“Fantastic Location -- great staff with french accents--best bed ever!”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #15 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
chicago
“Fantastic Location -- great staff with french accents--best bed ever!”
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I loved this hotel! Stayed her for a weekend trip with the girls for cherry blossoms. First time I've been back to visit D.C. since I was a kid and this hotel was located in the perfect spot! We had a 10 minute sub-$3 train ride to a station about 2 blocks away from hotel. Staff all greets you in French which is such a great touch! Easy check-in and then on to a fabulous room -- lots of pluses -- best beds and linens ever (and that includes all the four seasons and westin's i've stayed at!), L'occitane products in the bathroom, large room with a nice sitting area -- only downside was that there was no view but I didn't really care. Location was fantastic, so unbelievably close to the white house (2 blocks!) and the national mall with all the monuments. I didn't try any of the restaurants but did spend time in the bar downstairs and it was very nice, great atmosphere, good drinks and interesting "bar-nibbling" food provided(marinated carrots, popcorn and nuts). I didn't try the gym here as there was a new one a few blocks away that I tried on a trial basis -- Mint -- great spin class! I also decided to do a run around the mall and the staff offered me water as I left and again as I returned -- very nice service! I would stay here upon any return to D.C.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 10 April 2011

What can we say, this is a great center city hotel. If you want a luxury destination very close to the White House, and the action on the mall, this is a great choice. The metro station is a short block away, so you have easy access to everything DC has to offer.
There was a very slight problem for our check in, but that was immediately remedied, and the front desk person apologized, then upgraded us, a very pleasant surprise! Thank you Matthew.
The staff was unfailingly polite and efficient, the word "no", it seems , does not exist in the vocabulary at the Sofitel DC.
The food was wonderful, we used room service several times.
It's also fun that the hotel has a bit of a European flair, we were greeted with "bonjour" at the door several times, and several staff members are French. The menu at the restaurant ('Ici") reflects this, as well.
Wonderful amenities in the room, Hermes, the wife was delighted with those. Very comfy beds, nice towels, very quiet.
We'd go back in a heart beat, and will. Our first Sofitel visit will not be our last!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 April 2011

This was our first trip to the US and we were fortunate to have work paying for the hotel otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford the hotel. We have however been lucky enough to stay in several other 5 star hotels and resorts around the world and this was right up there in standard. It's pricey but then that's the way it is in the US if you want somewhere decent to stay and you couldn't get a better location if you wanted to fit in some site seeing around the monuments and White House. We walked everywhere and loved every minute of it.

The hotel is beautiful with that french style you can't beat. We also stayed in the New York one which was equally as lovely but the rooms in Washington were bigger as was the ensuite. Both have very good gyms

We just can't say enough about the two Sofitel Hotels we stayed in - they and the staff were fabulous. We would love to go back

Room Tip: Go for a room as high up as you can
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Prophetstown, Illinois
Reviewed 9 April 2011

Spent 5 nights in Junior suite - room very nive - bed and pillows great - view terrible into alleyway....was OK to good. About 3 blocks from White House - Use the metra to get around - cheap and easy! Don't eat breakfast directly across the street !

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed 5 April 2011

$450/night. No coffee/tea maker. View looked into a dark alley. Excellent breakfast. So expensive. Then they charge you for internet. No newspaper delivered.

Room Tip: Demand a room with a view looking out.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jpatter1
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Thank you for choosing the Sofitel for your visit in Washington D.C. I do apologize you seemed to have a less than satisfactory stay with us. For your next visit I would like to inform you that we have complimentary coffee makers and hot water kettles upon request, and we offer complimentary coffee and tea in Le Bar in the mornings. We offer delivery of newspapers such as the Washington Post, New York Times, Financial Times and Wall Street Journal to your room, and we have them also available for guests in the restaurant and bar. We have a lovely selection of Luxury rooms that have a street view into downtown Washington D.C. so be sure to request one for your next visit. We are happy to offer complimentary internet for guests 24 hours a day in our business center. I hope to welcome you back again to enjoy these amenities!

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll
Guest Relations Manager
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I recently stayed in the Sofitel for an extended weekend, and while I have no major complaints I don't understand the rave reviews either. The hotel is convenient located near Lafayette Square, and the staff are very pleasant. The room, while convertable, was a bit drab (all shades of beige) and had no free wifi in the room, which I found rather cheap given the rates charged. There is also no coffee machine in the room, and no newspapers made available. (Once again, something which they could easily offer given the rate). The soap was not change once, after three days for two people. As I said, I have no major complaints, but I have certainly stayed in nicer hotels for much less.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank IBlair
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to know you enjoyed our convenient location. Next time you visit be sure to take advantage of our complimentary newspaper delivery to your room. We would be happy to send you a coffee maker or hot water kettle to your room, or you can enjoy complimentary coffee and tea in Le Bar in the mornings. Our business center is open 24 hours with complimentary internet and printing services. Our rooms are serviced daily and turndown service is offered in the evenings, so I am very sorry you experienced otherwise. We hope for the opportunity of welcome you back again soon.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll
Guest Relations Manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I recently took my daughters on a trip to Washington DC and chose the Sofitel hotel on line with little thought. I am very glad I did. It is well located, only a few blocks from the Whtie House but on a relatively quiet street. The staff was very acommodating from the front desk when we had initial problems with our room to the concierge who gave very helpful advice and directions. The room service was also excellent with excellent food.
My teenage wanted to take the bed home it was so comfortable. I cannot say enough!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family