“1st visit to Washington”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #20 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 March 2011

The welcome at the Sofitel was wonderful and the staff all extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were fantastic, although we didn't have a great night sleep, but I find that is difficult in city centre hotels as they get so warm, and air con, although available is rather noisy. None if which is a criticism of the hotel which is perfectly located for the White House and about a 10 minute walk from the Mall.

Would highly recommend a Segway tour which lasts about 3 hours and gets you round all the major sites in a fraction of the time.... also great fun.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2011

Perfect in every way. Very quiet, clean, pleasant, stylish and luxurious. The room was impeccable. The bathroom was fantastic. A/C and heat worked perfectly. Bed was exceptionally comfortable. Bose music system in room was a first and wonderful to hear upon entering the room after check-in. Front desk service was very good. Doormen were very professional. Location can't be beat. Wish I could've stayed longer.

Only negative: I hit my head on the glass shelf overhanging the bathroom sink while shaving. It is dangerously ill-placed and should not extend out so far.

Highly recommend Bobby Van's restaurant across the street. Excellent service and outstanding food.

1  Thank Jambero
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Stayed here while on a girls trips to DC for my Birthday. My friend picked the place and it did not disappoint! The service was great, the doormen where like our personal welcoming comittee everytime we came back from a new adventure and didn't judge when we came home late from having too much fun! The guests service agent, Sofie, who helped us get last minute spa appointments was a total doll! The bar was cozy with all of our favorites readily availabile! We had an incedible trip to DC and were happy to call the Sofitel home while we were there!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2011

The title of my review says it all. After I requested a quiet room both when reserving and at check-in, I was given a room that looked good on the surface (end of a hallway) but that ended up being awful, when starting at 4:15 am the garbage trucks began reversing down the alley ("beep beep beep") outside my window. The manager on duty the next morning did graciously offer to move me to an interior room, but his explanation that the trucks only come "sometimes" and that it is "out of the hotel's control" didn't help me to understand why I hadn't been assigned an interior room in the first place.

The room to which I was moved was on the top (12th) floor. Water pressure went from poor in the previous room to downright awful in the 12th floor room. Two consecutive mornings around 7 am, the water was literally about the pressure of a weak sink tap-- it took 20 minutes just to wash my hair in the trickle.

The real coup de grace was when it took 35 minutes for room service to deliver an empty tea cup to my room. I called three times to reception to inquire about the delay and received a shifting story each time. The clerk ultimately offered to have the manager, Sebastian, call me back "right away". 30 min after that, the clerk called to say that Sebastian was "helping other customers" and would be slighly delayed. Two hours after that, I left the hotel for dinner. The next morning, when I asked to speak with Sebastian pre-checkout, I was told that he was in a meeting and not available. I expressed my disappointment at the general poor service throughout my stay and invited Sebastian to email or call me at his convenience to discuss; needless to say, he didn't bother. And hence my negative review on TripAdvisor. Any "apology"/PR management that comes in response to this review is completely misplaced and belated; the hotel could have rectified things during my stay or shortly thereafter, and they failed to do so.

All in all, given the choice in DC, I see no reason to settle for a poor night of sleep, a terrible shower, and uneven service for ~$300/night!

2  Thank emily.rose
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

Dear Mrs Bolon,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us your comment regarding your stay at our property.

I would like to present my most sincere apologies regarding the inconvenience you had on the evening of Monday, March 14th.
I will like to apologize for unfortunately not having the time to get back to you during that same evening or during the next day. For all the inconvenience, I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade for your next visit and also will be more then happy to personally welcome you at your arrival.
I truly hope you can accept my apology and remain at your disposal.
Best Regards
Sebastien
Evening Manager

Reviewed 17 March 2011

My wife and truly enjoyed our weekend stay last week. The staff are polite and professional.
The room was clean and comfortably appointed. We had a really nice lunch and superb breakfast in the dinning room. The location is ideal for site seeing as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2011

This is an excellent and wonderful hotel with a splendid staff.
Anna was so kind us. Breakfast was so taste and I will come
back for this hotel.
Please,if is possible , choice this hotel because it was a
so incredible experience.for us.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Every person we encountered was friendly & helpful. This was a much nicer place than we'd normally stay, but the cost of the room had been paritally paid for by a company we do business with (we were in DC for a bicycle lobbying event and one of our suppliers, Trek, was helping dealers with the cost).

The room was large, the bathroom nice (could have used a fan though), and the beds... at last. a hotel with beds and pillows so comfortable you can easily sleep. What a concept!

My daughter was thrilled by the fact that the staff spoke French if you'd like (she speaks French quite well, me quite dreadfully), but there was no issue speaking English. Or very, very bad French. :-)