“Loved this hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

So much good in this place--full sized toiletries, robes and slippers, nice big room, inviting bar. I was bummed to not have in room coffee but they did have a nice free set up in the lobby. I'm not sure why the bar does last call at 11:30...as west coasters we were eager for a night cap and had to beg one night and go elsewhere another. Room 1035 was at the end of the hall and very quiet.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BethAnnSH123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Such a great stay at this hotel. Perfectly situated just around the corner from the Whitehouse and easy walking distance to practically everywhere. Rooms, food etc all pretty standard but the staff are just so pleasant. Really friendly, helpful and just fantastic customer service. Couldn't fault it.

Room Tip: Close to Whitehouse and walking distance to everywhere. Book a table for breakfast if you want to a...
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Arrived in DC with my wife on an early flight for long weekend visit--pleasantly surprised when the front desk clerk told us that he had a room ready for us. Well appointed room, average size, clean, comfortable bed--called for extra towels which were promptly produced. Spent a few days sightseeing--the Bar off the lobby was the perfect beginning (excellent complimentary coffee) and ending (beer/wine/cocktails in a comfortable setting) to each day. Doorman was ready with an umbrella for us on the one rainy day. Convenient to Metro and centrally located. Very helpful checking our bags upon checkout so we could explore the city our last day there before our flight out.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your visit to Washington D.C. We do our best to accommodate all requests for early arrivals, depending on availability, and I am glad we were able to get you in. I am pleased to know you enjoyed your room, the environment in Le Bar and the service you received from our Ambassadors. I hope you will consider us your hotel of choice for your future travels to our Nation's Capital.

Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Sofitel is our hotel of choice when visiting D.C., and we have never been disappointed over the many years that we have been staying here. Its great location makes it easy to walk to some of the major points of interest in the capital, and the hotel staff are always very helpful and pleasant. We stayed in a Luxury King on this 3-day visit; the room was spacious and well appointed, the bathroom large and spotlessly clean. The room was on the 4th floor and looked out over the front of the hotel on to the junction of 15th and H Streets; there was no external noise, and the sleep quality was great. It's good to be able to get a complimentary coffee or tea from the bar area in the morning. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel (but did have dinner there one evening). For breakfast, there are several places close by; for example, turn left out of the hotel, cross the road and you have a Starbucks and a Pret a Manger within a couple of hundred yards. While I prefer to seek out independent hotels when visiting places here and abroad, I usually opt for Sofitel in D.C. and New York as they are central and have always proved reliable.

Room Tip: The Luxury Rooms seem to be the ones which have an external view; the soundproofing is good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your loyalty to Sofitel Washington D.C., as well as to our sister property in New York City. It is a treat to have guests returning over the years, and we love to welcome back familiar faces. We are proud to be your home away from home in the city and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed in Sofitel for the first time. We like to stay in different parts of the city so it's easier to explore a little at a time. We were in DC this spring for a long weekend which coincided with the peak of the Cherry Blossom Festival. The staff were very friendly, for the most part. We visited the bar on a couple of occasions to have the bartender ignore us (while he seemed to be quite busy at the computer for an extraordinarily long period of time) and then they were understaffed with who appeared to be the manager providing table service once another table brought it to their attention that there were tables who were not being serviced. Other days, our server was attentive and prompt. Maybe it was the weekend, maybe it was just an employee with a poor work ethic? Our room was always tidy and room service was good. We may stay there again (not during the Cherry Blossom Festival). It was a nice location with mostly friendly staff.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Andrea R
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for choosing Sofitel Washington D.C. for your return visit to the city. I am pleased to know you enjoyed your accommodations, our location and overall the service you experienced. I have shared your comments our General Manager, Jean-Christophe Gras. We take all guest feedback seriously, and Jean-Christophe will address your experience with our team accordingly. I can assure you that this atypical of our standards for service in Le Bar, and even on a busy weekend like the Cherry Blossom Festival, you should not notice a difference in the attentiveness of our team or the personalized service we are so well known for. I hope to welcome you back again soon, and I am confident you will enjoy a truly magnifique stay!

Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Sofitel is a great property with a nice bar area and extra amenities. For example, it rained every day I stayed there and the doormen would walk me around with their umbrellas and call taxis for me. The room would have been perfect for a 1 or 2 night stay or if I had been traveling alone. It seems this property is designed for the solo business traveler who lives out of the suitcase. However, in my case, there were two of us traveling together and staying for almost a week - and it was difficult to unpack making it hard to just relax there. The closet was so small we could only hang up 2 days worth of clothes. They also did not provide enough hangers, and we had to call to request more. When they brought more hangers, one of them was broken and unusable. And, there were only 2 small drawers in the entire room - not even large enough to contain socks and undies much less a pair or two of jeans or a sweater. The bathroom was fairly large with a shower and bath separated which is nice. Two robes and slippers were provided which was lovely. There was only 1 sink. I had read a review before visiting that stated they had L'Occitane products. This was not the case when I was there - there were no L'Occitane products in my room. Also, they do not refresh or replace the products. So, by the 2nd day we ran out of shampoo and by the 3rd day we ran out of conditioner and it was never replaced. They also did not provide any products for the bathtub other than soap. The room is very large but I didn't care for the fact that the bed was right by the door meaning you can hear the activity in the hallway, the elevator dinging, etc. I found the bed to be very comfortable. Also, there are lots of outlets everywhere so it was very easy for us to charge all of our devices while we stayed there. There was one hiccup when we checked in - we were given our room number (931) and took our bags up to the room. But, when we got there there was a "maintenance tag" on the door and the door was open. We cautiously went inside, there was no one there, and called the front desk to inquire whether we should stay there or move. They said to stay there and they would get back to us with whether we should change rooms. We waited over an hour before they got back to us and then they said we should stay there. So we started unpacking. Right about the time we finished unpacking, maybe 20 minutes later (so about an hour and a half after we arrived at the hotel), we got another call asking if we wanted to change rooms. We said we had already unpacked, so they offered to send a fruit plate to our room at no charge. The fruit plate arrived 1.5 hours later and was very uninspired (see photo). Obviously we could not really complain since it was free, but it was just another annoyance when checking in that everything was seeming to go wrong. One final note: Everyone speaks with a french accent in this hotel, and I speak a little bit of French myself, but it became frustrating when they appear not to understand simple English such as "taxi" or "clean the room please" or "why is there a maintenance tag on our door." Overall, while this is a very nice hotel, I did not have an enjoyable experience and I would not stay there again unless it was only for 1 or 2 nights by myself.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 931!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Anna Chaley C, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed account of your experience with us. First and foremost, I hope that the meetings went well and that your husband enjoyed all of the happenings with the National Restaurant Assocation. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, and essential in order to maintain the level of luxury service that our guests have come to expect and appreciate. I apologize for the confusion at check in. I can assure you that this was a result of a rare miscommunication, and I am sorry that that was your first impression. On a small side note, almost one year ago, Softel Hotels launched a new line of bath amenities featuring products from Lanvin, so we no longer carry L'Occitane. I have addressed all of our departments and shared your concerns. For your next visit, I invite you and your husband to book directly through Anna Chaley Croll, our Guest Relations Manager. I am confident that when you return, you will be treated with a true Sofitel experience.

Jean-Christophe Gras
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed in the Sofitel Washington DC for four nights with my wife, for a private trip.
As everytime we pick Sofitel, everything was above average: the welcome upon arrival, the attention of all staff, the amazing and huge room, the brand new bedroom, the location...
Sleep quality was outstanding.
Not a single complaint, I just can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Go for higher rooms: they get lots of light from the street as buildings are not too tall in DC.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your loyalty to Sofitel hotels worldwide! I am pleased to know that with your experience in our sister properties, that you found Sofitel Washington D.C. to live up to your expectations. I hope we will be your home away from home, and someday soon I would love to see a new Sofitel in Copenhagen!

Tak,