“Slightly over rated”

Ranked #6 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Niles, Illinois
“Slightly over rated”
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night at the Swann House Inn. When we arrived we told them multiple times we had an early flight the next morning. In the morning, there was a continental breakfast set up and we were told that hot items were not served until 10am. They knew we were leaving early so why couldn't they prepare breakfast earlier? It was an expensive stay and not to mention the morning staff member was not really friendly. Love the DuPont Circle area but will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Lydia W
swannhouse, Owner at Swann House, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Lydia,
I am so sorry you did not have a good experience at Swann House, and I am especially concerned that you felt a member of my staff was not hospitable. I will certainly use your review as a training exercise. I apologize that there was a mistake in communicating our breakfast time to you. Our Continental breakfast is out by 7:30 a.m. and our hot entree is available by 7:45. We serve UNTIL 10 a.m. Clearly, we did not effectively communicate and for that I am very sorry. We hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to Swann House.

Mary Ross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Lantzville, BC, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My wife and I recently visited Washington D.C. for the first time. We chose to stay in the Swann House B & B, and were delighted with its great location. The B & B itself was expensive, but I don't have comparisons to others in D.C. Our room (Jennifer Green) was comfortable, but felt the bed and bedding could use some upgrading. It had a big patio, spoiled somewhat by the plants in most of the decorative pots being dead. The bathroom had an unusual configuration, but a lovely big shower with lots of good hot water. We were there for two nights and one afternoon cooled off in their small but clean outdoor pool. The staff were attentive, and Natalie in particular was on the ball, presiding over excellent breakfasts with lots of choice. The other rooms in this interesting old building were very inviting and really comfortable for reading or chatting. It was not the best B & B we have ever stayed in, particularly at the cost, but we would stay again, if ever back in Washington, D.C. We found lots of choices of good restaurants within a few blocks, and felt really comfortable wandering around the neighbourhood on foot.

Room Tip: The Jennifer Green room was really quiet at night and has lots of space for lounging. It also has a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was our second stay at Swann House and we had a terrific time. Breakfast was yummy and our room was terrific. We stayed in Parisienne first visit and loved it. This trip we stayed in Il Duomo. Great ceilings and my husband and I loved the bathtub. Already booked for next year and will try the Regent Room. Grounds are lovely and something is always blooming. Several nice places to sit and relax. Neighborhood is great for walking about.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
East Troy, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed here during our week long vacation in DC. The staff is warm and friendly and the room we had (Jennifer Green) was wonderful. The breakfasts were yummy and the afternoon sherry and treats were a welcome delight. Our room had a private balcony and a huge shower and bathroom vanity, things we like very much. This was a comfortable retreat from the hustle and bustle of touring DC all day. Close to bus lines and a short walk to the Metro made it easy to get to all the DC attractions without the hassle of a car and contending with DC traffic.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice. The Jennifer Green room has a very large bathroom with huge shower and...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roberta017
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 April 2013

If this is the best B&B that DC has to offer, I wouldn't book one at all. I love staying at B&B's and although the location is great, and the front porch is wonderful to watch the world go by, the B&B is not at all what you'd expect. The pictures are not accurate of the room. The room is tired, and needs refurbishing. I tried to sit in a chair in the room, and the bottom almost fell through, and I'm not a big person.

The staff (Mary) is stuffy, uninterested, and did not make us feel welcome at all. She's more interested in holding court with the locals than tending to her guests. The breakfast wasn't worth anything... raw on the bottom, burnt on top.... even the granola was lousy. I left thinking that I should send them some basic cooking techniques. I wouldn't stay here at 1/4 of the price I paid... I don't understand why this place has such high ratings.

Room Tip: Find a hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SleepbyWaves
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We recently stayed a week at the terrific Swann House in DC, located just blocks off Dupont Circle. Wife, daughter & I occupied a suite in the main house (Blue Sky) for 5 days and then switched over to a basement suite (Parisienne) for the remainder. Both featured plenty of room, 2 separate bed chambers, fireplaces, sitting areas, small fridges and comforts galore. Homemade breakfast each day and snacks with beverages in the afternoons added to the comfortable surroundings. The staff went above and beyond, always friendly & helpful with every question and concern. The location of the SW is great too: only 4 blocks to the Metro, or a $14 taxi ride to the National Mall. Many fine restaurants surrounding Dupont, so everything you need is right at hand. Enjoy.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique in their own way, but if you like lots of room (we're taking BIG) ask for o...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gordotx
New York
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My husband and I spent last weekend at the Swann House, I have nothing but good things to say about it. This is a beautiful old house with much charm, beautifully decorated and very comfortable. We stayed in the Regent room, it was wonderful. The room is quite large the bed was very comfortable, it has a large carved wood headboard, I felt like royalty climbing into it! The bathroom was very large with a very unique shower! There are several inviting places to sit in the common rooms and breakfast was very good. This is a special place to return to at the end of a busy day in DC. If you are a fan of B &B's, you will like this place.

Room Tip: Look on their website to choose your room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple