“A lot of Naval history”

Private US Navy Tour in Washington DC
Ranked #133 of 466 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to the National Museum of the United States Navy located in the historic Washington Navy Yard in Washington, DC. Housed in one of the historic buildings of the former Naval Gun Factory, the museum was established in 1961 and opened to visitors in 1963. As the flagship museum of 10 naval museums, the NMUSN represents the entire history of the United States Navy. Inspiring the honor, courage, and commitment of the Navy and the public, our collection includes over 5,000 artifacts and works of art spanning more than 240 years.
Reviewed 25 July 2013

While we were disappointed that the destroyer was not available to see except from Thursday thru Sunday, we did enjoy seeing the Naval museum. It has memorabilia from the beginning of the US Navy to today. If you love Naval history or military history, you can see hours.

1  Thank L H
"on display"
in 13 reviews
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 22 July 2013

First piece of advice DON'T WALK FROM THE NAVY YARD METRO, it is way too far even if it does not look like it on the map.

If you enjoy naval or military history you are going to love this place.

Stop at the Dunkin Donuts on base (you walk right by it) on the way to the museum, the lady behind the counter told me that kids get free donuts (my son got a chocolate one) after 1pm.

On the base there is history everywhere. Cannons from the sailing ship days, guns from battleships and my personal favorite, a World War One train car, that carried a large caliber gun with a navy crew that saw action in Europe.

This is before you get to the museum. Inside you can very easily be overwhelmed with naval history from the beginning of the country to the present. Kids (ok, ok, and adults) can sit on gun mounts from 20mm AAA guns all the way to 5 inch naval cannons. There are models of famous ships, not so famous ships and the actual submersible TRIESTE is hanging from the ceiling. (The TRIESTE was the fist submersible to go to the bottom of the Mariana Trench)

The are pictures, uniforms and weapons everywhere. A very small gift store with a limited selection of items compliments the museum. The building itself is in an only naval construction building. The overhead cranes are still in place.

The USS BARRY is a former destroyer now open for public tours. To be honest we did not go, our feet were dead after walking to the museum from the Navy Yard metro station. let me re-state, DON'T DO THIS! It is a very long way.

HIDDEN GEM: They are not going to enjoy me putting this here, but I had a question and saw where I thought it could be answered. The Naval Archeology Unit. I went in to ask a question about a naval artifact I have, wrong place, but I found out that they research shipwrecks and sunken airplanes. On the wall is a poster displaying a TBS Devastator that they are working on. There are other examples around of what they are working on that are awesome. This is a great hidden gem to visit but I would suggest making an appointment instead of dropping in the way we did. Even still they were very friendly and helpful.

2  Thank creeker000
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Being an old Navy Veteran, I just had to visit this place. There's a lot of construction going on so it was a little difficult to figure out how to get into the Navy Yard, which is where the Museum in located. I took a taxi to the Visitor's Center at the O St. Gate. After that, I just walked around using the map they provided. Not only did I visit the Museum (excellent), I walked around and visited many of the other buildings. I spent about a half a day there. I am very happy that I did.

2  Thank Robert L
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

In the height of tourist season my wife and I decided to go here after the national archive line was wrapped around the block. The closest subway station is about a mile away and the museum is in a secure navy yard so you have to check in at the gate and show identification. Be sure to check the website for directions on where to enter. Once inside it is extremely impressive. Also no crowd. An outstanding collection of items from colonial days to post WWII. I was able to learn a lot about ships and guns my grandfathers experienced. I'd you have a relative who served on the navy and you come here you will not be disappointed. Absolutely worth getting off the beaten path to go see.

1  Thank Chris C
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Loved this museum! We had an itinerary for each day of our week long vacation to DC but this wasn't on it. However, we finished things a bit earlier and found some time that needed filling so we decided to go to the Navy Yard and visit the museum.

This is a place my dad could stay for a day or two maybe. If you like history, especially of the wars that have shaped our nation, this is for you. There's lots of information to see and read, so be prepared to stay for a while!

If you are taking someone with mobility issues, this museum is a good option since everything is on one level.

1  Thank chelleds