lot of small "lack of service" issues that have added up to make this experience a two-star experience, which is exponentially bad considering the price point and top-tier brand name of this hotel.
1. When I pulled up to the valet area, I had to tell three different valets and doormen that I was checking in before anybody bothered to help me with my car or my luggage. They all just kind of stood around, like guests normally unload their own luggage then park their cars themselves. At 9 out of 10 other top-tier hotels, the valets and doormen fall over themselves to help you with your luggage and cars.
2. When someone finally did help me with my luggage, he followed me to the front desk, then set my luggage on the ground behind me, as opposed to putting it on a cart and ultimately taking it to my room - which is the typical, standard protocol for any/every US hotel that offers bellmen. When I finally finished checking in, I turned around to see my bags sitting behind me. I asked the front desk clerk if someone was going to take them to my room, and she started scrambling to go find someone. I ultimately just grabbed everything myself and hauled it to the 10th floor, as opposed to waiting for 10 minutes for her to find a bellman to actually do his job. Again, not a huge deal, but I expect much much more from the Ritz, especially when I book a suite at the hotel.
3. The girl that checked me into the hotel was nice, but she didn't tell me anything about the property, hotel restaurants, how to log onto the Wi-Fi, etc. I booked this reservation through American Express fine hotels and resorts, which comes with certain benefits like late checkout and a breakfast credit every morning. Usually the front desk clerks mention that and go over every benefit, but she didn't even mention it. I remembered that I booked the reservation through American Express as I was hauling my own luggage up to my room, so I had to call back down to the front desk to find out all the benefits that I may be able to take advantage of during my stay.
4. I'm staying in a one-bedroom suite, which is "ok", at best. The bathroom is very small, and it only has one vanity - weird for a suite. The closet is also very small. There is absolutely no view of anything from this hotel, so if you're looking for scenery, this isn't your place. My view is of a gravel rooftop (part of this hotel) littered with empty water bottles and crushed soda cans. If this is the view from one of their best friends, I can only imagine how bad some of the other rooms' views may be.
5. Every other top-tier hotel chain provides slippers with their turndown service. Firstly, I didn't even get turndown service. Secondly I called the front desk (after I couldn't find slippers anywhere in the room) and was told they are only available upon request. Again, that's not a huge issue, but when you're staying at an allegedly "best" hotel in the world, in a suite that costs $1000/night, you tend to expect little things like slippers by your bed. Well, don't expect them here - just like you shouldn't expect great service.
6. The on-site restaurant is also average, at best. After being seated, I had to wait at least 10 minutes before a server arrived to even offer me water. In fact, I had to get up and ask the hostess if anybody was actually waiting on my table. Mixed reviews on the food. The side items were good, but the fish entrée was very bland.
Long story short, this isn't a horrible hotel. But it is definitely not up to the standard of the Ritz-Carlton reputation, or of any other hotel in this price point. I have had better service, better accommodations, and much better views from other Washington, D.C. hotels - all for less money. This is my first stay here, and it will definitely be my last.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent stay with us and taking the time to send your detailed comments.
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your recent stay.
I would be happy to discuss the details with you personally.
Please feel free to call me directly at 202-974-5502.
Thank you once again for being our guest and for taking the time to comment.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I am currently a guest at the hotel for Easter weekend, staying in a 1-bedroom suite with my husband and 2 sons (ages 10 and 5). The staff has been so wonderful for all of the children this weekend - they have had candy and special Easter cookies in the lobby, hosted an Easter egg decorating party this afternoon, and are also having a visit from the Easter bunny at breakfast tomorrow, followed by an Easter Egg hunt. Last night when our boys were having movie night in the room, a special request for room service popcorn was accommodated with speed and a smile. I am really impressed with the special attention paid to the little ones this weekend. I highly recommend this hotel for families!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TaraHB
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us this weekend.
We are in an enviable location - close to everything - a few blocks to the Lincoln Memorial and Monuments in one direction - The Embassies of Dupont Dircle in another and finally just steps away from the Historic Waterfront Village of Georgetown.

I am glad that my team took care of you and your family during the Easter Weekend - and you started with a Champagne arrival - a celebration of Spring!
Thank you for being our Guest - and I hope to meet you on your next visit to Washingon.
Atlanta
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic weekend in DC and loved every minute of our stay at the Ritz. I'm surprised it's not ranked higher among the best in the city. Our suite was gorgeous with a fantastic bathroom, comfortable bed and large separate living room. We were on the club floor. The service was friendly and helpful and they offered to help put together an itinerary when we said we wanted to bring our children for a visit in the fall. The hotel was a short walk to Georgetown and a short cab ride to "the sights" though we walked it one day as exercise. It was a great weekend and we would definitely return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Fairfield,CT
Reviewed 14 April 2014

From the moment we walked inside and were greeted with a glass of champagne and hot towels...loved every minute of our long weekend. Ritz staff are the best there is. Attentive and caring, and genuine...nothing feels forced. Great location, walk to White house. Food in the lobby bar is excellent. Room service was prompt and also excellent. A really nice touch is the presidential cookies in reception each afternoon, with recipe cards for you to take. A little underwhelmed with the room, good size but not as luxurious as other Ritz hotels I've stayed at. Drapes were torn. I would still stay here again though, for the fantastic staff if nothing else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Edogfairfield_CT
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you so much for your comments about your Recent Stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC. I am so glad to hear that You "Love the Hotel"...... We are in such a wonderful location right between the quaint village of Georgetown and All of the Monuments and Memorials that DC is famous for! I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our Presidential cookies in the lobby. We feature a different presidential cookie each night and as you noted we provide the recipe cards for you to take with you.
I have had the curtain in your room fixed - I am sorry we missed that during our inspection process. Thank you for letting me know.
I hope to meet you personally on your next Trip to Washington. Thank you again for staying with us!