“Convenient budget accomodations without an elevator near Dupont Circle, Washington, DC”
Review of The Baron Hotel

The Baron Hotel
Ranked #131 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed again at this facility near Dupont Circle. The site is close to the Dupont Circle Metro.

I was told again that there is no elevator. When I mentioned that there was no elevator during my winter visit, I was told, "It is taking longer than they thought." Climbing the stairs with parcels was a challenge.

I asked for a room away from the street to avoid the noise from the restaurant. I was given an oddly shaped room without a closet. The bathroom was fine. Although the fire emergency plan indicated a fire escape route through a door in the bedroom, the door was painted over. It had been permanently sealed closed. Fortunately there was no fire. I did not need to take the alternate circuitous fire escape route.

I was glad to stay at this conveniently located hotel while I attended a conference at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel a few blocks down the street. I would have paid more than twice as much for a room at the reduced rate at the Ritz-Carlton.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors off the street avoid the noise from the people going to and from the rest...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ColasBaltimore

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Do not take any rooms on the second floor. The bar downstairs will literally drive you crazy. I had to catch a 6 am flight the next day and I think they have trivia night on wednesday night. I could nt go to sleep until 1 oclock in the morning. To me its a bit inconsiderate, we are all paying guests and we all have needs to be met. The staff was not even sure when the music would stop.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank mayatao
Reviewed 10 August 2012

OK, it's not a Palace. It's more a family run hotel. I had made a reservation for me and 10 other colleagues of mine. Most of us did appreciate the place, but some other complained because of the noise of the underground bar, because of the weak wifi access, or because of the inability of some staff members to help you.
I think it's however a good value for money, in the Dupont Circle district, five minutes walk from the subway station...
Of course, you can find a better place, but at what price?
Don't expect the lift to be fixed, it was out of order in April and still in July 2012. The aircon worked well, but it's noisy. If you plan to stay a lot of time in our hotel room for your work for example, you would probably be wise to choose another hotel. However, if you want to spend most of our time outside, visiting DC, well it's the place you need.

2  Thank paris-eric
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This was one of the best hotels we stayed at on our trip.
Price: Very affordable especially considering quality of Hotel.
Rooms: Spacious, confortable and safe!! We had a queen bed, TV, Air Conditioner, Great Bathroom and working Wifi :)
Hotel Amenities: There is a bar/restaurant downstairs which is not noisy or disrupting to the rooms but a great place to hang out. The food is fairly expensive but they offer a very extensive beer selection from all over the world. The food itself was delicious. This is where breakfast is served in the morning which is fairly minimal and costs $5.
Service: The staff were fantastic. Helpful, respectful and nice,
Location: The Dupont Circle metro is not far at all and will give you quick access to everywhere in the city. Dupont circle itself is very popular for nightlife and dining,

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AUSnicoleUSA
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Alright people, let's get real. For the combined price and location, you will find nothing better in the DC area.

When I travel here I usually stay in Virginia or Maryland at some $90 buck a night shack close to the Metro. I did some research and found Hotel Baron (which is relatively new) and decided to give it a try this time, despite some of these ridiculous reviews. What I found was an absolute gem in my favorite city on earth, not to mention cheaper than anything I've stayed in within or outside Washington D.C. limits.

Baron is located between Georgetown and K Street, just south of Dupont Circle. For you newbies, that's code for "really good part of town." One block west and you're on Massachusetts Avenue, aka Embassy Row. There is some unbelievably beautiful architecture on that road. Three blocks North and you're at the Dupont Circle Metro, so no vehicle necessary. 22nd Street is home to some pretty darned good food and coffee. Not the least bit sketchy. I walked to the White House & National Mall today and it was about a 15-20 minute trip on foot.

Oh, and not to mention, all the other hotels in this area are $150 a night and up. Believe me, I checked. And for half the price you're getting an incredible deal.

So let's talk facilities: well, if an elevator is really worth $75+ bucks a night to you, then go somewhere else. Seriously people, when you're giving a place 1 star because you have to use the stairs for once, what has the world come to? Do you ever wonder about yourself?

Don't overpack and you won't need an elevator. End of story.

I will admit this: I came alone on this trip. So my room was pretty spacious. Also, I don't maniacally overpack like most people. Maybe you're bringing a family of four and are claustrophobic. Go get a suite somewhere. The buildings here are pretty Georgetown-esk and thus very thin. The good news is there are lots of windows: 4 in my single alone. Nice view, too, of a giant church across the street. The bathroom is small but very clean and functional. Personally, I like the quaintness of the place.

Those who compare Baron to a hostel don't know what they're talking about and have CLEARLY never stayed in a hostel. All the rooms here have private bathrooms. All the rooms here have electronic card locks on the doors. All the rooms here have cleaning service in the morning. So really, I'm not seeing the comparison. Maybe it's because the building is pretty and vintage and not your usual corporate cookie-cutter resort. I can kind of sort of see the Bed & Breakfast analogy, but only when I squint my eyes after a few beers. Trust me, Baron is a hotel through and through.

Yes, the downstairs is a small bar of sorts. Not really a bar or club as much as it is a restaurant for beer connoisseurs. I'm talking literally hundreds of types of beers. Rowdy people go up the street to the club or somewhere on Connecticut Ave. I've stayed Friday and Saturday nights here and not heard a peep, not even loud music. Maybe this weekend is an anomaly, or maybe some people just write reviews as an excuse to complain about everything.

I have absolutely no complaints about the room. Bed is nice. Sheets are clean. TV is new even though I never touched it. There is a massive window air conditioner that could easily chill my 2 bedroom home. Somebody even took the time to make the design ergonomic. Not too shabby, if you ask me.

The only complaint i have, and yes it is a biggie, is the internet. Wi-fi here is rough, at best, non-existent on a bad day. This is undoubtedly due to the fact that their networks are open and everybody within a square mile is siphoning off bandwidth. Someone should explain to the manager that this is a quick fix if he'd just put a password on the thing. Seriously, if this place had had decent Wi-fi, I'd have given it 5 stars.

Bottom Line: I would say you get what you pay for, but with Baron, if you got what you paid for, you'd be in a shady traveler's lodge somewhere in Baltimore. Instead, for less than half the price of most DC hotels, you're getting all the essentials, optimum quality, and most of all, a truly priceless location. Don't show up somewhere that popped up as the cheapest hotel in the area expecting luxury. But do expect to be surprised and enjoy yourself knowing you found the District's best kept secret.

Room Tip: Look for deals for booking online—I got $10 off regular price. Ask for something upstairs if you re...
2  Thank Jordacity
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We had a room right opposite the bar. Did not like the room. It was very small and it had a bad smell. They had no parking, and you had to find a spot far away. We had booked a room at the District Hotel, which is the brother hotel, and they sent us to the Baron. I would never stay there again! I do not recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Ok rooms, although fridge would have been nice, especially with 100f/38C temperatures. At arrival you are informed that it can get rowdy on Friday and Saturday night because of the tavern at the first floor. The music is on also during the day so day time nap can be challenge. Also, here is no elevator and no help to take your bags up. A bit dissaspointing! on the positive side, location near dupont circle is convenient, but i will mnot recommedn to anyone who likes piece and quite!

1  Thank Buster L