“Fantastic stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Fantastic stay!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked a long weekend over 4th of July 2014 holiday at the Sofitel and had the most fantastic stay. I booked here because of its location across the street from the White House and all attractions. I originally booked a superior room with two double beds to months prior (the hotel was already practically booked solid for the holiday) for under $270 per night. When we arrived on July 4th, we were greeted with an exceptionally friendly, knowledgeable staff, from valet to concierge to the front desk. I felt like royalty, the staff went out of their way to make our stay wonderful. I also asked for an upgrade to a suite should anyone cancel, and "Joseph," went out of his way to accommodate our request by calling my cell to let me know a suite became available. Our suite and bathroom were spacious, clean, beds, pillows and bedding were high quality and very very comfortable. Details are of the utmost importance to this hotel chain, and every time our room was cleaned, the beds were turned down perfectly, the Bose radio put on classical music, and any clothes we left on the floor were folded. A phone call to the front desk from our room was always greeted warmly with my full name. The fitness center provided all the essentials, including complimentary water, towels, headphones for the treadmill and bowls of fresh fruit. Attention to details + Sofitel = perfection!!! Would definitely stay here again!!!

Room Tip: I've learned from trip advisor to ask for rooms with a view. GIven this was a holiday weekend...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Toni K
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your visit to our Nation's Capital! I am thrilled that you so thoroughly enjoyed your visit over the 4th of July. I have shared your comments regarding your experience with our General Manager, Jean-Christophe Gras, who appreciates all guest feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Anna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cupertino, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As usual I booked my flights long in advance using hipmunk.com and then later I get around to the hotel, again on hipmunk.com (awesome website for flights and hotels - my best advice to my fellow travelers). This time we came down from NYC on Amtrak and this worked very well. Spent 4 nights to visit the sights and museums of Washington DC. Since the hotel is French owned, you are greeted with Bon Jour every time. Everything is top quality here and well appointed. My big complaint is that I had trouble adjusting my body temperature during sleep. The covers are thick, and there is not a single sheet under it. Hence, I would become hot; remove the covers and without a single sheet, I would get cold. And so it went all night. My wife did not complain since she seemed comfortable. Initially we walked to the museums, but after a day and a half of this we switched to the subway to save our aching feet. Also no coffee in room or lobby, so be aware.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us, but there are a few things to bring up for your next visit. As you mentioned, our beds are made in European style, so they do not include a top sheet, however we have them upon request, and would be happy to send one to the room. As for the availability of coffee, we offer complimentary coffee and tea each morning in Le Bar, and we can also send a complimentary coffee maker to the room if you would prefer. Just ask! I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely amazing hotel with amazing staff and amazing service! All members of staff couldn't have been more helpful! Food was brilliant in the restaurant! Hotel was a 5 min walk from the White House! Hotel was also spotless! Everything was of a really high standard! Would definitely recommend to friends!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It seems you were able to take advantage of our central location, in the heart of downtown Washington D.C. There is always more to see, and hope that you will be back to join us soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We were so impressed by our stay and will be recommending this hotel to others. A long Memorial Day weekend with a 19 month old, the Sofitel made it perfect. Posh rooms, and staff that went the extra mile. When we booked, we asked for a crib for the room. After checking in and getting our bags settled, we ventured around DC as the Metro was only 1/2 block away. That evening when we returned the crib was set up and baby toiletries were set in the crib, a pair of child size slippers, pillow and blanket, and a rubber ducky for the bath. Another evening we asked the concierge if a certain restaurant in Capital Hill had good food and was family friendly. We also got directions via the Metro. However, once there we came to find the restaurant closed. I called the concierge and asked if there were any local pizza places that would deliver to the hotel since our baby wouldn't make it another hour or so for a different restaurant. He was so kind and took my order, called it in and then personally delivered it to the room later with an apology for not confirming the restaurant was open! We will be staying here again!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank WkndTravelGal
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We strive to provide our guests with genuine, personal service. I am sorry that you experienced the inconvenience with the restaurant that we recommended, but I am glad to know it was remedied to your satisfaction, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!

Albuquerque
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Because my wife uses a walker, we had an ADA room, so these comments apply to that room. The room and bathroom are both large. A minor inconvenience is that the hanging closet space is minimal. The brand of the bed linens and towels is Frette, a very good French line. The Sofitel hotels are French owned. Our requests for extra bed pillows and bath mat were handled efficiently. The sophisticated staff are knowledgeable and very helpful. We were there in the summer; our room was not as cool at night as we would have liked. (We like the room very cool when we sleep.)

The hotel is located near good restaurants, and the food at the hotel is good. Taxis are generally stationed outside the hotel for outbound trips. We often used UBER to return us to the hotel from a museum. Our impressions of the hotel were positive, and we would return there.

ICI Restaurant at the Sofitel.
The food here is better than the average hotel food. The portions are very adequate rather than overwhelming large. The breakfasts were good although I was served slightly undercooked pancakes one day (which they corrected). The eggs benedict were very good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AbqWizard
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your experience. Guest feedback is imperative to maintain the level of personal service that we strive for. I have shared your comments regard with our General Manager, Jean-Christophe Gras. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Asheboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Everything about our stay here was great! It was our anniversary and I wanted everything to be perfect; Sofitel didn't disappoint. Thanks for the anniversary surprise in our room. The most friendly staff ever encountered. Will be back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Todd C
Thank you for choosing Sofitel Washington D.C. to celebrate your special occasion. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and the personal service we strive to provide to our guests. We hope you will make a tradition of visiting us, and Happy Anniversary once more!