“Alright.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Downtown Washington Hostel
Wroclaw, Poland
“Alright.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Really few bathroom, too little lockers... You're staying in Washington and you don't have locker? While hostel at my staying didn't seem that busy lockers were full. Cleaning lady who wakes you up... And it was my first time in a hostel where you shouldn't wear shoes, a bit strange, but okay. Guy who checked me in was really cool. You can watch a lot of movies in a common room, there's nice kitchen, a lot of flyers. Oh, on more thing - wifi works only in the common room, annoying.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

we were staying one night int this hostel, the room was clean, the bathroom also.
the staff were so friendly specially Ysa, she help us to find a good coffee shop for breakfast and shared about many things to us.
the only problem for us was we couldn't access the wifi from our room. because it was only in the common area.
thank you Ysa for the story about South America.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My stay started out with me being very offended by the way the woman by the counter talked to me. she talked to me like I was a kid! I'm 26 years old and usually share a kitchens, bath and toilets with many others - believe me; I know how to behave!
It was not just about their many many rules, but the way she went through them. For the rest of my stay, she talked to me and everybody else in an incredibly artificial nice way.

My friend was checked in nicely by another from the staff. And by time, I figured that the rest of the staff were very nice and helpful and 'saved' my stay there.

The hostel has a lot of rules, and the many rules made us doubt whether we were even aloud to bring in a beer or cider to the hostel, just for us to enjoy before 10 pm (silent hours beginning)...
Asking us not to steal, is extremely inappropriate in my opinion.

I was glad to see the security codes on the door working, but it would have been nice with a room key.

One could see a cleaning lady every morning. But why begin cleaning before the silent hours are over? (10 pm-10am)
And it would have been nice seeing her doing more than just sweeping the floor lightly - washing would definitely have been nice, and a change of cloths in the bathrooms every day would have been nice as well.
Telling us on a paper not to use their washing machine, when the machine is in a common bathroom is alright, but why not say where guests can wash on the paper or that we can ask them...?
Simple, but nice changes like that would save the hostel from these kind of reviews.
I enjoyed my stay, the area was nice, close to union station. But a certain lady staff member (the owner perhaps..?) should get away for a while for the benefit of the guests - perhaps to the best hostel ever; morty rich hostel in Houston - and learn how to treat guests nicely! Because the hostel has potential, the staff is nice, the kitchen is alright and so on :)

Stayed July 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Positives

- Short walk to Union Station
- Staff very friendly and helpful, nice hang out area
- Bus stop on doorstep for certain attractions
- Some attractions very walkable (US capitol, smithsonians)
- Big grocery store 2 minutes away

Negatives

- Security, no locks on room doors, only need keycode to access all rooms(not changed during my 5 day stay)
- Too few bathrooms
- Dorms and bathrooms were not the cleanest
- Rooms very tightly packed, space tight even for everyone's suitcases/backpacks

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Auburn, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I wasn't a fan of the lady who checked me in at the front desk. She had a tendency to speak down to whoever she was helping. The cleaning lady's child was also yelling and screaming in the common room which made it hard to hear the laundry list of rules I had to go over during check-in. The facilities and the location are good however, and everything was clean.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I very rarely write negative reviews but I was really disappointed by the lack of professionalism and unfriendliness of the hostel's manager.

I have had the bad luck to have my passport along with some souvenirs that I bought during my trip thrown away by their staffs, assuming that it was a rubbish bag without checking the content inside.
The manager was not only very unwillingly to help on trying to find it back but he also explained that it is a mistake which can just happen and he couldn't do anything about it.

I don't blame them for throwing away my belongings, but I am really stunned by the indifference of the owner of the hostel and the very bad service he provides to his customers while rejecting any responsibilities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FrancisDuan
Holderness, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

If you want to be treat like a child, then this hostel is for you.
Upon arrival we were bombarded with rules, such as no shoes (unnecessary in my opinion) and additional rules such as no stealing - inappropriate and unnerving.
Security lacking, only a code to access the front door, anyone could just follow you in and your room does not have a personal lock.
Most of staff very helpful and considerate. Housekeepers charge into your room early hours to empty the trash, that is only housekeeping you receive and also unhelpful when informing them of showers being cold. Not the cleanest of facilities either.
For the amount of rooms and guests in them, the quantity of bathroom facilities is lacking. Some do not have toilets and others are out of of bounds for a large portion of the day so that the hostel can do laundry.
Wi-Fi was advertised, only certain areas within the building that this was accessible - not ideal.
Would not return out of choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends