“Consistently good”

Ranked #13 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Consistently good”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I have been coming here regularly for many years. Very attentive service. Nicely decorated rooms. A pleasant bar. An OK restaurant with acceptable food and a decent wine list. You do not get surprised here. And the location is very good whatever reason brings you to D.C.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My father and I took my boys ages 5 and 7 to DC for 4 nights. I wanted a one bedroom suite and booked it through my American Express. We were upgraded to the club level (upgrade was part of my Amex amenities-they upgrade your room when available). Jeremy and Curtis provided outstanding service in the club lounge as well as all of the other staff working in there. The hotel is in the west end and centrally located to many different areas and sites (a mile or 2 from national mall, 4 or 5 blocks from Georgetown). We took the metro to the zoo and a cab to the national mall and museums ($10-$15 cab fare). There are a lot of business travelers and some families. There is a walgreens and a cvs very close to the hotel. I was going to stay at another hotel but was concerned about space and sleeping arrangements. So, I opted for a 900 sq ft suite over a 345 sq ft room for about the same price. I gave up a view of the White House to insure a good night's sleep! Overall, an amazing experience. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ReneeColumbus
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Have stayed numerous times. Rooms are good sized with separate shower and it's about 5 blocks to metro. Great restaurants nearby. Try Rasika Indian, one of the best Indian restaurants in the country. Ris also good. Staff always good. Best feature is probably the gym which is probably best gym in the city where lots of celebs, politicians, etc. workout. They have lots of class options and full locker room w/ steam/sauna also a cafe with good quick food and smoothies.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room if you like more windows/light and potentially better view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I don't usually write reviews but this hotel has been such a disappointment I felt I had to. I usually stay at the Willard in DC, which is a fabulous hotel, but decided to try the Ritz simply to be closer to my meeting locations.

I checked in late evening after a long flight and wondered what the horrendous thumping above me was, but luckily fell asleep. Only to be woken up at 8.15am by intense drilling, which sounded like it was coming directly from the room above me.

45 minutes later after continuously being put on hold and spoken to incredibly rudely by the front desk, I requested a room change. Without any explanation as to the drilling, I was told no problem, and that it would be done by 11am.

I never heard from the front desk or anyone again.....

On going downstairs the drilling (which in my room on the 6th floor was so loud I could barely think, let alone take conference calls), only proceeded to get louder. Evidently the hotel is under serious construction. Without so much as an explanation or apology on the situation from any managerial staff.

If I hadn't prepaid for the 4 nights I would have moved out immediately.

To make things worse, they put a family on either side of me; parents on one side, kids on the other, with my room in the middle. Surely a receptionist at what is supposed to be one of the best hotel chains in the world has slightly more intelligence? I have spent the last 24 hours with one or either of these family members trying to get into my room.

I am highly unlikely to ever use this hotel again, and would HIGHLY recommend that anyone planning to visit in the near future, for business or pleasure, changes their plans and looks elsewhere.

On a separate note, I see that for various poor reviews, the general manager's only comment or feedback has been:
"I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience."

Room Tip: Don't book a room for any time in the upcoming months. This hotel is under construction.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank citymap
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you very much for your comments.
I would like to speak with you directly about your visit and would welcome a call to me personally or my Hotel Manager - Jason Ricter.
The direct line to our office is: 202-974-5502
I am sorry that you were disturbed by drilling noises - There is no construction going on in the htoel - however there is road work and garage work being done in the neighborhood.
Unfortunately this work was beyond our control and unfortunately we were unaware of the full project scope during your stay. Thankfully the noisy aspects of the project are 95% complete and we have not been able to hear the noise in the public areas of the hotel.
I apologize for the inconvenience and disruption to your visit and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you.
Thank you.
Elizabeth
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Wonderful family friendly hotel in a very accessible location to see the fireworks. Room was spacious and immaculate and the service was on par with other Ritz properties.Our room service wait staff even set up a special table for our young kids, poured their syrup for them and probably would have cut their waffles if we had not stepped in and assured her that we were happy to take care of it. Needless to say, she went above and beyond the call of duty. The hotel was very festive for the 4th of July holiday with red white and blue cookies, chocolate covered pretzels and jellybeans in the lobby at reception. The staff even had small, toys, bubbles and jewelry for the kids. Be sure to check out the package deals, they really represent a bargain and while the nightly rate may be higher than other properties in the area, the net cost ends up being the same when valet parking and are included. We would highly recommend this family friendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
macon, ga
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here for only a couple of nights, but will definitely consider staying again if our plans bring us to DC. We are frequent patrons of Ritz Carlton and enjoy the service and comfort of the Club Lounge. We had a great experience here in the club. The staff were all very friendly; both concierge staff members were very helpful, making dinner recommendations and reservations for us. We found the food presentations to be ample with plenty of options.

Our room was a very nice-sized room as well as the bathroom. My one complaint would be the size of the shower. It was tiny. There is an over-sized soaking tub, which is great. However, it leaves little room for the shower.

The location of the hotel was good- we walked to most sights. We enjoyed being so close to Georgetown. We walked from the hotel and spent a good deal of time there.

Overall a great stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Many service problems with a recent 4 night stay at this hotel. For the rates charged, extremely disappointing. It started with a 25 min wait to check in and got worse the rest of the trip not because it was busy but because it was understaffed with only one person at the desk. We were never told in advance but the hotel was under construction. Each morning, starting promptly at 9AM, there was a loud grinding noise that woke us up. This happened even on Sunday. I was flabbergasted and would have changed to a different hotel but for waiting on documents to be delivered.

We had trouble with housekeeping and had to call several times to get our room cleaned. The last night we were there the maids didn't come until 9PM. The elevators were very slow, apparently one not in service?

Overall, very unsatisfactory and not at all worth the money despite being a pretty property.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in detail with you
and I hope that you could call me at: 202-974-5502.
Thank you for feedback - I look forward to speaking with you.
Warmly,