“Excellent location, superb staff, top-quality rooms.”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #20 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Just a few blocks from the White House, this hotel is simply excellent. They make their service look effortless, and it is worth every penny. Very nicely appointed rooms, an outstanding concierge and bar staff, and many of them speak fluent French. It's quite a nice temporary home for a visit to D.C.

• Stayed: April 2014
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

We strive to provide our guests with the exact service you mention, and to create an environment that makes each and every visitor feel at home. As you mentioned, we have numerous French speaking Ambassadors, representing countries such as France, Morocco, Togo, Mali, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Tunisia and the United States. For international travelers, we also have Ambassadors who speak Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish, German, Russian, Portuguese, Italian, Farsi, Vietnamese, Croatian and more! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Anna

Write a ReviewReviews (3,278)

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Hotel and staff were very nice. It is not as expensive as others in the area but it is still expensive with a standard Bacon,eggs OJ & Coffee breakfast running over $30. The mini bar in the room did not list prices and we found out later the bottle of water, coconut water were about $7 each. To have a shirt pressed was going to cost $22.
The restaurant is rated number 11 out of 1730 in DC and it is across the street from a crab place called Joes that is a nice upscale place to eat. There is a sauna/fitness/spa a few blocks away that they will give you a discount too. My cousin tried it and absolutely loved the place and they did not charge him at all.
The White House is only about 2 to 3 blocks away. we didn't find out until we left but it is definitely with in walking distance. Their is also a liqueur store about 3 blocks away which I would suggest going to get your water/soda snacks and other beverages if you want to save money.
Hotel is French themed and they greet you in French.
Rooms very as far as lay outs but they are nice. Our bathroom had a separate shower and tub with excellent ventilation so the room did not fog. Best mirror I have ever seen for taking a selfie.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy you enjoyed your visit to the city and you pointed out some excellent points about the hotel. (Especially the quality selfie-taking mirrors!!) For your next visit make sure you request a complimentary mini fridge so you can keep things cold without having to move anything from the time-sensored mini bar. We hope you will be back to join us soon!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked this hotel on Priceline.com. After that, here is the sequence of events:

My daughter decides to join me on the trip.
I call the on the phone before arrival and request a twin room. Not a change in category mind you, just a twin room.
They say the "change fee" is $40 per night. I decline.
Get to the hotel. Again ask for a twin room. They say it is available.
Now they say it's an "upgrade fee". Offer me the twin for an extra $40 per night. I decline.
They then tell me only an upgraded room is available at no extra fee and put me in it with a king bed.
I ask to switch me to a twin room, even offering to take a downgrade. They say now a "change fee" of $40 a night applies. Again I decline.

Which is it, Sofitel, a "change fee" or an "upgrade fee"? Or is anything just at your convenience to pick the pocket of the consumer?

I resent these "classy hotels" being petty and cheap by just trying to nickel and dime the consumer out of petty fees.

Otherwise, the stay was fine.

Room Tip: Beware of altering your reservation because they will find every excuse to charge you a fee.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pixfield
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

The complication with booking rooms on third party sites like Priceline, is that these sites do not offer you the personalized reservation experience that we can at the hotel. We can tailor your accommodations to your needs and find the best possible rate for the category of room you are looking for. As in all hotels, the rate changes according to the category of the room, and modest upgrade fees can apply if you wish to change to a different room type than you booked, as is your case. The room booked was a superior king bedded room. Superior double rooms are a different category, and therefore a different price. The dfiference between the room you booked and the double you requested is $50, and our Front Desk Supervisor offered you a courtesy 10% discount off of this. It seems perhaps that this is where the confusion lies, so I invite you to contact me directly if you would like further clarification. For you next reservation, I suggest calling the hotel directly so we can provide you with the best available rate for a double room at the time.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The Sofitel operates under the mantra of quality customer service. We stayed for two nights in DC near the White House. When we checked in the front desk asked us why we were here. I said to celebrate my wife's birthday. She handed my wife a rose and told her happy birthday. No charge...

We go into our room, small but very comfortable. Ten minutes later there is a knock on the door. Room service brought up a small cake and fresh fruit with the words "Happy Birthday" on it. Again no charge...

Twenty minutes into the experience and we are hooked. Everything was high quality, the rooms were quiet and comfortable, and location was great. I am very please to write this review, and appreciate the level of quality service we received. I would recommend this to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AaronJKing

Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your special celebration weekend! I am thrilled to know your wife enjoyed her birthday visit, and that we had the opportunity to be a part of it. I have shared your kind words with Jean-Christophe Gras, who takes feedback to heart, and he will be sure to share with his team. Happy Birthday once more to your wife, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was a great hotel with a great location. Super nice staff that always had a pleasant greeting. Rooms were clean and comfy with really comfortable beds. The only complaint was the inconsistency in hot water for showers. This was the only DC hotel we called that would actually guarantee us adjoining rooms (traveling with 2 children and wanted some space). We would stay here again and definitely recommend the hotel to families visiting DC. I also travel for business a fair amount and would definitely choose for DC business travel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank trvlr609

Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your family trip to Washington D.C. We do, indeed, have a couple of options for families that desire connecting rooms. We have a superior king room that connects with a superior double room, as well as corner luxury kings on each floor that connect via an exterior door. There is also one prestige suite that connects to a luxury king room as well. I would recommend doing exactly what you did, and call the hotel directly to confirm availability and we can set up the reservations properly. We hope to welcome your family back again soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here last weekend for a quick, touristy trip to D.C., and I'm very pleased with our experience. The location is perfect - walking distance to the White House and the Mall, easy to catch a cab at any time of day/night. The service at the hotel was excellent. We were quickly and warmly greeted, had assistance with our luggage, check in was very quick and smooth, and we were surprised with an upgrade to a corner suite. The room was really nice, with simple yet classy decor, and one of the more comfortable hotel beds I've slept in. The breakfast at the hotel restaurant was delicious but PRICEY! $80 on breakfast for 2 (with no booze!) is a bit excessive for my taste but it was delicious! We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but we did enjoy a great meal at the stone crab restauarant across the street. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for the D.C. tourist experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mhunter29

Thank you for choosing us for your trip to Washington D.C. It seems you were able to enjoy some of our key advantages like central location, personalized service and luxury accommodations - Magnifique! I have shared your feedback with Jean-Christophe Gras, our General Manager and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon for your next visit.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Landed this from Hotwire and it was a great place to stay. Central location. My room was a bit bigger than average, good lighting, comparatively plush carpet, very comfy bed. Nice bathtub with spray thing and also shower. Water pressure was good.

The service and attitude of the staff is fabulous. Very friendly and eager to help.

The bar is very nice, a great place for a drink and bar food. A bit expensive but not too out of line for DC.

I had room service and they were on time and the food was great. I've had breakfast in the restaurant before and recommend it. Be sure to splurge on a croissant...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JoKnits

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I am certainly glad you found us! For your next visit, be sure to call the hotel directly and our in house Reservations team will be able to secure you the best possible rate. Often they can even match online rates from third parties, and like that you can enjoy the benefits of a personalized reservation with increased flexibility.