“A Great Addition to the District!”

Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
Ranked #14 of 430 things to do in Washington DC
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A Great Addition to the District!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We had never seen the MLK Memorial until this past weekend, and we were duly impressed. The symbolism of the divided mountain and the formidable figure of Martin Luther King emerging from the stone are memorable, along with his carefully chosen words. Well worth seeing, and my compliments to the sculptor for creating such moving imagery!

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great Monument to a pioneer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I walked round the Tidal basin area on my final day in Washington DC, I thought this was a really good monument, a towering stone MLK looking out over water.
The thing I really liked were reading the quotes from his speeches, which surround the monument on the walls either side. He really was the right man at the right time to push the boundaries for society in the US. Of the quotes some of them were new to me, and it made me wonder what could've happened if he'd have lived, maybe he'd have been the first black US president had he been born 20 yrs later.
The monument is worth the walk, it was pretty empty when I was there and personally I preferred it to the FDR memorial which is just along from it

1 Thank Paul W
London
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Another stunning sculpture!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I particularly loved this piece of work. I liked the pathway between two rock faces and the great man stepping out from a partially hewn piece of stone. Coupled with the tablets - all containing small snippets of his speeches - this was a fantastic and fitting tribute!

Visited October 2013
Davenport, Iowa
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Honor Flight Bus Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We drove past the M.L. King memorial but due to time restrictions we were unable to stop. We viewed the memorial from the Bus.

Visited October 2013
Yulara, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“My favourite monument”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

This monument is truly moving and reading his words on the walls touches one's humanity. This was my favourite of all the Washington monuments. What an inspirational human being. May he rest in peace. Go see it, it's worth it.