“No Elevator over this Beer Joint”
Review of The Baron Hotel

The Baron Hotel
Ranked #128 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“No Elevator over this Beer Joint”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

If lugging luggage up four flights of stairs to a tiny room with a bathroom crammed into a corner is your thing, then go for it.

The bar is dark a gloom and the kids behind the counter appeared to be "on-the-job" trainees at best.

When I asked about the lack of an elevator I was told to "check amenities, like no swimming pool."

Parking cost of fortune in DC and we had a five or six block walk to park the car. Then no one was there when we went back to retrieve it.

This place is nothing like the pictures you see on their website. Best advice? Stay away.

All around, it was a BAD experience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Baltimore
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I stayed here for one night when I had a late night in Washington, DC. I found the room for $89 on booking.com.

The rooms have been completely remodeled since the new management operated this facility about a year ago.

I had a small room with a double bed with a small bathroom and shower. The decorations were new and elegant.

I arrived around 3 pm with my baggage. The lady at the desk told me that she had placed me on the third floor so that I would not be bothered by the noise from the restaurant on the ground floor. However, there was no elevator. I carried my bulky parcels up the stairs. It was a struggle. I could have paid $5 for the continental breakfast the next morning. I chose instead to get a substantial breakfast at the nearby coffee shop.

When I returned late at night, I was exhausted. I slept soundly until I got up the next morning to depart early.

Except for the lack of an elevator, I was pleased with the accommodations. This hotel is two blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro so it is conveniently located on the red line.

I shall stay here in the future. The rooms cost more in summer. The convenience of proximity to the red line may outweigh the additional expense.

I plan to return.

Room Tip: The restaurant on the first floor serves alcohol until 2 am. After the bar closes patrons may gather...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 10 May 2012

On the second day, I came back to the hotel and my door was not closed after cleaning service. They did take a note of it and said they were sorry, but when I found out that my jacket was missing the day after - I could not prove a thing and they have not yet contacted me although they promised to come back to me.

The quality of the staff was rather variable. I met three staff people, and one of them was very kind and motivated. The other two were rather uninterested and did not make me feel very comfortable.

Finally, when leaving the hotel - I asked for a ride to Dulles airport. They arranged me a 75USD befriended taxi ride, while only afterwards I found out that there are dedicated pick-up shuttle services for a quarter of the money.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kennyhelsens

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed there for one night because I was on a panel in DC and the organizers had made the hotel reservation for me. I am not a light sleeper, but at 2 a.m. I woke up. I found something crawling on me. I turned on the light to check what it was. It was a bed bug. I found another one crawling on me. When I squished it, I found blood on my fingers. So it was more than clear to me that it was a bed bug and that I had probably caught it when it had just feasted on me. I also found small spots of blood on the sheet and on the pillowcase. The hotel staff did not help much when I showed them the bugs. I got the concierge to open a room with a dryer and threw all my clothes, shoes, and bag in the dryer for about 20 minutes to make sure it would be free of bugs (heat kills them). Then I left the hotel around 3 am. The hotel staff did not care.

Room Tip: I was in room 306. That one is infested.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 26 April 2012

It's cheap, but not particularly cheerful. If you're just looking for a bed for the night it's a perfectly reasonable place, and one of the cheapest options we could find in D.C., but The Baron Hotel doesn't provide anything more than the basics.

As I understand it, until recently--or maybe still today--the hotel is better known as a German beer bar. We stayed mid-week and it was evident that the walls were pretty thin; I can only imagine that if you visit on busier nights of the week a pair of earplugs may be a sensible packing addition.

Breakfast for an additional $5 is a highlight--you get to eat your cereal in the dark depths of the beery backroom!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel W
Beirut
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We loved the Baron Hotel, it has a p[perfect location, right at Dupont circle and very close to the metro station. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and the room was "good enough", nothing fancy and you can feel somethings missing, but really clean and big and has all the basics. Will definitely recommend it and use it again. There is no elevator which can be a bit bad for travelers but for light travelers it is a wonderful choice.

Room Tip: NO elevator, reserve on lower floors
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nabil-Lubna
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel is in a pretty good location, short walk to the metro train or buses and then only two train stops to Metro Center - you could even walk there or to attractions if you wanted to. Quite decent neighbourhood with lots of eating places nearby (not just fast food) - the embassies and a few high-end hotels nearby indicate it's pretty good. It's an older building, a bit creaky, but it's quite nice and seems to have been refurbished quite recently.

The room was a reasonable size given it's an older building in DC and nice enough feeling to it; it has a bit of pokey bathroom, but it was functional. Shower was OK, but hot water takes ages to come through - it's worth turning it on about three minutes before you actually want to shower. Ceiling fan is very noisy, but towels are quite nice. The room had the appearance of being recently renovated, furnishings had a new 'period' look but were fairly lightweight, and not a lot of amenities were provided - a desk and chair but no armchair or second chair of any kind, no bedside lamp, etc. The TV was a cheap but newish LCD model, but channel selection was very poor and reception had a tendency to cut out. WiFi was okay once you got connected. The bed wasn't terrible, but a little lumpy, and pillows are sparse and low range. The Venetian blinds on the windows didn't seem that old, but were a little faulty, including one not going all the way down, and certainly didn't blackout the room, especially once day broke. Breakfast cost an extra $5 - I can't comment on it any further as I ate elsewhere. There's no in room coffee making facilities; there is a jug down at reception, but the coffee was undrinkable.

The two counter staff I dealt with didn't seem particularly friendly or helpful. They were however good enough to store my bag when I got there early, but it was just put under the staircase along with several others with free access to anyone passing by, and they never even checked my tag when I came back to check in. The elevator didn't seem to work, meaning you had to lug your luggage up the steep and narrow staircase.

Security is a concern. I was allocated a room, and when I opened the door I found the TV on, the bed had been used, and an open suitcase was sitting on the rack - obviously the room was still occupied. Went back and told reception; she didn't seem too fussed about this and just allocated me a different room, but needless to say I didn't leave any valuables in my room and deadlocked it when I was there. The hotel also shares its entrance with the associated bar with nothing really stopping bar patrons from going up the stairs, accessing the checked bags, etc.

The place is also noisy, from a front room on the third floor (this gave a bit of a view, but also plenty of noise). There's not much sound insulation, with any street noise coming straight in and floors above creaking a bit it the people above are moving around much. The first night, even after the noisy bar patrons left, still had some car parked over the road with extremely loud hip-hop music playing, along with associated noisy hoodlums, until after 3am. The second night noisy bar patrons downstairs and on the street till very late, 2am and after. The third night saw a chap downstairs having an extended, extraordinarily loud, expletive laden late night cell phone conversation, but at least the bar patrons were fewer and cleared earlier being a Sunday. Passing through the second floor on the way to my room there seemed to be a lot of noise coming through from the bar downstairs. Maybe higher level, back rooms would be quieter.

OK, so this place isn't cheap, but anywhere in central Washington is expensive, and compared to what else I could find the price isn't too bad. With some of the issue I've mentioned addressed it would be quite good, but at the moment I probably couldn't overly recommend it. On the other hand I wouldn't condemn it either. Weigh up the pros and cons I've given with the price and see what else you can come up with to match.

Room Tip: Higher rooms towards the back of the hotel may be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo