“Simply Wonderful”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #21 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I like this hotel so much, I write this in their terrific bed overlooking 15th street. The staff have been delightful, rooms top quality & many amenities - pet menu, pillow menu, etc. The bar & restaurant are superb. The manager (Renou) gave us a charming welcome note w/ delight. The bathroom is elegant. Location is perfect.

High marks all around - if you read my other reviews, that is not common.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KipL
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Washington DC

Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is a very nice hotel with thoughtful staff. Well decorated with spacious rooms, the location near the White House puts it in the heart of the District. It is nearest the McPherson rail station (Blue Line from DCA and Orange Line to other points). If you've stayed in one of the better Grand Hyatts, you'll have a good idea of the Sofitel experience.

My room on the second floor was spacious, bright and quiet. The toiletries and related items were very complete with several unique items probably more appreciated by female guests. There were abundant and conveniently places plugs so recharging my stash of electronics was no problem. There was a minibar, but no in room coffee, a fact I detest. C'mon folks, you stock a room with liquor but no coffee? Really? Unfortunately, this is a common practice with higher end hotels. Bizarre.

There were other shortcomings. The bed had a bottom sheet and a duvet containing a comforter, but no top sheet. During the heat wave we had, this meant either cranking up the AC all the way and sleeping under the comforter (still too warm), or sleeping with no cover at all. There was no middle ground. Personally, I could not get comfortable with this arrangement. Others attending the same conference had the same complaint. Since the Duvet is fairly elaborate, one wonders how often it's actually laundered. Mine smelled fresh and looked clean, but I did not see replacement duvets on the maids' carts.

The lack of in room coffee was a problem. Having a European employer, I'm apt to be on the phone early in the morning. In this case, the room service line was busy so I could get neither coffee nor food until lunch due to the length of my calls. Surely, this is not normal, but this was not the only example of service problems.

After checking in, I had to leave immediately for a speech and tried to find water. The room wasn't ready yet (I arrived early in the day), but there are no water fountains in the lobby. Other hotels have self service water stations, but this one requires you to go to the concierge and ask. He was intently engaged on a phone call, and not even the bellman could go behind the desk for a bottle. I left without. In fairness, the bellman caught up to me half a block way and brought me a nice cold bottle of water, so kudos to him.

Overall, the hotel is very nice, very elegant and very welcoming, but it seemed a bit understaffed at times. In room internet is $9.95, so I used a Verizon aircard instead. My schedule prevented me from using the fitness center or restaurant. The location is terrific near business, tourist, and dining locations. The Sofitel is ranked #2 in DC on TA, but I can't agree. I prefer the Grand Hyatt nearby or (especially) the Mandarin Oriental (location not nearly as good).

Room Tip: My room on the second floor was fine. Couldn't see any reason to prefer one part fo the hotel o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback on your experiences with us last month. It appears you were able to enjoy many of the conveniences of our property, and the luxury of our personal service from the Sofitel team. I do apologize you were not made aware that we have complimentary coffee makers available for the rooms, as well as complimentary coffee service in Le Bar each morning. The concierge is always stocked with chilled bottles of Evian water for our guests free of charge, and on hot days, we set up a water station in the lobby as well. Our famous SoBeds follow the European standard of being sans topsheet, but for your comfort and convenience, we have plenty available upon request. The duvet covers are removed and professionally laundered between every guest stay. For guests enjoying longer stays, they are washed every few days or more frequently if requested. I hope you are able to join us again for the opportunity to have a true Sofitel experience.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Crol
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was my first stay and it's a beautiful hotel. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. When I went to my room, there were chocolate covered strawberries, bakery and a note to someone else. I went to the front desk and told her I may have the wrong room, which she apologized and stated I could have the snacks! Later on the toilet was running for a very long time which I just jiggled the handle and didn't bother the hotel with it. After my stay, I received a survey about my stay which I did mention the toilet and within 24hrs the hotel manager emailed me to apologize and stated it was fixed. Great location and great staff,

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Pluses:

Very quiet hotel near all the downtown DC attractions.
You can request a small refrigerator for free.
Very comfortable beds.
Metro nearby.
Five Guys nearby!

Minuses:

There isn't a lot nearby in the way of shopping or things to do during the day that aren't visiting a monument or museum. You'll pretty much have to take the train to do any hardcore shopping.

Food is good but expensive.

Overall:

Stayed for a conference but brought my wife along. I was fine with the place but she was fairly bored after the first two days. Nice place, but you do pay a fairly hefty room rate, so I'd expect that.

Room Tip: Was on two different sides of the hotel, view was unremarkable from each.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mikhail77
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We are a family of 5, with 3 kids. We love here. Great space, location, and people.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Cynthia, the concierge, at our hotel was OUTSTANDING!! From the moment I called 3 weeks in advance of our stay until the moment we checked out, she accommodated us in every way possible. This was our first trip to D.C. and it was recommended that we book tours and make restaurant reservations in advance. So, on Memorial day I called to speak to a concierge to begin doing so. Cynthia spent at least an hour on the phone with me to book tours and make restaurant reservations, as well as, help map our our daily itenerary. Our trip was perfect thanks to her! She had the tickets we requested for the Holocaust Museum ready for us the moment we checked in to meet with her. She guided us in using the public transportation system, giving us directions for walking to points of interest, and sent us to wonderful restaurants...always with a smile on her face. She is a gem!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank letsgo716
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful weekend in D.C. We loved the Sofitel - the typical amenities, gracious staff and in this case an outstanding location. The restaurants in the area were terrific and we walked everywhere. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family