“Don't go”
Review of The Baron Hotel

The Baron Hotel
Ranked #130 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We arrived at this hotel after booking it in feb and after travelling for 12 hours, to be greeted by a sullen man in a noisy reception next to a bar. He took a long time on the computer then said they had no rooms but he would get us a taxi to a sister hotel. We arrived at this hotel to be told they only had one room for the four of us ( 2 mature couples ) but could give us a family room to share !! We declined and he sent us to another hotel up the road that had two small rooms but we were so tired we decided to stay and speak to the management to complain in the morning. But nobody ever knew where he was and he never did contact us.It spoilt our stay in this lovely city and we would say never stay at the Baron hotel, we were glad we didn't as it looked very grubby.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue B

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was on a long business trip and took a day off in Washington D.C. which was a transit point for me. Booked this hotel which is conveniently located near main city attractions. That's it. I reached the hotel from IAD on a rainy September evening. The entrance was crowded with the patrons of Bier Baron Tavern. Anyway I could manage to crawl to reception with my 2 piece luggage and there was no one in the tiny reception area. After quite some time, a gentleman appeared and wasted some time to get me checked in. Because, he took my credit card and charged almost double the rate than what I booked with them. He however, corrected that when I pointed out the issue. I had to find my reservation confirmation from my luggage to make that correction happen. Not a good check-in experience at all.
Then I had to manage myself with the outdated elevator (which they call 'vintage', :-) ) with my luggage. The room, bed, toilet were clean and in excellent condition.
The free Wi-Fi is actually not workable. I found 4/5 Wi-Fi network with the name "Baron" and most of them were not connectable. Even the ones I could connect my laptop were getting disconnected every now and then. So, actually I could do nothing with that unstable connections. Total wastage of my time.
It was raining and dark outside. So, I did not take chance of other dining options around Dupont circle. I went to the basement tavern for the dinner and that was not as pathetic like the Wi-Fi experience. Actually, the food and the drinks were very good.
The price was on lower side but you can get much better value with this price in other hotels in Washington D.C. On the whole, it was an less than average experience for e.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Taslimul
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I thought the Baron Hotel was a very pleasant stay - The location was great, we were doing a quick trip on a budget so rented bikes just down the road & did our own 'tour' of the attractions. The hotel was handy to them all

It was a tidy room, very nice bathroom (compared to what we had seen in our other hotels on our travels..) I'd recommend this hotel to those on a budget definitely.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

As a couple in our late 20's, my spouse and I were looking for a place to stay close to the memorials/museums and with things to do within walking distance, the week before a friend's nearby wedding. It was a safe, very walkable area with plenty to do, at a price much cheaper than surrounding hotels, but weigh that with disadvantages below to see if the negatives would be things that aren't as important to you.

Advantages:
-very clean!
-Friendly and polite staff
-Close to major attractions for
less money than surrounding hotels
-Bier Baron below the hotel has a fantastic beer selection

Disadvantages:
-Horrible, lumpy mattress that made our backs sore, not hotel-grade at all
-Wifi not available majority of the time, and it was a 3G deadzone for verizon
-Free breakfast was choice of 2 cereals, old bagels, or doughnuts
-Bathroom entrance directly across from the foot of the bed with about a foot of space and a sliding door (awkward)
-Very little water pressure
-Tv on the side of the bed made it hard to watch

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Valerie A
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is a pretty good hotel in a pretty good location. I was very off put when i asked for a 4am taxi to the airport to find out that the front desk person called what appeared to be his buddy who has a car... charged me way too much but as it was very early had no choice!

Room Tip: away from the bar
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The location and price are excellent (close to Dupont Circle and Georgetown; under $800 for two adults, seven nights). That's about the only good I can say about it. The Baron is a bar with a hotel attached, and the hotel is an afterthought. If you have children or need sleep, don't stay here. There was loud music until 2 or 3 every morning, then around 8, the waste pickup truck showed up, as well as delivery trucks and lanscapers. The building is very old and the rooms are tiny. The 50-year-old elevator was also broken, but we were "lucky" enough the be on the first floor, which consists of two rooms, right across from the bar. There was only one available outlet in the room (good luck charging your electronics), a window air conditioner, no ice machine (you have to get ice from the bar), no soda/snack machine, no mini-fridge, no coffee pot, no iron/ironing board, no laundry room or laundramat in the area, and WiFi was sporadic. On top of all that, the staff was mediocre at best. We had to go to the "front desk" (literally, a desk) and ask for cups. But if you're young, single, and/or childless, you'd probably love the party atmosphere. The Baron needs to either make some updates and catch up with the times, or turn the entire building into a bar.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally bad.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank phez2u
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Baron Hotel during our 3-day trip to DC in August. We were honestly surprised to find how well equipped the rooms were, with comfortable beds, a TV, a stylish bathroom and a daily cleaning service. Free WiFi throughout the Baron was an absolute bonus. We ate at the tavern a couple of times in the evening and made the most of the huge selection of beer on offer! The only negative thing was the mouse in the tavern we came across on our first night! Although we could appreciate that the tavern is in the basement and that DC is a very old city, we expected a little more than a nonchalant shrug from the servers in response to their unexpected visitor. Otherwise, I would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends