“A lovely hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Campbelltown, Australia
“A lovely hotel”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Sofitel is located in a very convenient spot close to tourist sites and our tour bus stopped not far from it. The rooms are very nice, though the view from ours was pretty crap with a building wall very close to our window, but that can't be helped. I was disappointed with the bath size. It was really small for a 4 star hotel. I've stayed in nice hotels for a lesser cost that have a big jacuzzi. The service was great, the staff lovely and helpful and the bistro was really nice. I recommend the icecream/sorbet dessert.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank LesaMeschelle
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Those sorbets are the best! Chef Bitauld makes them each fresh according to the season, and it is hard to pick a favorite. We are committed to providing personalized service to make our guests feel like they are visiting their home away from home. For your next stay, be sure to request a luxury king room which offers a street view instead of the interior rooms. We have something for each preference, just ask!

Anna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Excellent hotel if you want to see the sights. Friendly but professional manner. Rooms were excellent. Clean and modern. Stayed here for 4 nights in August and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Great base to use to see the city and close to the metro.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank C D
Thank you for choosing us. It seems you were able to take advantage of our excellent location in the heart of downtown Washington D.C. We make sure you have a comfortable, relaxing and welcoming environment waiting for you to come back from those long days touring the monuments and museums!

Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I only stay at 4-5 star Hotels, We are very picky about cleanliness and quality. We very much enjoyed our stay. Everything is close and the Hotel is beautiful. the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that the beds are made European way, which means there is no top sheet on the bed. You end up sleeping on a sheet, but with only a comforter over you. We were so tired we did not notice it until we got hot under a comforter and I usually only sleep with a sheet on me anyway. However the staff fixed that for us the rest of the stay and slept great rest of the week.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Emptynester1
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. As a guest familiar with luxury accommodations, I am happy to know that your time at Sofitel Washington D.C. lived up to your standards. As you mentioned, our beds are are made European style, and with a simple request, we would be happy to adapt that for guests who prefer a top sheet as well. We hope to welcome you back soon, and we will be sure to include your top sheet preference for future visits.

Melbourne
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here as a last minute selection and we were so happy we did. Rooms were large and lean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was perfectly quiet.

The staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly.

The next time we are in D.C. We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
I am glad we were able to accommodate your last minute trip, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I had a three night get away from the kids. The hotel was perfect for a couple traveling without kids. It had a nice bar, eating on the street and never heard a noise from other patrons. The staff was extremely friendly. The conceirge gave a great recommendation to eat at the Old Ebbit Grill, a historic restaurant, just down the block. We loved it so much we ate there twice! The hotel was just north of the White House and walking distance to most attractions. The beds were super comfortable and great cooling system in the room after a long day of site seeing.

Room Tip: The view from our room was not good so be sure to ask if this is important to you!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AllisonAmeliaSarah
We are happy to be your destination for any length of getaway! Old Ebbitt is a great historic neighborhood gem, and our concierge can recommend plenty of excellent restaurants for all tastes. D.C. is quickly becoming a prime destination for foodies!!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Being a broke law school student, I do a lot a research before I spend the little savings I have on expenses, so I was very much looking forward to this trip after I booked the room for 4 nights, and I was even more excited when I began reading the reviews, but after the wonderful greeting at the door everything went down hill.

I booked a 4 night stay to celebrate my birthday and our engagement over the labor day weekend. We arrived Friday afternoon, and so did the problems. We needed to take quick showers so we could make our dinner reservations, but we didn't because of the shower being clogged and overflowing. After my girlfriend showered and as I was about to get in, I noticed the water never drained, and it was actually overflowing into the bathroom, so we called the front desk who said they would send someone right up to fix it. We waited a little over an hour and no-one showed up, so I had to wash myself in the sink and we missed our reservation.

The next day, after walking around in the 90 degree heat, we came back to the room and I jumped in the shower, only to have it overflow again. This time they sent someone up within 20 minuets, but the problems continue to get worse.

On Sunday, again after walking around all day in the 90 degree heat, we show up to our room and the air conditioning was not working. They again sent someone up to fix the problem, which was only a temporary fix, because the last day of out trip it was out again. By this point we were so frustrated we didn't even bother calling the front desk because they didn't seem to care that everyday of our trip there was a problem with our room.

Also, I ordered a breakfast of 2 croissants and 2 danishes, which I was told was $21, but I was charged $40.

I was also disappointed in the "upgraded" room we received. I called a day in advance to see if there were any upgrades available, and to my excitement I was upgraded to a king room with a city view. This "upgrade" was on the 4th floor looking directly at the side of a building. If this is what they consider an upgrade, I would hate to see what a regular room looked like.

This was supposed to be a long romantic weekend, but it turned into more of a frustration and disappointment, and by the final day I was looking forward to getting out of the hotel and back home more than anything.

I think I would try a Sofitel again, because there really are a lot of amazing reviews and maybe we just had bad luck with our room.

But as for my recommendation for a nice hotel in DC, I would look at the W. We have stayed in the W before a few times in Boston, and while we were in DC we visited the W up the street, I wish I booked there rather than the Sofitel. I had a high school friend who was in town the same weekend, and was staying at the W. They paid about $20 more per night, but received a free upgrade to a room with an amazing view, and drink vouchers.

5 Thank Brett S
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. You are absolutely right that this is not a typical experience at Sofitel, as we pride ourselves in providing luxury accommodations for both business and leisure guests. For your next booking, be sure to book directly with the hotel, contact me directly if you would like, and I am confident you will have a fabulous experience like the majority of our Trip Advisor guests whose reviews you have read. We look forward to welcoming you back again.