“Another fine RC Stay”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #18 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I'm a Ritz-Carlton fan (although I admit to being an even bigger Mandarin Oriental fan), and I'm happy to report the the RC Washington DC justifies my fandom for the (now) Marriott-owned chain. I recently stayed at the RCDC for three nights (2 to 5 August) while on business in Virginia, and the hotel lived up to all of my expectations. I didn't experience any of the problem areas mentioned by other reviewers.

I hasten to add that I was able to book at RCDC at a government rate, which considerably ups the value factor. I wouldn't stay at the hotel for the regular online rates -- around $400/night when I checked a few weeks ago -- but five-star hotels in DC are generally pricey, and the RCDC is a world-class luxury hotel.

As I don't really have any negative point to share from my stay, I'll summarize the many positive aspects of my RCDC stay:

1. Room: I booked a regular room -- nonsmoking, but the RCDC is entirely smoke-free, which I also appreciate -- and was given a lovely, large room on the 10th floor. I had a decent view of surrounding West End buildings and could even see the tip of the Washington Monument. The room was immaculate and quiet; it seemed brand new, although the hotel has been in business for six years. The TV was a large LCD (42", I believe) with the usual array of channels. My rate included wired and wireless internet access, which was reasonably fast and otherwise worked well. My favorite feature of the room -- as has often been the case during RC stays -- was the bathroom: huge, marble, with spacious, separate shower and bathtub. The bathroom had Bulgari amenities, which I'd only seen before in RC club rooms or suites. Nice. The bed was very comfortable, and the A/C -- Washington was experiencing typical hot and humid summer weather -- worked very well. Some reviewers have mentioned that RC hotel have a "stuffy" decor or guests or both; I haven't found either to be the case. As with other properties in the chain, the RCDC eschews trendy design for classic, high-quality furnishings and appointments with up-to-date technology and luxurious touches.

Service: I didn't do much more than sleep at the RCDC (I hope to enjoy the amenities of the hotel when I stay again at the end of this month), but I found the staff to be polished, friendly, and helpful -- particularly Thomas (?) on the afternoon/evening shift at the front desk. The hotel offered usual RC touches such as free (and very tasty) coffee and tea in the small passageway between the elevators and reception desk, and apples, towels, and water (for joggers and, er, me).

Facilities: While a fairly small hotel, the RCDC has surprisingly reasonable (at least by international 5-star standards) 24-hour room service, and a highly regarded (and Zagat-rated) restaurant, which I didn't try this time but will at the end of this month. The hotel has direct access to (and an elevator stop for) the excellent LA Sports Club. I enjoyed free access to this as part of my rate -- I think the normal hotel rate for access is $15/day -- and can report that it has ample state-of-the-art machines and free weights, as well as a decent (but busy) lap pool.

Location: The RCDC is very well located in Washington, in the West End, withing walking distance or very short Metro or taxi rides from all major sights. The WE is fairly quiet at night -- it's mostly an office and academic area -- but within walking distance of Georgetown and Dupont Circle. While the hotel offers expensive garage and valet parking, there is (limited) free parking on some of the nearby streets -- although a 2-hour limit for nonresidents goes into effect from 07:00 to 20:30 on weekdays.

Conclusion: The RCDC is a beautiful hotel with lovely rooms and very good service -- what I've experienced with other RC hotels around the world. I would highly recommend it, especially for those on business, and particularly if you can benefit from a government or favorable corporate rate. Well done, RC.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank KittyChan

Reviewed 6 July 2009

It was nice. The guests seem a bit on the stuffy side compared to the Four Seasons, and the room, bathroom and closet were quite small. It was very clean, the bed was comfortable, and the Club room had very good food. As far as service, when I arrived, there was not a "do not disturb" sign to display on my door and I called and requested one, which never arrived. Housekeeping was a bit stingy on soap, I had to request extra after every cleaning, there were plenty of towels, however. The Westend Bistro downstairs was amazing. I would highly recommend that.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2009

After travelling all week staying at real luxurious hotels (including one of the Ritz-Carleton's in Florida), this one doesn’t represent the Ritz branding I’m accustomed to.

The property is a true 4 star hotel (not 5). The property looks more like a converted apartment building dressed up trying to act like a luxurious hotel. The location is good, and the fitness facilities are exceptional (it’s an actual fitness club). The staff was generally very polite, helpful and genuine (especially the door men, the restaurant staff, cleaning staff, and the concierge).

However the front desk staff was so below the Ritz standards( that I have experienced), that they brought the whole experience down. I could write pages on the numerous mistakes they made, and how I felt they tried to insult me with petty lies, and worse cover-ups.

Probably the worst thing about this experience, is that I never even bothered to check out the hotel on trip advisor, because I was confident that the Ritz brand was somewhat consistent in delivering a product and service. That is not the case here, and unfortunately, I will now check out all Ritz Carletons before booking one.
Its unfair that one bad experience does this, but it does. And after reading other posts, my experience doesn't seem to be the exception at this location.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BellAnt
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a business trip. I travel a fair amount for business, but this was my first stay at a Ritz Carlton. There really is a difference! From being greeted by name at check-in (how do they do that?) to the super-attentive service, it was a very enjoyable stay. My room had a large flat-panel HD TV, so I thought I'd watch some DVDs I'd brought to watch on the plan. When the bellman took me to my room, I asked if there was a DVD player for the TV. There wasn't, but he said he'd see what he could do. When I came back from dinner, there was a DVD player all hooked up to the TV. Nice! The hotel is a 10-minute walk to the restaurants and shopping in Georgetown. The White House is a 10-minute walk in the other direction. There's a metro stop a few blocks away. There's a large athletic club onsite, so it's easy to get any type of workout you might desire.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2009

My stay at the Ritz Carlton was excellent. It is well located, the facilities are nice and the service was great. I will admit that I was lucky to be upgraded to a suite upon arrival (without requesting it), so the room was exceptionally large but I think the overall quality was probably reflective of all of their rooms. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've experienced in a long time, the bath linens were nice and plush, the room was tastefully decorated and always very serene. Housekeeping was efficient, on time and thorough. The hotel has a bar and a separate bar/restaurant - both of which are very good. Everything is done to a very high standard. That said, the hotel is very modern outside with R.C. standard decor inside - i.e. it doesn't have anything particularly memorable about it other than the fact that everything is very well done (no small matter). All in all, I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Stayed at the Ritz Washington DC for 1 night on the club floor. The rooms on the club floor are the same as any other rooms. Loved the location of the hotel but have some issues generally.

The lobby: Small but elegant with a nice lounge/bar where you will an eclectic mix of humanity. Had some drinks and food all of which were good. Service was also good. Prices are very high.

The room: Spacious enough. Comfortable typical Ritz beds, LCD TV's, nice desk, and lounging chair. The room was quiet but the AC was a bit loud when it ran. The bathroom has a separate tub and shower which is very nice. We found many hairs throughout the sink area and bathroom floor which was nasty. Desk light was also broken. There was a tray of food outside our room door on arrival at 3pm that remained until late evening hours.

The Club Lounge: Staff were friendly when you saw them. The evening cocktails and snacks were not very good. Food selection was very limited and staff did not promote having a drink and seemed to disappear alot. Wine choices were very poor. The evening dessert service is a farce. No food just chocolate candy and a selection of cordials which were all self service. Of course, try finding a glass, there are none!

Bell staff and parking staff: These people are not efficient at all. While they all say hello all seem disinterested in everything but getting a big, albeit unearned, tip as they leave you. Valets blast through the front entrance in cars, so watch out. They also cannot seem to find keys easily. On departure we asked for a bellman, nobody came...

For $599+ and a 14.5% tax you get little value here. However, the location is great with many restaurants nearby and a metro line. Beyond that it is not up to par for nearly $700 a night.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FlyOneWorld
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Just returned from a college tour trip. We decided to splurge in DC and stay at this Ritz. It compares very well to the St. Regis, both 5 star places with everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The Health club/spa is not operated by the Ritz however you access the place via the hotel elevator. Great massage therapist. My only beef; on the rest or our trip we stayed in lower priced hotels including Marriott Courtyards. Every hotel/motel we stayed in had free high speed internet....the Ritz gouges an extra $12.50!!! very low class. These days high speed internet access should be like hot water, free and included, the Courtyard even include free computers in the lobbies.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family