“Great Monument to a pioneer”

Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
US$55.00*
Morning DC Small-Group Bus Tour
Ranked #15 of 450 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I walked round the Tidal basin area on my final day in Washington DC, I thought this was a really good monument, a towering stone MLK looking out over water.
The thing I really liked were reading the quotes from his speeches, which surround the monument on the walls either side. He really was the right man at the right time to push the boundaries for society in the US. Of the quotes some of them were new to me, and it made me wonder what could've happened if he'd have lived, maybe he'd have been the first black US president had he been born 20 yrs later.
The monument is worth the walk, it was pretty empty when I was there and personally I preferred it to the FDR memorial which is just along from it

1  Thank Paul W
There are newer reviews for Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I particularly loved this piece of work. I liked the pathway between two rock faces and the great man stepping out from a partially hewn piece of stone. Coupled with the tablets - all containing small snippets of his speeches - this was a fantastic and fitting tribute!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We drove past the M.L. King memorial but due to time restrictions we were unable to stop. We viewed the memorial from the Bus.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This monument is truly moving and reading his words on the walls touches one's humanity. This was my favourite of all the Washington monuments. What an inspirational human being. May he rest in peace. Go see it, it's worth it.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

The MLK, Jr monument was our finale on our family "MemorialS Day". Weekends are great for parking in D.C., so we easily found free parking in the parking lot that is along the tidal basin across the water from the Jefferson Memorial. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.National Memorial is a short walk from this parking area.
This memorial is quite impressive and meaningful on lots of levels. I was a child of the 50s; grew up in segregated Florida...a teen and young adult during the Civil Rights Movement, and suffered the terrible assassinations of the Kennedys and Martin Luther King, Jr. My own attitudes grew and evolved along with most white Americans of our time. The older I got, the more I genuinely, deeply appreciated the mission of Dr. King for his people and for people everywhere. You walk through an area of broken walls...tall and thick and strong, but broken...and into an open, beautiful area overlooking the water. Dr. King's ideals are deeply engraved in the walls surrounding this beautiful memorial. Words of a man inspired by his God. Strong, powerful words that brought about amazing change in our country. The likeness of Dr. King is carved in stone...much larger than life. A powerful statement in my mind about the everlasting value of his dream for our world that is much bigger than all of us.
People of all races and origins were visiting the site, but there was just something different about the Afican Americans who were there. They seemed to drink it in to a degree that I cannot, with a deeper understanding. An elderly woman sat still on a bench with a radiant smile that felt so warm and loving; a group of women celebrating their 30th birthday laughed and posed and celebrated life. A 30 something professional man, dressed in a suit and dress shoes on this Saturday, walked and read each quote in reverence. Meaningful beyond measure for all of them.
Very, very special for all of us.