“Elegant hotel with attentive staff”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After a fashionable but hectic stay in New York's Viceroy hotel, Washington itself but also this hotel appeared to us if we were in a different world. But not in negative sense. The hotel is traditional but elegant with huge rooms fitted with enough wardrobe space and comfortable beds. The bathroom was very clean fitted with amazing Lanvin amenities with very nice orange amber scent, which we loved. The regular complementary water supply was also attentive. We also loved the al fresco bar and restaurant with innovative contemporary French dishes and good wine selection. The concierge of the hotel was also very helpful, ready to advise also perfect restaurant choices. The staff was very attentive and caring. The check in and out process was efficient. The staff readily advised us on worth seeing sights in the neighborhood and was always decently moving around to be ready to open the door for us, help us into or out of the car, park the car or help with the luggage. The price of the stay was really worth it! I enjoy very much hotels where they live up to their promises and the staff is ready to go extra mile.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristina F
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your trip. I have shared your comments regarding your experience with our General Manager, Jean-Christophe Gras, who appreciates all guest feedback. We hope to be your hotel of choice in Washington D.C. and we look forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Washington DC

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I enjoyed my stay here. Mom and I loved the beds! The staff is amazing and it is what makes the hotel great. I've never stayed in a hotel like this that is attentive to the clients. When our cab pulled up there was always someone to open the cab door from the staff. Always welcoming faces and very happy to serve you. The hotel room was nice. The only complaint we had was we had a view of construction. That was the only downfall but the staff made up for it. You won't regret staying here.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your visit to our Nation's Capital! I have shared your comments regarding your experience with our General Manager, Jean-Christophe Gras, who appreciates all guest feedback. For your next visit, request a Luxury king or double room where you can enjoy a city view versus the interior that you booked on this visit. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Sofitel from July 3rd through July 5th. From the moment we checked in, everyone at the Sofitel treated us like royalty. The bellmen and valets unloaded our bags, put them in our room, and took custody of our car without needing any direction. As we checked in to the elegant lobby, the bellmen gave us a tour of the amenities. During our stay, we returned several times each to the hotel bar and the separate restaurant. They were both very romantic, with candlelit tables and fine French service. Every meal at the hotel restaurant was amazing! Their cuisine embodied a casual French sensibility that treated the guest to some very rich flavors without any of the traditional pretense common to French restaurants. Throughout the hotel, we found that any request we had was promptly fulfilled with a classy, French-accented enthusiasm. This made for a very special experience that my girlfriend and I truly enjoyed. Also, the hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of the White House and all the attractions on the National Mall. Even taxi rides to historic Georgetown were only about $10. Staying here allowed us to do and see everything with ease. Although we visited DC for sightseeing, we found the Sofitel was one of the major highlights of our trip. At least once in your lifetime, you should treat yourself to the Sofitel's fine art of service!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nocflite

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It seems you were able to take advantage of our central location, in the heart of downtown Washington D.C. We strive to provide our guests with genuine, personal service, and I am thrilled that you experienced just that. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

In a period building very close to the White House and walking distance from many sites, this hotel is an excellent choice. Spacious and comfortable rooms (city view rooms have views out over the street but are well insulated for noise) with great bathroom. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Nice bar and excellent food in the restaurant with daily changes in the specials dishes.
Overall, a great choice at a reasonable price given location and comfort level

Room Tip: choose a 'city view' room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank oxforduser

Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your visit! It seems you were able to take advantage of our central location, in the heart of downtown Washington D.C. I have shared your comments regarding your experience with our General Manager, Jean-Christophe Gras, who appreciates all guest feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked a long weekend over 4th of July 2014 holiday at the Sofitel and had the most fantastic stay. I booked here because of its location across the street from the White House and all attractions. I originally booked a superior room with two double beds to months prior (the hotel was already practically booked solid for the holiday) for under $270 per night. When we arrived on July 4th, we were greeted with an exceptionally friendly, knowledgeable staff, from valet to concierge to the front desk. I felt like royalty, the staff went out of their way to make our stay wonderful. I also asked for an upgrade to a suite should anyone cancel, and "Joseph," went out of his way to accommodate our request by calling my cell to let me know a suite became available. Our suite and bathroom were spacious, clean, beds, pillows and bedding were high quality and very very comfortable. Details are of the utmost importance to this hotel chain, and every time our room was cleaned, the beds were turned down perfectly, the Bose radio put on classical music, and any clothes we left on the floor were folded. A phone call to the front desk from our room was always greeted warmly with my full name. The fitness center provided all the essentials, including complimentary water, towels, headphones for the treadmill and bowls of fresh fruit. Attention to details + Sofitel = perfection!!! Would definitely stay here again!!!

Room Tip: I've learned from trip advisor to ask for rooms with a view. GIven this was a holiday weekend...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Toni K

Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your visit to our Nation's Capital! I am thrilled that you so thoroughly enjoyed your visit over the 4th of July. I have shared your comments regarding your experience with our General Manager, Jean-Christophe Gras, who appreciates all guest feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

As usual I booked my flights long in advance using hipmunk.com and then later I get around to the hotel, again on hipmunk.com (awesome website for flights and hotels - my best advice to my fellow travelers). This time we came down from NYC on Amtrak and this worked very well. Spent 4 nights to visit the sights and museums of Washington DC. Since the hotel is French owned, you are greeted with Bon Jour every time. Everything is top quality here and well appointed. My big complaint is that I had trouble adjusting my body temperature during sleep. The covers are thick, and there is not a single sheet under it. Hence, I would become hot; remove the covers and without a single sheet, I would get cold. And so it went all night. My wife did not complain since she seemed comfortable. Initially we walked to the museums, but after a day and a half of this we switched to the subway to save our aching feet. Also no coffee in room or lobby, so be aware.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us, but there are a few things to bring up for your next visit. As you mentioned, our beds are made in European style, so they do not include a top sheet, however we have them upon request, and would be happy to send one to the room. As for the availability of coffee, we offer complimentary coffee and tea each morning in Le Bar, and we can also send a complimentary coffee maker to the room if you would prefer. Just ask! I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely amazing hotel with amazing staff and amazing service! All members of staff couldn't have been more helpful! Food was brilliant in the restaurant! Hotel was a 5 min walk from the White House! Hotel was also spotless! Everything was of a really high standard! Would definitely recommend to friends!

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It seems you were able to take advantage of our central location, in the heart of downtown Washington D.C. There is always more to see, and hope that you will be back to join us soon.