“Inspiring Hospitality & Setting”

The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #5 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Many acclaimed hotels offer excellent facilities, amenities, and service. However, not many offer excellent hospitality. The type of hospitality that the staff is truly genuine and passionate, which creates seamless friendships and lasting and unexpected memories for their guests. When I left the Ritz Carlton Georgetown I felt truly inspired by the hospitality and much more!

At the time of my reservation I had requested their 1 suite with 2 double beds and more importantly to request a newly renovated room. The renovation I learned had only began shortly before my stay. On the day prior to my I arrival I received a call and e-mail from Dan stating that they would not be able to accommodate the 2 double beds request but they would upgrade me to a larger newly renovated king suite.

On the day of arrival, I received an e-mail from Dan at 12pm stating that my room was ready for check-in. I later arrived at the hotel for the most fabulous check-in with Shervonne! She was energetic, fun, and genuine!

Our suite on the east wing was beautiful and quiet with windows on 3 sides overlooking their urban garden and cross streets. This boutique hotel is a converted incinerator, which makes for a unique layout and common areas, featuring a lot of red brick. The location is perfect, especially when traveling with a dog. They have a garden area where you can sit with your dog, and it's a 1-block walk to the river park. Degrees, their bar/restaurant was a nice place where the bartenders would chat with us and also serve great drinks, and even ramen burgers. Housekeeping was accommodating, and even left water for my dog at turn down. And also, have to say, room service was terrific.

When my dog's crate was left in our car, Shervonne had the crate retrieved and built for us when we returned! On the 1st night when we were enjoying a s'more and looking through books in the lobby, Shervonne unexpectedly brought us complimentary champagne drinks, which was perfect as we were about to take ourselves on a tour of the hotel. Shortly thereafter, Shervonne, again unexpectedly "wanted" to show us their private chimney stack meeting room. The following morning we grabbed coffees in the lobby and were on our way out to walk my dog along the river, when a gentleman offered us waters to take with us. The bag of waters even contained a disposable dish for my dog, much appreciated on a near 90 degree day. On our last night we were in a rush to get to Union Station for a bus tour, and the bellman offered us the use of their house Mercedes S-Class, complete with waters, magazines, and a driver who was extremely informative and hilarious!!

At check-out I went to grab a few fireballs (the candy, which keeps with the incinerator theme) from the front desk, and instead, they sent me home with a whole bag of them! As a hotel enthusiast, I felt truly inspired by both the hospitality and the setting of this Ritz Carlton, and will without a doubt return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Traveler_424
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Have stayed at the other 2 Ritz locations in the area and this is my new fav. Stayed w husband and our 2 teenagers. Fantastic corner suite that was huge and had 2 bathrooms. Really nice furnishings. Tucked away on quiet street, but still in the middle of everything in Georgetown. check-in was a breeze and the staff was friendly. Big fan.

Room Tip: Try to snag a corner suite--great sunlight and floor to ceiling windows on 2 full walls.
Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kara S
Reviewed 18 June 2014

A little hard for my Uber driver to find but the hotel is a delight. This was my second stay there in two years and it was wonderful. While we expect the Ritz to be top of the line the fact that this is a small, quiet and relaxed hotel makes all the difference.

If you want to get some peace and quiet in a very busy city it'll be hard to beat this Georgetown hotel.

Just an additional comment...On two occasions Mike was my waiter at the restaurant...he is super!

Room Tip: I enjoyed a ground floor room looking out on the terrace. Quiet and private and just down the hall...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We've stayed at several Ritz Carlton properties, and this one did not disappoint. The building is not the typical hotel structure, but the lobby, spa, fitness center, and guest rooms are beautifully appointed. We were greeted with smiles and chilled bottled waters at check-in, and continued to receive an outstanding level of personalized service throughout our four-day stay. The front desk made our Saturday night dinner reservations (no simple task), and the doormen offered us great suggestions for shopping as well as accurate walking directions. They currently have just one restaurant open, but the service and food quality were good and there are dozens of exceptional eateries within a 5 minute walk. The turn-down service included classical music, a 'roaring fire' and a box of chocolates. We will definitely make this hotel our first choice when we return to Georgetown.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

So the location is great for shopping and other local Georgetown activities, and the property itself is very attractive and well maintained, but with some notable exceptions, the staff is missing the special something you expect from a Ritz. Despite having stayed at this Ritz a number of times over the past few years, the front desk had no record of our previous stays or preferences. Our booking terms included a complimentary upgrade if available. however, we were told that the hotel was full. When we went to our assigned room, we found that it required further cleaning. After speaking to a different person at the front desk, we were sent to a new room. A suite! Now I suppose it's possible that they received a cancellation in the intervening 10 minutes, but I think the first front desk person simply lied to us about availability. Is this what everyone in Washington does?

A second issue was breakfast, which is served in the bar (!) the kitchen just could not get a simple order straight.( by the way, this is a recurring problem in the sister Ritz property on 21 st street.) a saving grace is that the Food and Beverage Manager was extremely courteous in resolving this matter .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Jeff B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Rokko193,

As the General Manager of The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C. I am extremely interested in the comments posted on-line regarding our hotel as we are constantly striving to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests. I appreciate you taking the time to provide constructive feedback related to your most recent experience; I would look forward to speaking with you further regarding this most recent visit and may be reached at (202) 912-4122.

Sincerely, Jeff Brower, General Manager

Reviewed 13 June 2014

This review is just for the food at the bar. Visited recently with three friends in order to check out the ramen sliders we had read about online. Some folks think they could be DC's take on the next food trend (like the cronut).

The sliders, drinks, and small plates were all delicious but what impressed me more was the fabulous service. The staff couldn't do enough for us from making sure we liked the sliders to chatting about how they compared with the NYC version to bringing over some awesome smores! I loved the chill vibe in the bar and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Had a conference in DC so we took the entire family down and managed to get a suite at the hotel. Kids were amazed and the staff treated them like family. The only problem was that the kids expected all future hotels to be like the Ritz.

Room Tip: If you have kids get a suite with the pull out bed in the other room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business