“Luxury in America's capital”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #20 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 July 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Sofitel Lafayette Square for the fifth and final leg of our 3-week honeymoon in the States.

The service at this hotel is second to none. From the courteous and helpful front desk, to the excellent concierges (both day and night staff were excellent) and the friendly bar staff, all enhanced our stay immensely.

As it was our honeymoon, they gave us a room on the top floor and even complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Cynthia, the night-time concierge was very helpful in either suggesting restaurants or helping us decide between a couple we had researched.

The rooms aren't huge, but they do have the usual to die for beds and a nice bathroom with seperate shower and bath. L'Occitane toiletries were also a nice touch.

It is true, there were a few spots on the carpet that looked that they needed to be cleaned, but these were clearly stains and not from lack of vacuuming! The carpets are cream and I presume when they get round to replacing them they'll pick a darker colour!

The hotel is well located - about 10 mins slow walk from the White House and very close to the McPherson Square's metro station.

Our room was very quiet, with no sirens or street noise to wake us up, unlike many hotels we've stayed in in America. Whether this is just DC or the hotel, I'm not sure.

The hotel isn't huge, so the business centre is only 2 computers strong (at some times in the day you may find someone waiting for access), but the internet connection is fast. The bar is nice, but very expensive. We didn't try the restaurant, but the menu looked nice and it was always busy at lunch time.

We ordered breakfast in the room which was lovely, but very expensive. However, the ingredients were clearly first class, so you weren't being ripped off.

Overall, I'd be amazed if there was a better hotel in DC in which to spend a city break in (we had 5 nights). I am very picky about where I stay and I really had nothing to complain about during my stay, which is a high recommendation!

1  Thank Martin_and_Steggs

Reviewed 9 July 2009

My wife and I spent the July 4th weekend at the Sofitel in Lafayette Square and had a very nice stay. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the overall atmosphere to be on the reserved and upscale side. We arrived early and were thrilled to be able to check in. Unfortunately, when we got to our room it was a smoking room and smelled terrible. We booked a non-smoking room and a quick call to the front desk and a short wait rectified the situation and we switched rooms. I wonder how much longer hotels in major tourist areas are going to allow smoking in guest rooms? The hotel is located about two blocks from the White House and a block from the McPherson Metro station. On our first day we used the Metro to go to the National Zoo and had a great day. After having diner in the bar/lounge at the hotel we walked down to the Elsipse park and watched the fireworks. After the fireworks we really appreciated the ten to fifteen minute walk back to the Sofitel and not having to fight our way through a Metro station to get on an overcrowded train. Some things to consider with this hotel; it is in a historic building and there is no pool or some of the other ammenities you may expect at a larger resort. There is a small healthclub in the basement., a small business center in the lobby, and a full service restaurant that serves a great breakfast (French press coffee!)with outside seating available in the summer months. There is also a nice bar/lounge that serves lighter fare and plays some really weird French club music. Oh, I forgot to mention the theme of the hotel is French so expect to hear bon jour every day from the staff! Don't expect to find touristy stuff that may be useful to you, like tour pamphlets, etc., in the lobby or in your room. The conceriege desk in the lobby is very helpful however with this type of information. This is a nice property overall, maybe a little stuffy for families with younger kids, but great for couples.

Reviewed 7 July 2009

Location, location, location.
Convenient for a July 4th leisure weekend. Major attractions and a close metro station made life much simpler.
Courteous Staff.
Always a welcoming smile, and personal greeting. Sincere, and eager to be of service.
Rooms.
Nice corner suite for us. Windows abound. Views of the goings on with both 15th St. and H.......AND THE BED is wonderful! I wondered in reading previous reviews what all the fuss seemed about surrounding the "comfy" beds and I get the picture now.....a great night of sleep.
Parking - valet only and typical DC - expensive $40/day.
In Room Internet - ethernet is 9.99 every 24 hours and wireless is 5.99 every 24 hours. This was disappointing that they charged and it was not a standard amenity. Their server is T-Mobile. If you go down to the lobby and business center, it is free.
Casual atmosphere in the bar, and restaurant. We sat outside and enjoyed the energy of the city at night while ordering from the bar. All types of dress noted from cocktail and coat tie to shorts and t-shirt.
Will stay again and think you would to.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I am not sure the degree to which the hotel puts people who buy their rooms on Hotline in the less-desirable rooms (small, with carpet stains, etc.) but that's what we ended up with. We didn't really care, since we weren't planning to spend much time in the room anyway, but it is something to mention. The housekeeping service was a little lax, and we had to call to get our room made up (twice) after a long day. Other than that, it was a nice enough hotel in a fantastic location. The hotel bar is very good, although the prices are steep. All in all, I was pleased with it because we got a good deal on Hotwire but if I'd been paying full-freight, I would be less charitable.

Reviewed 6 July 2009

I had my block of hotel rooms here for my wedding over the July 4th weekend and I stayed here also. It was just fantastic from the word go. The staff was incredibly kind and accommodating and did whatever they could do to make my stay perfect. They even decorated my room with rose petals on my wedding night, and kept the bar open later because all of our guests were catching up there after the wedding. They were so helpful before the wedding, also. Everything just went as smoothly as could be, and it was obvious that they pay the closest of attention to their customers' needs. I am so happy that we chose to stay here. I will definitely be back.

Reviewed 6 July 2009

Stayed at the Sofitel DC over the 4th of July. Booked through the hotel web site, for some kind of promo rate. Not a priceline rate, but not rack rate either.

Couldn't have asked for a better location, especially for touring the National Mall and for the fireworks. The staff was fantastic and very pleasant.

Unfortunately, the room I stayed in on the 10th floor seemed to be in pretty bad condition. The carpet was stained in several places. The furniture was pretty nicked up, and the wallpaper was peeling off in several places. Hopefully an anomaly... definitely not up to par with what I would expect from a Sofitel.

On the plus side, the bathroom was very clean, and the bed was very comfortable.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2009

What a great location!!! Metro stops were on each block between the hotel making easy access. The conceirge service was excellent. It was a great pleasure to have someone give us recommendations and reservations. We loved it.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family