“Spectacular! 5 Star experience across the board”

The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #4 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
NJ
“Spectacular! 5 Star experience across the board”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Spent two weekends back-to-back for a summer camp drop-off @ G'twn and couldn't be more satisfied and impressed. Check-in was smooth and highly civilized...sitting down a desk with the offer a cool beverage to breeze through paperwork. Rooms are well-designed and handsomely decorated, spacious and comfortable with luxurious bathrooms. The hotel's layout and historic architecture are charming and move you beyond the usual box-like hotel experiences to one that is more engaging. Restaurant/bar/lobby food service is an experience to be truly enjoyed on your visit. A jewel on the first floor, expertly managed by Chris and team, reminds you what world class hospitality is all about. Hotel location is ideal, tucked in between the main corridor in town and the waterfront. It's our new favorite when visiting DC/G'twn with no debate.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JoanBarbara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

My husband & I had the pleasure of staying here during the weekend we moved our daughter into Georgetown Univ. We chose it strictly due to its proximity to the campus--a 5-10 minute walk. Upon arrival, unlike many other reviewers, I was impressed with the overall understated look of the exterior. The building is architecturally fantastic, as it formerly was an incinerary. The hotel is the Ritz first attempt at a boutique property, only 85 rooms. I was delighted to not see stuffy wood paneling, gold fixtures, etc, you usually see at many other Ritz properties, including the downtown DC property. Inside, this one is sleek & contemporary but at the same time welcoming. The woman who checked us in was extremely friendly & efficient. We thought it was interesting that we had to walk down stairs to get to our room located on the lower level, but no worries, it had a large operable window which let in plenty of light. The room & bathroom had all the amenities and the bed was incredibly comfortable. However, the reason our stay was so terrific was due to the magnificent staff. Sean our bar server, Chris the bar manager and Peter & Daniel at the front desk all made our stay even better. (Chris gave us a tour of the private dining room located at the bottom of the incinerary smoke stack, which was pretty incredible!) We did experience one mishap- early both mornings we were surprised with an extremely loud screeching noise the came intermittently for about 20 minutes. I called the first morning & reported it to Peter who quickly got the engineering staff to look into it. When we left for the day a short time later, Peter handed us 4 drink coupons for the inconvenience. The following morning we heard the sound again. Upon check out 20 minutes later, Daniel insisted on comping us one of our nights for the trouble. We thought that was extremely over generous, but exactly the kind of customer service you come to expect from the Ritz name. The hotel is in a great location -- a block off M St., a block off the river & a mile or so walk to the subway station. I'm looking forward to staying here many more times during my daughter's next 4 years!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank theresaw
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at the Ritz Carleton in Georgetown on a recent family trip. This was easily one of the best hotel experiences we have had. The hotel is beautiful and perfectly located in the heart of Georgetown close to both the harbour front, shopping and dining. The room was specious and beautifully appointed. By far the most remarkable part of our stay was the staff. They were attentive, helpful, friendly and each and every one of them went out of their way to anticipate our needs. We have stayed at many Ritz Carleton hotels and this experience is at the top of our list. Fantastic!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JJWooge
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We came to the Ritz - Georgetown - for my sister's wedding, held here, and spent one night. The wedding was planned to be outside in the garden area, but this had to change due to rain; you would never have known it as everything looked amazing and went off without a hitch. The facility was wonderful and the ceremony and reception was great. The room we stayed in was very large and comfortable and everything was flawless.

My youngson was the only child at the wedding and the Ritz staff went so far above-and-beyond to accomdiate him that I was, and still am, in awe. When we arrived in our room, they had a really nice crib waiting for him with a blanket with a ton of colorful animals on it, a stuff animal and big rubber ducky waiting for him and gave him another stuffed animal during the course of our stay. During the reception, they brought him out a special kids meal (not requested beforehand) and also let him have a full adult meal, dessert, and other foods! He was treated fantastically and this helped me and my wife out so much.

All of the service we received could not have been beat. We had a wonderful experience, largely due to the amazing staff and the wonderful service we received. Fantastic.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My friend and I recently visited the hotel on Saturday morning to experience the Yoga Brunch which consists of an hour-long yoga class followed by a bottomless brunch (BM's or mimosas) with your choice of three small plate dishes.

New to yoga, I was a little afraid that the class would be over my head, but it was an incredibly enjoyable experience. The instructor checked on me without being too obvious and my more experienced companion reported that she got a great work out.

The brunch after was fantastic. We started out with bottomless mimosas for me and bloody mary's for my friend. Both were fantastic, but the bloody mary was a standout and one of the best I've had in the city! The food was great, when you go you MUST get the scallops, lemon ricotta pancakes and the breakfast flat-bread.

As usual, the Ritz service can't be topped. The staff members did a great job directing us to the yoga area and treating us at brunch. The server was attentive and refilled our glasses when they started to get low.

I'm so glad the team has decided to extend the Yoga Brunch through the fall and add Sunday's to the offering. For a local or out-of-town visitor this is a true treat and a great way to spend your weekend morning. We left full and satisfied..mind, body, spirit and stomach.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leah K
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 28 July 2014

As others have commented, it's in an interesting location with a bit of a different lobby atmosphere than most Ritz's I've stayed in. Yet, at the end of the trip, I was quite pleased to have stayed there! I often stay at the Mandarin in Washington, DC but this trip wound up in Georgetown.

Took a taxi from the airport and once dropped off I was promptly checked in to the hotel. My room was terrific. It was comfortable, fairly spacious with a huge bathroom and all the amenities. I did have a little problem not letting my door slam when I went in and out....hate to disturb anyone....but I had trouble getting it to latch! Everything else worked perfectly and the room was of the standards one would expect at the Ritz!

Had a working meeting one night with a buffet dinner served. The food was all at the proper temperature, served well, and, of course, delicious. Even for a buffet the food couldn't have been any better. I was very pleased with it all.

Check out was easy. I identified an error on my bill and the gentleman at the desk said he'd take care of it. Unfortunately, the error came through on my credit card, but after calling the hotel, I'm told it's now been fixed. A bit disappointed that would happen at the Ritz, but....we're all human.

I loved the stay and would be happy to go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were a little hesitant when we first arrived at this property, but by the time we left we were big fans. The property does not give a great first impression in that it has an odd layout for a five star. To get to the rooms you have to go down one flight from the lobby, transfer elevators, and then go up. The lobby decor is not bad, it's just not elegant or refined - more business and bar like - the restaurant is the same way. The rooms, if not elegant, are comfortable, well appointed, and highly functional. I think we'd have been happier if we didn't sometimes hear the comings and goings in the hallway, but it was well within reason (yes, I'm fussy about noise). Here's the good news. For whatever challenges this property faces in reaching a five star status, it more than makes up for in service. This is a superbly trained staff that would do any property proud. Across the line - bellmen, front desk, maintenance, waiters, housekeeping - every single encounter we had with staff was impressive - professional, knowledgeable, appropriately friendly, and a real desire to make us happy.

By the way, the location is great. A short walk to the best of Georgetown. Summing up: a 4 star property with a "five plus" staff. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple