“Just what you would expect from the Ritz!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #15 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 28 January 2010

This hotel has a boutique feel. The customer service is AMAZING!! I had a 1 bedroom suite. The room was huge and housekeeping did a fantastic job. The hotel is very clean and kept up really well.
It was very easy to walk around the city from the hotel and cabs were plentiful.
The fitness center is huge but does cost extra since it is an outside company that runs it.
The only negative is that on the backside of the hotel is a Fire Station and you can hear sirens during the night.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank HavePillow
Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed 30 December 2009

Great hotel, great rooms, great service - everything you would expect from a Ritz. They even had Christmas cookies on the night stand on Christmas Eve! The only negative was that the hotel was so empty that the restaurants weren't open late for dinner or late for breakfast so dining options were limited. As we were visiting family in the area, we only used the hotel to sleep so we couldn't really take advantage of the service that the Ritz is know for. As a result, I probably would opt for some place cheaper next time since I was only there 9 hours a night. But, very nice hotel and very nice staff.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2009

The Ritz in Washington has a wonderfully comfortable vibe to it. The staff is friendly and helpful, even remembering my name and getting some hot cider for me in the evening. The bistro attached to the hotel serves fantastic food and has a bar area as well for a casual drink. There is also a gym next door, however, as a hotel guest you have to pay $15/ day to use it. The rooms are large and very comfortable with a big bath as well as a shower cubicle (the shower gel also foams up nicely in the bath) and the toiletries are Bvalgari.
The TV has a reasonable number of channels, though not all channels, and missing some that I expected (eg. I couldn't find MTV or something similar). The hotel also offers a number of complimentary services such as overnight shoe shine, coffee and tea in the lobby in the mornings and cider and cookies in the afternoons (unfortunately I only saw this on my first day, guessing I came back to the hotel too late to see it the other days).
All in all, the main thing for me was that I felt very comfortable in the hotel and all the staff was friendly. It was a place I looked forward to coming back to after a long day at work, and definitely felt like a home away from home.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank sutcac
Reviewed 30 October 2009

My husband and I and our 2 year old joined other family members for a weekend getaway. We booked a suite, and we advised the hotel that we would need a crib. We arrived late Friday evening. Our daughter was in her pj's and we were sent up to our room. No crib. We waited over 45 minutes. The crib itself was pretty shabby, with the bumper attached outside the crib rails.
Other than that little blip, our stay was lovely. The Ritz is a small fortune, but a nice treat for a weekend getaway. The lobby restaurant had a nice buffet and breakfast menu. The staff were attentive to my daughter, and they remembered what kind of pancakes she liked after one day. The hotel is near the Foggy Bottom Metro station, which was a quick ten minute walk.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Stayed at the Ritz, DC at the beginning of the month for business. Our conference was in the hotel, which was very nice. The meeting rooms were fine and the service for the conference was great. Staff to guide us where to go, etc. The front desk was okay. Not as helpful as they should have been.

Other than that, we had a great experience. The room was wonderful. I shared with a friend and we had plenty of room for all of our stuff. The bathroom was beautiful, and very large. Separate shower, bath and WC. What you would expect from a world class hotel. It is not super luxurious, but very very nice.

The food for the conference was terrific. The vegetarian entree for our big dinner was exceptionally good (which is surprising because I usually get a nasty bowl of pasta and veggies for a veg entree) and breakfast was nice also. There is not coffee in the rooms, but the hotel serves complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning, which was fine for me.

As for the lobby, it was actually quite small and not over the top, but it served its purpose. I really enjoyed the location of the hotel. It is close to Georgetown and definitely within walking distance of the attractions. It is a long walk, and could not be done with young children, or those with mobility issues, but for me and my friend, it was great. About 20 minutes to the Washington, Lincoln etc. A very nice walk too. We got to see some great areas of the city that a taxi would not have taken us through.
The area around the hotel is very business oriented, so lots of restaurants, but not bars, clubs etc.

I also heard Eric Ripert's restaurant downstair was top-notch, but didn't get there.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay (although I did not have to pay for the room and I probably would not pay the regular rate to stay here again,)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2009

I stayed here for a business meeting and I didn't have to pay for anything, so keep that in mind while reading my review. I have stayed at many Ritz and FS hotels across the world, and this hotel was equal to other Ritzs I have stayed at. However, there are some points to be made.

Negatives:
1. Lobby is a bit small.
2. Had some problems with the room when I checked in (minibar not stock, mouthwash was opened, refrigerator not working), but they were corrected w/in the day.
3. They don't have their own gym; they use the Sports Club LA.

Positives:
1. Quality of room was high.
2. Food was great. We had a lot of in house dining events and they were great.
3. West End Bistro was great.
4. Sports Club LA was great, although there is a charge for its use.

Overall, it's a great place for a meeting. It's only minutes from DCA. I would consider going here for a vacation with family, but it would depend on the rate.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Very clean property with exceptionally helpful and courteous staff who were polite and accommodating to young children. Room service arrived on time and food (breakfast) was excellent. We were visiting with the purpose of sightseeing, and it was a bit out of the way for that, although located only 2 blocks from a Circulator and 3+ blocks from the Foggy Bottom metro stop. It situated within walking distance (maybe 6+ blocks) to the east edge of Georgetown, which is nice.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family