“Fantastic family getaway”

GreenLeadersGold level
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Fantastic family getaway”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We visited for three days after xmas with our two small boys. All of us allergic to dust, etc. and the hotel was super helpful in changing the linens for us the night we arrived to non-feathers as my son had an allergic reaction. The staff was very accommodating and made sure all or our expectations were exceeded. Great brunch in the restaurant. Walking distance to everything near the mall and very close to the ice skating at the sculpture garden -- idyllic! Manager Kali Milgate extended the pinnacle of hospitality to our little family seeking a much-needed magical escape, and her efforts made our stay perfect!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Priscilla C
GM1004, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Awww - Kali Milgate the pinnacle of hospitality magic - I loved reading your comments Priscilla C, folks like Kali truly do make the difference in a stay and I so appreciate your recognition of her!
Come back again soon - and bring the boys!
Cheers,
Ed - Monaco DC GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Manchester
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hotel is rather eclectic in decor and is a quality/individualistic hotel. It is in a useful location for central Washington DC in a nice area, and off (some rooms) a main road, so relatively quiet. Friendly helpful staff.

Let down by details. I expected coffee-making facilities in the room, a very basic requirement for a hotel of this price - there were none, I asked for some and they were provided but not maintained. No buffet breakfast, only expensive a-la carte breakfasts (which were very nice). Also see notes on "choosing a room" WRT to location in the hotel, and pet-friendly issue (hotel is pet-friendly, but I do NOT want to stay in a room that has had animals in it). Rather expensive daily internet rates of $12, but if you're a Kimpton chain member this is either free/reduced but I am not interested in enrolling in every hotel member programme going, as someone who travels a lot - it is simply a nuisance spam issue.

Room Tip: Hotel is "pet-friendly" - in the small print, you have to ask for a room that has not had...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David L
Eclectic decor, individualistic, quality hotel, and a friendly and helpful staff - I'm let down by the review too David L. It's true, we're not a buffet breakfast hotel - but we don't say we are either, it doesn't really fit with the style or the menu in our award winning Poste Brasserie. In addition to complimentary coffee makings in the rooms (on request), we also provide it every morning in the lobby complimentary (and wine as well in the afternoons!) - perhaps you'll give it a swirl on your next visit. We certainly hope so - please come back soon.
Best
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here for 1 night on a trip through DC. Was greeted by very friendly desk staff who helped me out of a miscommunication with the internet booking website I used. They were incredibly helpful and really friendly. As for the hotel, really cool layout in an old building. Excellent location. I enjoyed the restaurant for breakfast. Also the AM coffee was great. My only word of caution would be that sound carries very well in the hotel, so if you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs. Small room, but very well-kept.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
AM Coffee, incredibly helpful, and a well kept cool layout - what more could our helpful desk staff ask for Justs32849 - many thanks for the recognition, I'll be sure to share with the team!
Miami
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The location is great and it's hard to complain about anything when you're bringing your 100 pound dog, however, keep in mind that although they don't charge extra for big dogs I wouldn't call them that big dog friendly. My dog is big but a gentle giant, still - about 70 percent of the staff were totally freaked out by him. Clearly, many employees have a phobia. He does not bark and wags his tail non- stop. Plus, he's on a leash at all times--but some staff actually ran and hid, housekeeping would not service the room unless I removed the dog entirely, and the bell man actually shrieked when he saw him and dropped our bags and ran out as fast as possible. We gave the hotel all the information about our dog when we made the reservation, but we've never encountered this type of reception and it made us very uncomfortable. On the rare occasion we encounter people with phobias, we try to be very understanding and to minimize their discomfort. On the upside, every hotel guest was completely accepting and could not wait to be introduced.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Glad that you and your large furry friend were welcomed warmly by guests, and we appreciate the kind words about our location Kuma L - come back again soon, we're used to the gentle giant!
Brisbane Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

The best of addresses and everything you could want, position, service, happy hours, great staff, good restaurant with superb wait staff. You simply could not want for any thing from this beautiful, well run hotel. It is handy to the metro and we, at 70, easily walked ther and back to every where, includingb Georgetown, Arlington. So easy and reasonably handy. Don't look further for your trip to Washington Manaco is IT
Noelene and Wayne Moore, Brisbane, Australia

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Noelene and Way... M
GM1004, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you so much for the many kind words Noelene and Wayne Moore! The location is second to none to be sure - and the team makes all the difference. We hope you have the opportunity to return again soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Oh, Monaco DC you frustrate me so much. I love Kimpton. Service is always exceptional and I love the special perks. Monaco DC is a great location. That said, the sleep quality at this hotel has always been an issue for me. The bed in 320 should be tossed to the curb!! I feel bad complaining about this on TA because I didn't complain to management; my trip was short and I didn't want the hassle of changing rooms. The bed had a huge lump down the middle and I felt I was sleeping on a slight incline. Another complaint, I did mention the temp of the shower and the front desk quickly sent maintenance, but no one followed-up with me. I found that annoying. I was also turned off by the horrible amount of dust behind the armour in the bedroom and the visible 4x4 on the back of the headboard. I'm sad to say my recent trip to Monaco DC will be my last.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank uwred1
Oh how I'm frustrated for you uwred1! Exceptional service, special perks and a great location - with that kind of endorsement - I SO wish you had said something about the bed! I've had it inspected and it turns out the box springs were in fact cracked in that room, we could have replaced it in a jiff and knocked it out of the park for you instead this time. I hope you decide to stay again, when you do please drop me a line because I'd love to chat about your experiences.
Best,
Ed - Monaco DC GM.
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Very good location near bug metro station Gallary Place China Town. Valet parking is good, but request your car 5 minutes before you need it because the parking is a little while away.

Rooms are clean, but not too big. Very modern and well kept.

Free coffee in the morning and happy hour with free wine in the bar between 5-6.

Breakfast is not great, but there's loads of places around to eat breakfast.

Thanks for the great review Pauline R. Wine hour, free morning coffee, great location, I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy some of our many perks - and we hope that you come back again very soon. Check out website for packages and promos @ monaco-dc.com!