“I just love Sofitel... always!”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 September 2011

The room was really great, breakfast is excelent! Kind Staff, like always! And it is near the White House! There is no reason why you should pay more to stay at other hotel...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Washington DC

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Relaxing, attentive staff, a bit expensive but you are in a big city. Clean quiet rooms. Great location relative to getting around in the city. Nothing but positive experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Sofitel hotel was nice. We had a beautiful room and the staff was very friendly. The only thing that I didn't like was that breakfast was not included and if you wanted to pay for breakfast it was very expensive. I believe it was $17 for crossaints and coffee or $22 for an american style breakfast. My husband and I ended up walking to Starbucks each morning for breakfast. Although one morning we had to leave early to go visit Mount Vernon and so we had to order the american style breakfast. I was good but certainly not worth $22 per person!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christy3
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2011

Thank you for choosing us for your visit to Washington. I am glad you were able to enjoy the hotel during your stay. Our Executive Chef, Franck Loquet, has designed an a la carte breakfast menu with a wide array of choices for every palette. There is no fixed price for the menu, and whatever you enjoy comes with our complimentary bread ritual, viennoiserie, that includes croissants, pain chocolat, pain raisin and a selection of other breads. There is also a complimentary fruit smoothie amuse bouche, that is included in every meal. I hope you will be able to join us again and enjoy a lovely breakfast experience either in iCi, or on the fresh air terrace.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This Sofitel is quite nice. The location is excellent and the facility is very attractive. The lobby is elegant as well as hip, although a bit small. The bar area is very comfortable and busy, without being a joint. My room was large and well-decorated, but could have used more lighting and more hangers. This was an excellent value, too.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I spent six days there in September with four other family members while visiting DC. The service here is the best I've ever seen in my life. All staff without exclusion are both very friendly and very professional, which is not an easy combination to have. Special thanks to Souad who was extremely helpful when we ran into trouble in finding airline reservations in the last second. The concierge also was also pretty good.

The rooms were modern, we had two suites, the beds were extremely comfortable, the bathrooms were lovely (no locks though), not sure what kind of soap they had in the bathroom but it smelled very good. Two flat screen TVs in the room. Room service was on-time. Elevators were very quick to arrive.

They offer free tea and coffee in the bar between 5-10 am. There's also Starbucks one block away.

Almost everybody speaks French there, and everyone speaks English for sure. Some speak other languages too. The lobby isn't huge but again it's not a very big hotel. There are some books in the lobby about fashion and Washington DC.

The hotel restaurant (ICI) is great, we had lunch there, I'll review it separately but I'll give it 5 stars too. They also have a separate bar which I didn't try but it's on the street level.

The location of the hotel is great if you don't mind a little but of walking. The white house is only 3 blocks away and most museums are within 10-20 minute walk. There are numerous excellent restaurants within 1-3 blocks away (Old Ebbit Grill, Potenza, Siroc, and of course ICI the restaurant inside the hotel)

Some bakeries/coffe shops nearby: au bon pain within 4 blocks, le pain quotidien within 5-6 blocks which I heard is really good but I didn't try it, and starbucks is one block away.
Potbelly sandwiches has different locations close to the hotel as well. There are close CVS pharamacies and a post office. If you need anything just ask the concierge as they know the area very well.

My sister wanted to do shopping in DC (go figure!) and she found Filene's basement (on 14th and F street) which is about 3 blocks away and she said she found some excellent deals there.

Cons: no swimming pool, the other thing I didn't like about the room is that the view wasn't great at all, I expect when you pay more for a suite room to get a better view but that didn't apply here. That was disappointing but that wouldn't affect my 5-star rating.

Overall, this is a wonderful hotel, I paid there more than what I usually do for a hotel stay but it was worth it. I have a conference in DC next year and I will skip staying at the hotels near the conference center just to stay in this one. Merci beaucoup Sofitel!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We had a quick trip into Washington for an evening. I had found a great rate for this hotel on travel zoo. The hotel is located near the White House in the heart of the city. Our room had a king bed, but was an interior room. Still, for the price, the room was spacious and very clean. The amenities were great, and the bed was comfortable.
We made use of the concierge,- who was friendly but gave us out dated advice to a local museum. We also caught a quick sandwich in the bar. The food was good, but it was pricey. Finally, my pet peeve was that wireless was $9.95/night- ridiculous when you get it for free in lesser hotels.
In all, would we stay here again. Yes,- given the right price. We did enjoy our stay there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marigot1
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Stayed here in a suite 3 nights for a service at Arlington. The location is great ... only a few blocks from the White House. Over the last 10 years I average 10-18 nights a year at the Sofitel NYC and love it - like a second home to me. When possible, I try to stick with Sofitel, but increasing I am finding that there is a growing disparity among their properties ... Miami, NY, Paris, they are not all on the same level. But I had high expectations this being D.C. The rooms are nice, front desk staff was great. Concierge a little spotty. The advance work for me was well done, but trying to get directions to a prebooked appointment, a different concierge admitted that she was new & didn't know where the address was (3 blocks away).

The abismal part of the stay was Food & Beverage. On every level they just tanked. We continually had to hunt down servers, bus people, even the manager for everything from beverages to placing the order to getting the check. The Gaby restaurant at the Sofitel NY provides flawless F&B and I was expecting the same here.

I left something in my room & upon returning home tried to contact someone, ANYONE, hellllooo? Endless phone calls to this property go to voice mail boxes & no one ever returns a call. It took calls to the GM to get any action ... and something that a front desk staff member could have easily arranged with housekeeping. It was unbelievable. Quite simply NO ONE ANSWERS A PHONE here. You get the feeling they are sorely understaffed, undertrained & overwhelmed.

I love paying $600 a night for my room & then seeing a $9.95 PER DAY internet charge on the bill. When will hotels GET IT? Charge me $625 and just include the damn internet already.

This is a pretty property, and perfectly located. Just don't leave anything behind you ever want to see again, and eat elsewhere.

If you get a survey when you get home, don't bother taking the time - they don't read or respond. The GM in NYC always thanks me for my feedback ... but with NYC they are always great experiences! C'est la vie!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank L D

Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate knowing about our guest experiences. I am disappointed to know that you had an unsatisfactory experience in our outlets. We pride ourselves in our service and attention to detail, and I can assure you that your experience was atypical of both. Our restaurant, iCi Urban Bistro is currently ranked #1 on Trip Advisor. I apologize that you did not have a true Sofitel dining experience and hope to welcome you back to enjoy a delicious meal and impeccable service from our brand new Executive Chef, Franck Loquet.

We take lost and found very seriously, tracking and securing any items left behind by guests. We have a phoneline dedicated especially to lost and found which our Security team monitors, responding to guests within 24 hours. You are always more than welcome as well to call the hotel and request to speak with the Guest Relations Manager for assistance.

We thank you again for your loyalty to the Sofitel brand, and hope you will join us again at Sofitel Lafayette Square.

Truly,