“It could have been worse.”
Review of The Baron Hotel

The Baron Hotel
Ranked #128 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Baron Hotel although charming in an old worldly sort of way and really convenient to a great district, was ruined by its useless wifi connection or lack of it. My husband had deadlines to meet and study to do and I had commitments to work on online with too, so decent internet access was essential. We ended up sitting on the stairs to get a patchy connection. Very frustrating.
The room was bright and airy but unfortunately really noisy even though we were on the 4th floor, the road works at night didn't help but to be fair that was out of the hotel's control. I can sleep through anything but my husband found it hard and he had all day meetings each day. The lack of laundry facilities was a pain too, especially since we had been travelling some weeks.
However, if it's just a place to sleep that you require and you sleep easily and well, you'll be fine. The price is reasonable and the you can't beat the location.
We found the staff friendly and helpful and the lift worked for us although a little treacherous.
Treat people nicely and you get nice service.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Thebidlet

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I found the elevator so treacherous when it did work -half the time - that I usually climbed the many stairs to my room which was reasonable and clean and the size one expects in an urban B+B. The housekeeping staff were mighty nice, and so were the front desk people which was a real change from my stay two years ago. It is also reasonably good value for money. Breakfast is extra although coffee and tea are complimentary aorund the clock.

I was so concerned about the safety of the elevator that I did report it to the DC Municipality and told them to get their inspectors out there pronto.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We arrived at this hotel after booking it in feb and after travelling for 12 hours, to be greeted by a sullen man in a noisy reception next to a bar. He took a long time on the computer then said they had no rooms but he would get us a taxi to a sister hotel. We arrived at this hotel to be told they only had one room for the four of us ( 2 mature couples ) but could give us a family room to share !! We declined and he sent us to another hotel up the road that had two small rooms but we were so tired we decided to stay and speak to the management to complain in the morning. But nobody ever knew where he was and he never did contact us.It spoilt our stay in this lovely city and we would say never stay at the Baron hotel, we were glad we didn't as it looked very grubby.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue B
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was on a long business trip and took a day off in Washington D.C. which was a transit point for me. Booked this hotel which is conveniently located near main city attractions. That's it. I reached the hotel from IAD on a rainy September evening. The entrance was crowded with the patrons of Bier Baron Tavern. Anyway I could manage to crawl to reception with my 2 piece luggage and there was no one in the tiny reception area. After quite some time, a gentleman appeared and wasted some time to get me checked in. Because, he took my credit card and charged almost double the rate than what I booked with them. He however, corrected that when I pointed out the issue. I had to find my reservation confirmation from my luggage to make that correction happen. Not a good check-in experience at all.
Then I had to manage myself with the outdated elevator (which they call 'vintage', :-) ) with my luggage. The room, bed, toilet were clean and in excellent condition.
The free Wi-Fi is actually not workable. I found 4/5 Wi-Fi network with the name "Baron" and most of them were not connectable. Even the ones I could connect my laptop were getting disconnected every now and then. So, actually I could do nothing with that unstable connections. Total wastage of my time.
It was raining and dark outside. So, I did not take chance of other dining options around Dupont circle. I went to the basement tavern for the dinner and that was not as pathetic like the Wi-Fi experience. Actually, the food and the drinks were very good.
The price was on lower side but you can get much better value with this price in other hotels in Washington D.C. On the whole, it was an less than average experience for e.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Taslimul
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I thought the Baron Hotel was a very pleasant stay - The location was great, we were doing a quick trip on a budget so rented bikes just down the road & did our own 'tour' of the attractions. The hotel was handy to them all

It was a tidy room, very nice bathroom (compared to what we had seen in our other hotels on our travels..) I'd recommend this hotel to those on a budget definitely.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

As a couple in our late 20's, my spouse and I were looking for a place to stay close to the memorials/museums and with things to do within walking distance, the week before a friend's nearby wedding. It was a safe, very walkable area with plenty to do, at a price much cheaper than surrounding hotels, but weigh that with disadvantages below to see if the negatives would be things that aren't as important to you.

Advantages:
-very clean!
-Friendly and polite staff
-Close to major attractions for
less money than surrounding hotels
-Bier Baron below the hotel has a fantastic beer selection

Disadvantages:
-Horrible, lumpy mattress that made our backs sore, not hotel-grade at all
-Wifi not available majority of the time, and it was a 3G deadzone for verizon
-Free breakfast was choice of 2 cereals, old bagels, or doughnuts
-Bathroom entrance directly across from the foot of the bed with about a foot of space and a sliding door (awkward)
-Very little water pressure
-Tv on the side of the bed made it hard to watch

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Valerie A
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is a pretty good hotel in a pretty good location. I was very off put when i asked for a 4am taxi to the airport to find out that the front desk person called what appeared to be his buddy who has a car... charged me way too much but as it was very early had no choice!

Room Tip: away from the bar
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business