“MLK Jr. Memorial”

US$75.00*
DC Monuments and Memorials Pedicab Tour
Ranked #15 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We were on a nighttime tour of the monuments with a guide and got a great description of the memorial, what the artist was depicting in the stone relief of MLK. The inscriptions of some of his speeches are wonderful. We can only begin to imagine what he might have accomplished had he not been cut down at such a young age.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Well worth seeing I was impressed with the way this is laid out and the words they chose to represent Dr. King. Very nice and a little out of the way but worth the detour to get here.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We had never seen the MLK Memorial until this past weekend, and we were duly impressed. The symbolism of the divided mountain and the formidable figure of Martin Luther King emerging from the stone are memorable, along with his carefully chosen words. Well worth seeing, and my compliments to the sculptor for creating such moving imagery!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I walked round the Tidal basin area on my final day in Washington DC, I thought this was a really good monument, a towering stone MLK looking out over water.
The thing I really liked were reading the quotes from his speeches, which surround the monument on the walls either side. He really was the right man at the right time to push the boundaries for society in the US. Of the quotes some of them were new to me, and it made me wonder what could've happened if he'd have lived, maybe he'd have been the first black US president had he been born 20 yrs later.
The monument is worth the walk, it was pretty empty when I was there and personally I preferred it to the FDR memorial which is just along from it

1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I particularly loved this piece of work. I liked the pathway between two rock faces and the great man stepping out from a partially hewn piece of stone. Coupled with the tablets - all containing small snippets of his speeches - this was a fantastic and fitting tribute!