“Love My Dog....Love Me!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC
Ranked #47 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
North Carolina
“Love My Dog....Love Me!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

Hotel Monaco ---Washington, DC

First of all, let me begin by stating that I am a dog. I am lucky enough to be able to travel with my wonderful owner. She does not like to go anywhere that I can’t go, and so I have her wrapped around my paw. Last year for her birthday I wanted to do something special for her so I took her to a more than dog friendly hotel in Washington, DC. That was the beginning of our addiction to the Kimpton Hotels. There are several around the country, with many to choose from in the DC/VA area.

Our most recent trip was to the Hotel Monaco in DC. It is located in a wonderful area known as Penn Quarter which is so convenient to the “Mall” and all the museums in the area. The Portrait Gallery is directly across the street with other museums all within easy walking distance. I love to walk, so my owner even walked me to the White House to meet Bow, but security made it impossible. I was going to bite them, but decided it was probably not a good idea.

The room I stayed in was amazing! I don’t think I have ever stayed in such a large room with plenty of space to stretch my legs. Because I am so well behaved, I even can be left in the room by myself. Also, since I have stayed here before, upon check in everyone knew my name, and both my owner and myself were treated like royalty, which of course we are when staying at the Monaco.

Every night at 5PM there is a wine hour where both guests and their pets are welcome. It is a wonderful place for me to get lots of attention, and everyone always asks what kind of dog I am. My owner tells them I am an “attention hound,”and I must admit there is a lot of truth to that. On one occasion I got very thirsty, and a special bowl of water, on a platter, was brought to me by the staff. I could not ask for better treatment.

The hotel has a wonderful restaurant and bar, and there is an outside area where I can join my owner. On this trip, my owner did not bring my special food, and if you can believe it, the general manager of the hotel actually picked some up for me.

There is one sad part of this story. I am a very sick dog with terminal cancer. One reason we made this trip was so I could say hello ( and hopefully, not good bye) to all the wonderful staff at the hotel. Because they knew of my illness in advance, the hotel even put together a scrapbook for me with their pictures and good wishes for my recovery.

Oh dear,I realize that I forgot to tell you my name! It is Madison, and I am a mix of Border Collie and Springer Spaniel. I am one of the world’s smartest and friendliest dogs. There are many pictures of me in the scrapbook they keep of all their dog guests. If you are lucky enough to have your owner take you to this hotel, please be sure to look for me, and also be sure to tell them that Madison sent you!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Madison12
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, 29 May 2009
Hello Madison12,

I am glad that you and your owner were able to come to the hotel during your recent trip to Washington DC. I hope your owner was well behaved and didn’t cause you too much trouble while traveling. We all know how pesky owners can be when all you want to do is run around wagging your tail and meeting people. I take it you meet fellow furry friends during your wine hour and even gave your owner a glass of wine to calm down. I am so sorry to hear about your illness. I hope that you are enjoying the time you have and will come back and join us again soon.

From everyone at the hotel….

Bow Wow Wow! Woof! Woof!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Mountain View, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

First thing you need to know - this is an historic building. The Kimpton group cannot alter this to match every modern amenity. That said, the rooms are properly outfitted, the beds are comfy and the amenities are what I would expect in a 4 star hotel.

Second, all of the rooms on the first floor have no real window. If that is an issue for you, alert the hotel before you show up. I was on business travel, so I could care less (and in fact, I needed early check in which was not a problem on the 1st floor).

Third, restuarant/bar is quite good.

FInally, the service was friendly but not as on their toes as I would have expected.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Hello JFulton,

I am glad that you enjoyed the character of our historic building. Thank you for your comments and please come back and stay again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

We have stayed at various Kimpton properties in our travels and have always been pleased with the esthetics of these hotels and the wonderful professional service.
This Kimpton’s property in Washington DC is no exception. The hotel is a beautiful historical (Post office) building and the interior is welcoming, modern and attractive. The only issue we had was the extremely small guest rooms and the strange tiny bathroom which was two feet away from the actual bed, the whole lay out of the room was just strange. The pocket door was flimsy and offered not privacy also the vanity was too small as well. For this reason we won’t stay at this particular Kimpton property again. I’d like to add that there’s a restaurant which we didn’t try since there are so many other choices in DC, but we did have drinks outside on the beautiful and peaceful patio. Beware if one is on a budget drinks are extremely pricey and also quiet small for $9.00-$9.50. One can also take advantage of the complimentary wine hour in the lobby which is from 5:00pm-6:00.
All in all I did like the property but I can’t justify staying here for the room’s layout.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank seta
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

I have stayed at other Kimpton Hotels and been very satisfied.

Based on these positive prior experiences, my wife and I booked 2 nights at the Hotel Monaco for an Oxford Reunion in Washington, D.C.

When I checked in and went to my room, I was surprised at how small it was - barely enough room for the bed. I called the front desk and asked if they had something larger. They offered to "upgrade" us to a king size room. This room was on the "1st" floor, which was actually the basement. That would not have been a problem as it was a larger, more comfortable room and very quiet (see picture). The problem was the floor smelled like mold and our room smelled even worse. We discovered mold on the bottom of the shower curtain (see picture). The cleaning staff removed wine glasses after first night and did not replace them. On demand movies were very "fuzzy" and the staff could not correct the poor quality.

Do not stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank chutraveler
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

I recently stayed at Hotel Monaco in DC. There were positive and also some negatives. To start off I have to say I am a Kimpton member so I always pick Kimpton hotels if they are in the area I go to. This was my first time to this specific hotel.

Positives: Great location- right near the metro, spy museum and other attractions, and of course the wine hour and a ton of restaurants to choose from.

Negatives: Arriving to the hotel I waited for 15 minutes for valet to even notice I needed my car parked. The gentleman who checked me in, Raymond, did not say a single word to me unpon check in. He just gave me my keys and pointed to the elevator. I did not feel welcome in any way. Though, I am somewhat familiar with the area I still expect to hear about the hotel and amenities they provide. During wine hour, the wine was delicious but for some reason when we asked what they were serving the gentleman had no idea- which was a bit odd. Maybe he misunderstood me?

Given the lack in service the hotel was still beautiful and the room decor is quite different, but I enjoyed it. I most likely would choose this hotel simply for the location and hope that the service gets a little better!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Albany, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

One really could not ask for a better experience than what we had at the Hotel Monaco. Very friendly staff, nice wine hour, absolutely in the middle of everything in an historic old post office. Huge rooms with comfortable beds. I thought the restaurant's menu was a bit sparse and the dinner there was the least favorite part of our trip.

Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Hello PFT3,

Thank you for staying at the hotel. I am glad that you have a great experience. The staff will be happy to hear that they were friendly. The location is great also. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2009

Found a great deal for Kimpton's birthday and booked a room with a friend to watch the NCAA Frozen Four. The hotel is right across the street from the Verizon Center - couldn't be a better location.

The building is the old post office - pretty cool building. The rooms are decently sized, with really comfortable beds and flat screen TV's. The only complaint about the room was that the bathroom had a pocket door - don't share a room with anyone that you don't want to hear what you're doing in the bathroom.

The hotel has a small gym with brand new equipment on the 4th floor. While not big, it's better than 95% of the other hotels I have stayed at recently. Each cardio machine has it's own TV with an IPOD dock. Very cool. It saved us each $25/day that we were going to spend at the gym across the street.

The hotel has a cool bar/restaurant that seems like the hip spot in town. I highly recommend it.

Overall - great hotel, great service. I would stay here again without a second thought.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Distribution_Mgr, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, 23 April 2009
Hello MattNY,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you got a good rate and enjoyed our location. The hotel is unique due to it being historically protected. As such everything we put in it must be able to come out with no permanent impact on the original building. I am glad that you made use of the gym and were able to save a little extra cash. That is important nowadays. Poste is a great restaurant it the patio just opened up. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!