“Magnifique!!!!!!!!”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #21 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

First time visiting DC and wanted it to be as close to perfect as possible. The visit was because my first son wanted to visit the Smithsonian museums. So we planned a four day, three night stay. He also loves to stay in hotels. So, there was much pressure.

I looked intensely on the internet. Closely reading about hotels. Narrowed it down to three. Location was not a negotiable position as I knew I would prefer walking. Then, I just said, Sofitel it is.

We arrived earlier than checking in time. That was no problem. A warm welcome from the valet, bellman and front desk. Checking in was flawless. We were in our room within fifteen minutes (if so long).

The room!!!!!! Lovely!!!!!!! We had a luxury double. Outstanding!!!!! Simply amazing!!!!!! Nice size. It was my mom, me and my two sons. There was ample space for them to romp. The beds were comfortable. Linens soft. There was a sofa and a love seat. Bathroom nice appointed. The shower and bath were separate so two persons can bathe at a time. Just great!!!!!

The closet area was good. Separate again so one could be there and not disturb anyone.

I have children who love luxurious things. They were thoroughly pleased. Room service outstanding. They loved that. Food good quality. And even those personnel were very professional and warm. Very engaging and pleasant.

Everyday was great. Staff always greeted you. In our second day, we returned and the door man said we looked tired. We were. He offered us water and brought them right away.

We could comfortably walk to the National Mall and all the monuments. You could even take a taxi at a cost of no more than $13. White House just there around the corners. Location could not have asked for anything more. Bus stop right out the door. Metro literally around the block. Restaurants out infront if you do not want room service.

Checking out was just as easy as checking in. And the front desk clerk was so pleasant even at that early time of the day (4:30 in the morning). He was especially pleasant. Asking if I used the safe deposit box just to know if I may have forgotten anything. Then, he literally walked around and brought my statement to put in my hand. Gave me some water for the trip home. Walked me all the way to the taxi. Waved as we drove off. Imagine that!!!!!

Simply magnifique!!!!

Stayed: August 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (3,240)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I've stayed in a few Sofitel's over the past few years, but this one wasn't up to the standard of the others.

First, the decor was shabby. Scratched cabinets and tatty surfaces in my room, chairs in the bar falling apart, the hotel directory and room service menu in my room were falling apart. I've seen worse, but it's not acceptable for a hotel of this class.

Second, cleaning was bad! When I arrived, I had rubbish in my bins, cream smeared all over the desk and the previous guests manky soap still in the dish. In another room, my brother reported black hair all over the bathroom.

Towels and amenities frequently weren't replaced and staff seemed to be juggling them from room to room! By the 4th night, I had no soap or shampoo, my brother was down to his last towel. On another day, he came back to find that all the toilet roll had been taken out of his room. and when I bought three bottles of water in a shop two of them got taken away!

Third, service was terrible. A man came into my room while I was sleeping, and spent 15 minutes clattering about emptying and replacing the contents of the minibar. I waited 20 minutes for a menu in a near-empty bar, and 45 minutes from entering the restaurant to getting our breakfast. When there was a mistake with our dishes in the bar, an argument ensued between four memebers off staff. After five minutes, a waiter came back with the exact same dishes and insisted that I'd made a mistake. In the end I completely lost my rag, and suggested that maybe he just walk to the kitchen and put the missing scoops of ice cream onto our now cold desserts...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Robert M
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We strive to provide our guests with genuine, personal service. As you know, our General Manager, Jean-Christophe Gras, is aware of your feedback and has been in touch with you personally. I can only reiterate his words to you that this is most certainly atypical of Sofitel, and I am confident that when you join us again, you will experience a flawless visit, like so many other guests do each day. We look forward to welcoming you back then.

Truly,
Anna

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The Sofitel is in a fantastic DC location - literally a 2 minute walk to the White House and convenient for all major attractions and good metro stations.

We paid for an upgraded "Luxury" room but it was on the second floor and was very small - could management confirm if 220 is really a "Luxury" room or if we got auto-downgraded without knowing? If this was a "Luxury" room I'd be very surprised as it was nothing special; it was very small and the layout was a little annoying with the bathroom doors right next to the side of the bed. The bathroom is luxurious but the bath is absolutely tiny. Housekeeping never replenished the bathroom amenities - that needs some attention. Also, to not have a coffee maker in the room is completely unacceptable. They do offer free coffee in the hotel bar but it's not much to ask for an in-room machine, especially at this price point. As is usual for Sofitel hotels the bed was really comfortable with excellent pillows and linens. Free in-room WiFi worked well.

It rained heavily during our stay and we appreciated the complimentary umbrellas from the concierge. The bellman was very efficient and friendly but the front desk staff were hit and miss.

Overall, a nice hotel in a great location but we might try somewhere else next time as the room was a disappointment for the $$$.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for a "Luxury" room - or if you do, make sure you don't...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank j_rich2011
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Great hotel in a very good location just a few meters away from the White House. Staff very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. A number of good restaurants nearby as well as transport connections. Fully recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2014

After having not, for several years, spent time in Washington DC, I was again in town and stayed 3 nights in the Sofitel hotel. Not only is the property superbly located near the White House but also near the business district, but the staff made you feel welcome and at home. Washington DC will become a frequent destination for me, and I will elect the Sofitel as my home. I can only warmly recommend this superb hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jean M
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The location is fantastic; close to the White House, many restaurants and to 2 Metro stations. The service is outstanding. The Valet parking is expensive $53.00/night, but there are no other options around.
The rooms are big and very clean, and the bathrooms big and modern. The only problem we had was with hot water coming on and off while taking showers; in reading other postings apparently this is a known problem.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DELTRAV
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at the Sofitel for 4 nights to celebrate our anniversary in June. We had never been to DC so we wanted something close to the museums and monuments. As others have said the hotel is in a great location, very close to the White House. The service was wonderful. Have stayed in a few other Sofitel hotels and have always gotten great service, so was no surprise to get the same here :)

We stayed in a Superior King Room and it was very nice, spacious and comfortable. The bed was very large and comfy. Bathroom was well appointed and clean. Very relaxing tub and separate glass shower. Always love having a robe and slippers available!

There was a lovely snack and water waiting for us when we got into the room which was a special touch! We did not eat in the restaurant but did order room service on 2 occasions, breakfast and lunch. Both were very good. The breakfast pastry basket was excellent!
We can't wait to come back and stay again! Merci!
- Abby