“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of North Gate Grill

North Gate Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
North Gate Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #990 of 3,199 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: 16th and K Street NW
Transit: Metro Stations two blocks from North Gate Grill: McPherson Square (Blue & Orange Lines) Farragut North (Red Line) Farragut West (Blue & Orange Lines)
Berlin, Germany
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

The food in the restaurant is really good, however it is a bit expensive and for this price I have eaten better. But in general nice and good food.

Visited May 2012

washington
“Breakfast, Brunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

As with the Capial Hilton, the staff at this Grill are great. Asking for a paper , I had one at the table within minutes. A fruit smoothie , served with my coffee. Sadly food, at the buffet was not as fresh as it might have been. French toast casserole had a burnt taste, although the omelet I ordered was made fresh and brought to my table. Great array of fruit and pastries. But sausage and bacon had been in the warming trays too long. A bit pricey, but D.C. is an expensive city. Willing to try lunch or dinnner next time I am in town.

• Visited March 2012
Phoenix, AZ
“Restaurant at the Capital Hilton, not dissapointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

It was Christmas day and we could not think of an open place, so we decided to stay in the hotel and have breakfast there. Each plate cost $15 and that was on the high side for us, specially for a breakfast plate, but then the food came and it was really good, simple but good and that has a value on its own. I had the rum french toasts, they were light and well balanced and one of the best french toasts I have had so far, my sons had the waffle with a tangy syrup and compote and my other son had the regular american breakfast and my husband had the egg benedict, which is on a bed of savory bread pudding that I personally found really good. However the menu said it had shaved ham but it came just with a regular thick slice of virginia ham, I which they would have done the shaved ham instead. Service was really nice too. Ah! later we had some dessert there and the chocolate fondant is highly recommended. Worth the try and expense.

• Visited December 2011
CT
“This is new. And it's excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

I gather this restaurant opened a few months back and is part of an obvious upgrade of the Capital Hilton. As we know, hotel's often have an image problem (and also often well deserved) with their in-house restaurants! Not here. North Gate Grill is superb - and it was from the minute we walked in - totally randomly looking for a quick lunch prior to a meeting nearby!

The front of house were welcoming and efficient - I had some small luggage with me- but it was no problem to find a table location were I could park it. This is a large restaurant - and as it's still relatively new they may still be tweaking decor - it could take a bit more art and color on the walls as the color scheme is very neutral. But it has clean look and feel and is attractive - and very well lit as it overlooks the front of the hotel.

Our waitress was professional, smiling, welcoming, attentive - just a lovely surprise.

OK. The Food! First of all - to the chef - thank you for creating a menu of modest size and selection - which is then manageable for you and your team to cook. Gordon Ramsey is always banging on about this - keep menus tight and interesting. Even the menu was a nice cleanly laid out card - not some ghastly grubby plastic folder thing! I started with a small house salad (boring you might think) which was how one should be...an excellent selection of different leaves and all immaculately trimmed - with small red and yellow pear tomatoes and bits of crumbled and creamy goats cheese - superb. The salad dressing was subtle and overall this simple dish was the best I have ever seen (with the possibel exception of First Class on All Nippon Airways). My guest had grilled calamari. Again - just superb - small baby calamari that were soft and fresh - had been given the slightest time on the grill - and the dish was finished with a colorful assortment of saute tomato, small black olives and zucchini - just a delight. For a main course we both had a hamburger. This was served on hot slate embedded in a thin piece of wood and the fries were in a small wire basket. The hamburger meat was tasty, the bun was a brioche - so a little imagination had even gone into that. The waiter kept our glasses filled with water. I cannot fault the food or service - it was truly excellent. This was also affordable!

So salut to the Capital Hilton - the chef and staff of North Gate Grill -- this restaurant is truly excellent -- keep it up!!

• Visited December 2011