“excellent hotel, in an excellent location”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #20 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We had just a few days to spend in Washington, and were very pleased to see that we peaked an excellent hotel to stay in. The stuff were very helpful and always asked if they can help, the room felt warm and cozy and every attraction in the mall was in a walking distance.
The rooms are big and the shower is spacy. They also have a shower and a bath so you can choose which one you prefer. In one of the days we walked in to hear a nice music from a local radio station while in another we were invited to the hotel's party for Easter.
The location is also great. a near-by subway station on one hand and the white-house and the mall in 5 minutes walking distance on the other hand.
We picked it based on TripAdvisor tips, and would keep on recommending it to anyone looking for a good hotel in Washington.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 April 2012

It's all in the details...walked in the room to classical music on bose speakers, luxurious linens and towels (Frette robes!), chocolates w/ a welcome note, gorgeous room and bathroom. Absolutely quiet. Courteous service. Amazing, and got a relatively good deal when i was there. Would stay here again in a heartbeat given the choice.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was in DC for a work conference and stayed at this hotel. I chose it because of the great ratings and I got a good deal. However, I was not impressed with the service and the room was average. A few small things bothered me (stain on the chair, only replacing one washcloth in the bathroom, etc), but I did have a big problem with service. I used the iron my first morning at the hotel with no problem. Second morning, I get up and go to iron my clothes for my conference - they had taken the iron from my room that was there the day before. I called down to the desk and they said they would bring one up - 20 minutes later still no iron. I called again and another 10minutes later they finally brought me an iron.....that had no cover for the water hole. So now I was running later for my conference and ended up having half ironed pants with water on them because I was in a hurry. Although cleanliness was fine and room was average for the price, not overall impressed with this hotel's service. Best part was location - very close to White House/National Mall and a metro station which takes 20min to get to Reagan airport.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MBrown357
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed in this Hotel in April 2012, stay was marred by hotel saying that wholesaler that we had prepaid booking with had cancelled booking, after calls back to our NZ travel agent this was eventually sorted out, hotel is now trying to deny this ever happened, be very wary

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Napier1
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We reserved a twin room via our travel agency. At arrival in the hotel the receptionist told us that we got a double room with one bed. There were no twin rooms available at that moment, but for the inconvenience he gave us a bigger room with a bigger bed.
The first night we ate at the ICI Urban Bistro, very good hotel restaurant with good service and good food. Also the bar in the hotel with a sidewalk terrace is very good. Every morning there's complementary coffee and tea at the hotel bar.

The room was very nice with a city view, a huge bed and a nice bathroom with separate shower and bath. The amenities were restocked every day.

Overall a very good experience, very friendly hotel staff, clean rooms and close to everything in D.C.!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jeroen D
Reviewed 22 April 2012

From the moment Jean Paul(and his smile) greets you to your night cap with Cecilo(and his smile) in the bar you feel welcomed and cared for. The Sofitle is special. I have stayed here many times over the years. No better hotel experience. The staff makes the difference. The hotel rooms are very adequate however the people are world class. Thanks for making me part of you family.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel Washington in April of 2012. We found it very well located for DC activities (and close to the Metro as well). Weekend pricing had a suite at the same price as a king room, so while we really did not need the suite, it was fun to have 2 bathrooms and a sitting room. Our rooms were clean, calm and well appointed. Features included mini headboard reading lights and art with "art lighting," as well as Evian and coffee in the rooms, and Hermes bath products. I would recommend a higher floor, for distance from street noise and lighting. The bar and restaurant were both very good.

Room Tip: Higher, if possible. 218 is directly over the bar: Friday nights are busy and the music can be hea...