“Great Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Palmetto, FL
“Great Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

The hotel was beautifully maintained, but it was the staff that made our weekend there really wonderful. From the Doorman to the Housekeeper, they outdid themselves to make sure that we had an enjoyable visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marathon-Mama3
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Good afternoonMarathon-Mama3,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience while staying with us. Hearing how our staff took care of you during your visit really makes me smile, they work so hard to take care of every detail and it’s great to see it has once again been recognized.

We can’t wait to see you again the next time you travel to our Nation’s Capital!

JL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

What a great place! The staff was so friendly and helpful! The whole building was really cool, the restaurant was delicious and our room was very comfy! I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone! I accidentally left a necklace in the room after we checked out and didn't realize for a few days and I was thrilled when I called and Josh told me they had found it! They sent it to me right away! Just one more reason I will go back!

• Stayed September 2012
Good afternoonMto831,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience while staying with us. I am even excited to hear that we were able to locate, secure and return your necklace with no issue.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel to our Nation’s Capital!

USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I checked in on a Sunday night at 10PMish, a little tired. The people at the desk were nice and asked me if I wanted a glass of wine. So far so good. I went DOWN to my room, and the room key didn't work. Desk clerk had to come with a new one. It happens, but kind of a drag when you are tired.

The room was OK, smallish, but I did not love that it was in a basement. Once you get down there it almost feels like you are going through a service area to get to the hallway with the rooms. There was only a tiny window at the top. Also, I didn't like the layout. Toilet in one bathroom, shower and sink essentially in another. It wasn't terrible, just wasn't that nice.

When I am on a business trip, pretty much the only hotel amenity that I care about is the gym. And I would give this gym a B-. The first elliptical I tried, the TV screen on it didn't work. The other two ellipticals were different and you could use the regular TV on the wall. (Demerit: no channel guide posted anywhere). Now, this is a personal pet peeve, but the large clock on the wall of the gym was 1.5 hours off. When I am working out before getting ready for a meeting, I'd like to KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS. Also, a broken clock sends the message that this is a facility that no one cares about? The layout of the machines also gives that vibe.

Last complaint. When I checked in, the girl told me that there was complimentary coffee and tea and that I could buy breakfast. After I checked out and was putting my receipts away, I noticed that I had purchased a package that included breakfast. I always think it is nice when the staff tell you the right thing about breakfast.

When I checked out, I also gave a mild gripe about the basement. The girl at the checkout said, "oh but it is so cozy and quiet down there, I am surprised you didn't like it..."

There was nothing terribly wrong with it and I had a perfectly fine sleep, but I was kind of peeved that I didn't just stay at the Courtyard Marriot around the corner.

Room Tip: If you want a window, do not let them put you on the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank memberUSA
Good morning memberUSA,

First let me thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco, although it looks like it was not what you would have expected. I would like to let you know we are very excited to be starting today on some upgrades to the first floor which will make it a much nicer stay; from the majority of the 1st floor guest rooms, corridor ceiling, lighting and artwork. I would love to show the updates the next time you are in the area. The comments regarding the gym, I would have to agree 100%, we should have a working clock and working equipment, the clock is an easy fix and we are working on the equipment to get this fixed as well. I am not sure how we would have missed the fact you had breakfast included, again I apologize.

I realize this was not a great impression of the Hotel Monaco, but I truly hope the next time you travel to our Nation’s Capital you will give us a second chance.

PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

I chose hotel Monaco for a weekend get away to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. I did a lot of research and decided for the price, location and history this would be the best place. We utilized the valet parking and that was so quick and easy I felt right at ease. Check in was wonderful thanks to John and .... (sorry I forget her name very pretty girl with a unique but beautiful name). They made us feel relaxed and enjoyed the fact that this was a total surprise for my boyfriend. They answered all of my silly questions like they were no issue at all. We were upgraded to the monticello room which was lovely as well (on 3rd floor). The room was of nice size, yes high ceilings but no problem with temp of room. I must say the showers were wonderful. (I know that probably sounds odd). The pressure was fantastic and hot water immediately!. We enjoyed the snacks and mini-bar as well. The staff was fabulous in making everything so easy. providing umbrellas while we were out walking, allowing us to keep the car in valet the day of check out while we continued touring. holding our luggage until we were ready to depart. Everyone from valet to housekeeping to check in/out was friendly and so very helpful. The only small issue we had was we agreed to the 1$ breakfast. It may have been an oversight on my part but when I hear continental breakfast I had pictured what the other hotels offer (eggs/bacon/sausage/pasteries/fruit/cereals/juice/coffee/tea) So for an extra dollar I couldn't pass it up. Well the next morning I read the card issued and it is only for juice/pastry and either coffee/tea. We didn't bother with this breakfast. Again, this was minor and we really enjoyed this hotel matter of fact we are looking forward to returning again.

Room Tip: monticello room on 3rd floor was spacious, temp was well controlled despite high ceilings. Very qui...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Good morning shortbear,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; it’s really in-depth which we like and it seems like you really took your time to research a place to stay so that also means a lot to us. I am really happy to read how throughout your stay we were able to anticipate and exceed your needs. I am sorry the $1 breakfast was not what you had hoped, but glad to hear that this would not stop you from coming back to the Hotel Monaco!

We truly look forward to seeing you again the next time you are visiting our Nation’s Capital!

Ocean View, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

This was my first trip to DC in 15 years and I promise it will not be my last. It was girls weekend away and Hotel Monaco did not disappoint. The location was fab, the rooms were awesome and the staff was friendly and extremely helpful. Nice spacious and clean rooms, free wine everyday at 5:00 and 24hr room service! Oh yeah, their restaurant rocks too!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank captaindebi
Good afternoon captaindebi,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; if it was going to take 15 years to get you back to DC; I’m glad it was the Monaco that made it the perfect return!
Seems like you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and the location, well as you said was “fab” and we couldn’t agree more.

We hope it will not be another 15 years until you visit our Nation’s Capital again, especially now that you found your new home away from home!

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I always read A LOT of reviews before booking hotel and I was happy when I saw that almost all the reviews of hotel Monaco were positive....and I was not disappointed when we arrived!

Based on other reviews, we requested a room on the 3rd or 4th floor. When we arrived for check-in very early (at 10:00am) they did not have an upper floor room available but offered a room on the first floor. We decided to wait for the room w/ a view, checked our bags at the front, and headed out to explore D.C. (the location of this hotel cannot be beat!) About an hour later we got a call that a room on the 4th was ready and we could check-in any time we'd like!

Just like all the other reviews, check-in was a breeze, the free $10 raid the mini-bar was great, the room was small but very nice, the ceilings were AWESOME, and the free happy hour was great! It really was everything I excepted it to be. I would definitely stay here again and confidently recommend it to friends and family!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Janelle B
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Good morning Janelle B,

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay here at the Monaco. Well it’s nice to hear that you read reviews prior to choosing a place to stay and from what you had read, you felt the Monaco was a great choice, just like you we take this reviews very seriously as well.

It really looks like the wait for a room was well worth it and the fact we are so perfectly located, having to wait was no big deal since you were able to store your bags, step down the front steps, and were right into the middle of everything.

We look forward to having you back the next time you are visiting our Nation’s Capital.

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Was disappointed with my check in experience, but the manager fixed everything and was exceedingly kind and accommodating. This leads me to believe my experience was probably a fluke -- they had a huge check out just before I arrived which meant the staff was a little frazzled, and I was a little grumpy after driving seven hours with a screaming kid!

Anyway, he put us in a lovely room on the 1st floor, which is actually the basement, but no complaints. It was cozy and dark, perfect for a good night's sleep. We were facing the Spy Museum, despite the sidewalk traffic, was very quiet. Plenty of seating in this room which is great for a family -- we didn't all have to lay on the bed the whole time. Brought the dog here, was really easy to walk her directly out the side door. Would recommend first floor if you have a dog. They supplied dog bowls for her, and were so nice to her.

All of the staff were incredibly nice. Every single staff member would say hello and smile as they passed us. It was so pleasant to experience such courtesy.

Room had so many electrical outlets! They had a charger that worked for USB and other common cords as well as ac/dc outlets, an iPhone clock radio dock, and even a power strip on the desk in case we needed more, which we did. First time I have ever seen an adequate amount of extra outlets in a hotel room.

The location is great, it is just a few blocks from everything there is to do in DC, which means you're close enough to walk, but far enough to be away from the massive crowds. The front desk rents bicycles to the guests, and there is a Capitol Bike Share rank thing across the street where you can rent bikes by the hour. CVS on the corner for all your snacking needs!

No self-parking, which was kind of annoying, but this is DC, so it isn't the hotel's fault.

Overall, had a great stay, and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have a dog, ask for the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Good morning MarieKremlin,

I really want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Monaco, it is very detailed and honest which is very helpful.

First impressions, as they say are everything, and although yours was not the greatest, we were still able to gain your confidence back during your stay, this is great to hear!
I’m glad that the room was equipped with enough outlets; it’s true that most are not able to accommodate all of the mobile devices we all carry these days. The rooms are very quite as they all have an extra glass in the window which makes them almost sound proof, another bonus when staying in the city and as you mentioned just blocks away from everything.

It’s also very refreshing to hear how you were greeted throughout your stay by our staff.

We hope to see you again the next time you are visiting our Nation’s Capital!