“Not what I expected”

The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #4 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed here for a night on a recent trip as I like to be in and around the Georgetown area when I visit Washington. This is because Georgetown is very safe compared to the rest of Washington and there's a lot to do, see and buy. It's really almost a separate community from the rest of the nation's capital.

This is a relatively new Ritz Carlton. The hotel is on the site of a former industrial building, which gives it a very unique look and feel. It really wasn't my style though. It felt more boutique-like verses luxury, upscale hotel.

When I checked in, my room wasn't ready despite it being 3 o'clock in the afternoon. After about 15 minutes, I was upgraded to a suite that included a full dining room for six people and even a study. Needless to say, the room was exceptional, though I thought it was a bit odd to only have one bedroom with a six-person dining room.

I encountered no issues with my stay. The hotel is a block or two off the main street in Georgetown, which makes it a little bit more quiet. It's the kind of place where you could easily escape for a weekend.

The staff was very friendly, but I found them to be slightly unprofessional. I don't feel it is appropriate for hotel staff to address you by your first name nor should they be inquiring about your intentions on your visit. This should be a purely business and transactional relationship. I really don't want to explain myself to a front desk clerk. One staff-related issue that did arise: There wasn't a bellman on duty when I checked in, which I found unusual considering the luxury nature of the Ritz Carlton brand.

Overall, this was a very nice hotel. It didn't exceed my expectations but it didn't disappoint either. I would consider staying here again, though I would probably try out other luxury hotels in Washington first.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank planetraincar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
Virginia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Went to a wedding of one of my best friends in early Nov.

The wedding was across the street and then reception was at the Ritz. This was a great setup because we could park at the hotel and to just walk across the street to the wedding, and then back for the reception.

The reception was not only great because of the location, but also because the staff was wonderful. They would meet any need that we had, and even would make special requests.

Definitely would look at the Ritz as a wedding reception venue.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

First time in Washington and my husband surprised me with thus beautiful boutique hotel, the room was amazingly big and comfy, the staff were all very polite and smiley. Funny enough we stayed in the hotel more this time more than we ever had!
The location was brilliant, just up the road was the famous M Street with all the nice shops, restaurants and bars, a little way off from most of the historical places but that was not a problem. Just do the hop on and hop off bus tour you'll get to see most of it. We definitely recommend this hotel.

1 Thank PrettyEastSussex
Baltimore
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed here over night on a Saturday. Lets start with the good things: the doormen and valet team is very good. Courteous, efficient, and engaging. The bell staff was also quite good. The building is very cool and the lobby scene is energetic and elegant. The Georgetown location is great for dining, shopping, walking, and being in the middle of a DC experience.

Now the gaps: registration team is spotty. Not crisp or on top of their information. The response in the morning hours (7:30 am Sunday) dismal. I called five different numbers to get our cars brought to the front of the hotel so that I could get to the airport. Five numbers, no answer. Not one.....operator, client services, valet, front desk, operator....nothing. Bad news anywhere but especially at a RC. The "fitness center is way too small and under stocked with work out machines. For this hotel, in this location it is a real weakness. The management should amp up their fitness facility and fix the responsiveness of the support team.
I have stayed at many RCs and I have to place this one at the low end of the community.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Mitchellville, Maryland
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel for a getaway weekend and were delighted with the whole experience. The staff is very friendly and attentive, the location is fabulous, the hotel is beautiful. We had a suite and it was just great, spacious, clean and very comfortable. We used the spa for massage and the staff was excellent, we did the Couples massage and were very pleased with the experienced masseuses. We would highly recommend the property!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edsteam
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Upon checking into the Ritz-Carlton Georgetown last week, I was distressed as I realized I had left my laptop in my clients boardroom over 2 1/2 hours away. The concierge, Joey Metts, noticed my distress and immediately brought me a glass of champagne and determined a game plan. He and Raul Febela organized a car service to retrieve my laptop the next morning and couldn't have been more professional or displayed a higher level of customer service. I generally stay at the Four Seasons as I think they have the best customer service in the world. However, I have to say the customer service at this Ritz far surpassed any customer service I've ever received. Every staff I encountered during this trip was simply phenomenal. The hotel had the feel of boutique, luxury hotel...very personal and warm. My room was just lovely and I really enjoyed relaxing in the beautiful lobby in front of a roaring fireplace. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank MPSerenbe
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This is a top notch business venue with central location, discreet but excellent service - and on a business trip nothing more I could have asked for. The amenities are all you ever need on a work trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business