“The Sofitel provides excellent service, quality employees, and excellent bedding - slept like a baby!”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #21 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 April 2011

From the moment we arrived, tired after a long trip, we were made to feel welcome and totally relaxed. We had breakfast and was served by Abdul who took excellent care to make sure we were well fed and treated like his most important customer.

The reception employees were helpful - French - and delightful. I thought for a moment that we made a stop in Paris... I loved it.

The experience was memorable - and by the way, the bedding was sooo comfortable. We were tired and it was like heaven sliding into those cool sheets - pulled up the duvet and slept like babies.

Go to the Sofitel if you want to enjoy every aspect of your hotel experience.

Liz Lydick

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Washington DC

Reviewed 25 April 2011

My husband and I got a great deal on the Sofitel through jetsetter.com. We stayed 3 nights over Easter weekend. The hotel is in a great location, a block from the metro and close to restaurants. We arrived early (noon-ish), and our room wasn't ready, but the hotel held our bags and we had time go exploring. The room-service breakfast was good but extremely expensive ($20 plus tax, tip and delivery charge). Valet parking was also pricey at $42/day, but we opted for it since it was easier than trying to find parking. We had a king superior room on the 8th floor with no view. The room was a decent size and the bathroom was lovely - full-size hairdryer (not the flimsy wall mounted kind), large stall shower with separate bath, and a separate makeup mirror. We heard some room noise in the hallway but we couldn't hear anything in our own room. Overall the hotel was great - nice rooms, superb location. If we were able to get the same great rate I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We stayed one night before going back to Paris we had 2 connected room. The hotel is very comfortable and the Staff very friendly. The hotel is uniquely located and the fitness room is fabulous.

Only negative point is the breakfast , it take too long and price is too expensive, will recommend to take outside

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I believe that this is one of the nicest, and the nicest city hotel that I have ever stayed in. We travel a lot, and was a bit apprehensive when I saw that AAA had rated this a 3 star hotel. Please, please please disregard this!! Everything about this hotel is magnificent--the staff , the food, the beautiful room, the Frette linens and the location. I cannot say enough great things about the entire experience. Do yourself a favor and stay here for the utmost in superior comfort. Fasil, Georgianna, Abdel and the entire front staff were outstanding. The management has done a remarkable job providing a beautiful experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank funsouthofboston
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We stayed at the Sofitel in Washington for 4 nights in a luxury room and it met all our expectations. Check-in was efficient and our room was as requested, although I do think for the price the room was a little small.

The service was excellent from all staff we had contact with. Room service staff were professional and polite and housekeeping visited twice a day ensuring our room was always clean and tidy. The restaurant and room service menus could have a greater variety, especially for the vegetarian diet, however the meals we had were good.

The hotel's location is second to none. We walked to many Smithsonian museums, the White House and the Washington Monument. We also walked to the Verizon centre for NBA and NHL games.

Overall the hotel had everything you would expect a hotel of this quality to have, I just felt it was missing a sort of charm or personalized touch. It may be
focussed more towards the business traveller rather than the tourist. However, due to its location it is ideal as a tourist base.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 16 April 2011

If you don't mind coming back at night from a hard day's work to find your wet towels still on the bathroom floor and your trash still in the bins, then otherwise, this is a very good hotel. Basically, housekeeping made the bed. That's it. The bathroom was untouched, the trash bins were full, the water glasses unchanged. While the front desk apologized, they also wondered if maybe housekeeping was still in the middle of cleaning the room and simply took a break. At 9 PM? I don't think so... or at least I hope not. After my notification, new towels were quickly brought up and the trash emptied.

On the plus side, the room was nice, the bed was very comfortable, my check-in experience was wonderful, and the breakfast in the hotel was excellent. But for $400/night (and an extra charge for internet), I did not expect such a significant problem with the service.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank BerthaB
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2011

Thank you very much for choosing the Sofitel. We appreciate your feedback. I am happy you were able to enjoy the comfortable rooms and delicious French breakfast. I am sorry, however, for your experience with our housekeeping service. We pride ourselves in attention to detail and personal service, and I can assure you this is atypical of our standard. We have looked into it to ensure that the situation does not reoccur, and I hope that you will join us again to experience true Sofitel luxury.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 12 April 2011

I loved this hotel! Stayed her for a weekend trip with the girls for cherry blossoms. First time I've been back to visit D.C. since I was a kid and this hotel was located in the perfect spot! We had a 10 minute sub-$3 train ride to a station about 2 blocks away from hotel. Staff all greets you in French which is such a great touch! Easy check-in and then on to a fabulous room -- lots of pluses -- best beds and linens ever (and that includes all the four seasons and westin's i've stayed at!), L'occitane products in the bathroom, large room with a nice sitting area -- only downside was that there was no view but I didn't really care. Location was fantastic, so unbelievably close to the white house (2 blocks!) and the national mall with all the monuments. I didn't try any of the restaurants but did spend time in the bar downstairs and it was very nice, great atmosphere, good drinks and interesting "bar-nibbling" food provided(marinated carrots, popcorn and nuts). I didn't try the gym here as there was a new one a few blocks away that I tried on a trial basis -- Mint -- great spin class! I also decided to do a run around the mall and the staff offered me water as I left and again as I returned -- very nice service! I would stay here upon any return to D.C.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends