“Peaceful and Friendly Refuge in Dupont Circle Area”
Review of Swann House

Swann House
Ranked #6 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We just spent three nights at the Swann House while in DC to visit our daughter who lives only a block or two away. We had previously stayed at the Hilton and the Carlyle Suites, both of which are in the vicinity. These hotels were fully booked, so our daughter told us about the Swann House, with which we were previously unfamiliar. Although it is pricier than either the Hilton or the Carlyle Suites, Swann House will now be our first choice for future visits to DC. The accommodations at Swann House are peaceful, well appointed and comfortable, and the staff is very friendly. We stayed in the Robertson Room on the third floor in the rear of the building, and we would be happy to stay there again. Breakfast is served from 7:30 to 9:45 am and is ample. We had different varieties of quiche each morning, along with an assortment of fruit, juices, cereals, hard boiled eggs and breads. There is a small swimming pool in the rear patio which was very welcome. The only disadvantage of the Swann House is the absence of an elevator. If your mobility is limited, you might have trouble negotiating the front stairs up to the porch and the stairs up to the rooms on the second and third floors (there are no guest rooms on the first floor). Swann House is in a very pedestrian-friendly area, close to both Dupont Circle and 14th Street. There are many very nice restaurants within easy walking distance. If you are a walker, it is a little over a mile down 16th Street to the White House and the Mall. If you don't want to walk, you can rent a bicycle from Capital Bikeshare from the stand at 17th and T Street less than a block away. We strongly recommend the Swann House.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John S

Reviewed 14 May 2014

After long walks and navigating the city on a visit with my daughter, I was happy to have a charming well-appointed bed and breakfast to call home.
The room are gorgeous and the house is larger than meets the eye. The pool was absolutely inviting. I arrived and it hadn't been opened as predicted but the staff did manage to have it cleaned and sparkling clean after I expressed disappointment. I loved the breakfast and the attention the staff offered. Get the parking spot if you can. That was especially handy.
Great place in all ways.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lorin C
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We have just returned from a delightful seven night stay at this amazing bed and breakfast. The front garden and first floor common rooms welcomed and charmed us. We were greeted by Isabelle and shown to our beautifully decorated room. The breakfast buffet, complete with a freshly made hot entree, homemade bread or muffins, scrumptious granola, fresh fruit, and more, was exquisite! Afternoon tea or sherry, along with a light treat, was the perfect reason to return from our busy days and relax on the veranda before walking to one of the nearby restaurants in this pleasant neighborhood. The service was impeccable. Isabelle made sure that our stay was lovely and memorable. We highly recommend this wonderful bed and breakfast which is conveneniently located in Dupont Circle.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce W
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My first visit to Washington and top marks for Swann House, everything was just great. Warm welcome and loved my room, "The Lighthouse" Afternoon appy's, breakfast buffet, wonderful. Even the dog park across the street is not an issue.
Location ideal, an easy walk (7 minutes) to Dupont Circle metro, which is easy to navigate.
I will return, and do recommend Swann Inn highly.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank susan r
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Swann House last May 2013. I cannot express how much we enjoyed our stay. We stayed in two different rooms so that I could have a bathtub for part of the stay. First we stayed in the red room and the room adjacent to it. Both were lovely. The red room was smallish, but worked very well. The breakfasts and other snacks were very enjoyable, too. The innkeeper was attentive to our needs. We arrived late, but all was ready and waiting for us. We would definitely return and recommend to others. It is a little hike to the Metro, but good for you if you are up to it. Gives you a chance to see the lovely gardens and homes in the Dupont Circle area. Swann House landscaping was simply beautiful in the spring while we were there.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gardengirl2006
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from what must be at least our 10th! return visit to Swann House and over the years it just I gets better and better! Our son lives in the neighborhood so we visit several times a year and really do consider Swann House our home away from home. We are usually there for the holidays and the house is always beautifully decorated and really makes you feel as if you have stepped into another era. Since we often arrive late due to distance and traffic it is especially nice to find tea available in the kitchen and, on this visit, not only sherry but cheese and a nice assortment of goodies awaiting us on the buffet. Breakfast in the lovely dining room is always a pleasure with a nice assortment of breads, muffins, fruit, cereal and the special "hot" offering coming from the kitchen that day. I have stayed in several different rooms over the years and find that invariably, whether large or small they are all warm and inviting. As usual, we will be back. Thank you to Isabel and the rest of the staff for CONSISTENTLY making our stays a pleasure!

Room Tip: There are several flights of steps if you are choosing a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary L
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I had a most wonderful experience at this lovely B&B. My room had a nice view over New Hampshire Avenue to the dog park - being a dog owner this was fine with me. The room, although small, was perfect for me. Each room is decorated differently and each has all the amenities one could imagine. Even though I could not eat all that was available for breakfast, it sounded delicious. I am planning a return in the fall.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business