“Beyond Expectations, Staff Felt Like Family”

The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #5 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 5 August 2009

One expects the Ritz to be a relaxing and impeccable retreat, and the Georgetown location does not disappoint. Despite a somewhat labyrinthine layout owing to its architectural heritage, the Ritz Georgetown is laid out effectively and offers a terrific blend of living room spaces and ultra-posh, knock your socks off areas. The rooms are equally phenomenal, impeccably cleaned, and stylishly decorated; it's hard to not want to simply live there.

But my reason for writing this review has little to do with the hotel facilities. The thing that set apart this stay was the fantastic staff. Unlike the typically aloof and pretentious staff at many luxury hotels, the Georgetown location has very real, wonderful people working in every department. I had the misfortune of falling ill while at the Ritz and I was genuinely moved by the way everyone from the concierges, to the front desk, the bell stand, housekeeping, and even room service felt the need to check-in on me. It made an awful situation much more bearable and won over a customer for life.

Incredible, simply incredible. There is no need to look for any other hotel in the DC area.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank hbajwa

Reviewed 11 July 2009

We spent two very relaxing nights stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Georgetown. My wife and our two young children took advantage of the hotels Reconnect promotion. We booked a suite and we were not disappointed. Our room was W-4-62 on the fourth floor. It was a spacious 900 sq. ft. with one of the most gorgeous bathrooms I have ever seen. It had a deep soaking tub and a shower that was 40 sq. ft. Our room also had a half bath and views out to a quiet courtyard. The hotel provided us with a crib for our daughter and a rollaway bed for our son. Our bed was extremely comfortable and I never heard any bothersome noises from outside. The property is red bricks, black steel, medium dark wood and glass. The Reconnect program gave us hotel credit in the amount of $200.00. This amount covered our breakfast each morning which we all agreed was delicious and valet parking of our car for our stay. The ambiance of the property was masculine and stunning. Both the lobby and the restaurant Farenheit were very striking spaces. Every morning at breakfast, the manager came over to say hello. Our housekeeper D was warm and very professional. The service overall was seamless and courteous. If I was forced to find fault with this hotel, I would say that the televisions could be updated and there is no convenient Metro stop nearby. Also, though no fault of the hotel in any way, the amount of homeless men with their coin cups on M Street was alarming. They were everywhere. Notwithstanding any of these minor observations, we had a fabulous stay at the Georgetown Ritz-Carlton.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2009

this hotel, as so many other reviewers have said, seems nice. it is small and it does feel somewhat exclusive because of its size and how the entrance is hidden away. that's all true. but it's really expensive and after spending three nights there last week, i cannot for the life of me figure out where all that money goes.

for the record, i travel about 20 weeks a year for work and stay in hotels all over the country. so i have a pretty tuned eye for what you really want and need in a good stay experience.

my complaint list is long:

the rooms were small. we were not upgraded to a suite, so we had a standard room that wasn't much bigger than your average fairfield inn.

the bedding was terrible. stiff beds that felt old and pillows that were so out of fluff that your head went right through them to the mattress. again, i get better pillows and a more comfortable bed at most of the courtyards i stay at.

layout is completely stupid. you have to go underground to get to your room, just to pop up to the first floor. transporting bags back and forth to the room and the long walk for a small hotel made me wonder what the heck people were thinking when they designed the place.

our fancy bose stereo system in the room didn't work.

the tv was a 27 inch CRT that has probably been passed down from a marriott that has recently upgraded everything to flat screen HDTVs. the sound and picture were what you'd expect in a motel.

the television service included about 10 channels that worked, another 10 that were in foreign languages. i have no problem with giving international travelers some access to their home networks. but please... the vast majority of the people there are americans and you can't even get channels like foodtv or comedy central.

the bathrooms were nicely appointed at first glance, but the reality is that the tub and shower are purely functional for one person. so much for romance.

the food service is exceptionally over-priced. i understand that hotels charge a premium for food service. however, there is a point where even the super rich have to shake their heads. the continental breakfast room service option was "a basket of pastries, your choice of juice, and a carafe of coffee" for (get this) $26 plus a $3.50 delivery charge. you'd get a better breakfast from the local market, a few steps away from the hotel, for about $4.

on our third night at the hotel, we had a fire drill at 1:15 AM. the alarm went off for about an hour while we stood in the parking lot. not sure who to blame for this, but no fire department personnel ever came. the manager of the hotel led us back inside after assuring us that there was no fire (really reassuring). when we got to our rooms, the alarm was still blaring. the whole situation smacked of incompetence. there was no mention of apology or compensation given to guests who had their vacations interrupted. there was even a couple there standing in the tux and wedding dress. the ritz certainly ruined their night.

my wife and i attempted to use the courtesy car on four separate occasions during our stay. we never got to use it. it only runs during very restricted hours, and not on weekends. it was a perk that the reservation agent boasted about that was absolutely useless. and, not to be too snobby, but the car that was never available to us was a lincoln towncar. i've been at other ritz carlton's where the car has much more class, such as a bentley or a mercedes.

the location of this hotel is ideal if you're interested in shopping at a pottery barn or a jcrew. other than that, it has no benefits. there's no metro nearby. national airport take-offs cruise right over the hotel. there's literally a freeway within a stone's throw outside the window of the river facing rooms. one of the roads adjacent to the hotel was packed with cars late at night and loud screams from drunkards/homeless people kept us up at night. if you are looking for a private, quiet getaway, this isn't the place. you'd be better off on a high floor at a mega-hotel in the city center.

there is no pool. not even a whilrpool. the gym is equipped with the saddest collection of workout machinery i have ever seen. again, i've stayed in $100 a night hotels with better gym equipment. two 10 year old eliptical machines and a stationary bike, some free weights, all jammed into a 14 by 10 space. just a complete failure for a hotel that charges hundreds of dollars a night.

when i chose this hotel, i had narrowed myself down to it, the downtown ritz, or two other marriott properties in the area. i'm now convinced that considering the price i absolutely made the wrong decision. this hotel is incredibly expensive, designed poorly, and no more comfortable than your average airport budget courtyard or hampton inn.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank tockeyhockey
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We had a great few days in the Ritz just a block from M street in the heart of Georgtown. The hotel is in an old incinerator but you would never know it. We liked the spacious public areas and the breakfast room. The small suite we stayed in was nice although a bit non descript. It is a long walk from hte lobby to the rooms whihc are down long corridors. The service was very good and the staff were always helpful. No views to speak of.

Best of all is the location--enabling you to enjoy the hustle/bustle of Georgeown.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2009

First trip to DC and unsure about what part of town to stay in, I took a leap of faith and booked the Georgetown Ritz Carlton. It was the perfect choice! Loved the area with lots of restuarants and shops. The hotel was a peaceful oasis steps away from the vibrant area. The room was beautifully maintained and the bath was luxurious. Breakfast was included in our rate & it was delicious. Staff was excellent, very friendly. We walked a few blocks every morning and took the bus to go sight-seeing. We didn't use the fitness center because we got so much excerise during the day walking. Enjoyed cocktails at the Paper Moon which was steps from the hotel. Don't hesitate to book this hotel - it is fantastic!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I recently spent two nights at the Ritz-Carlton Georgetown while on a business trip. It was very hard to leave.

The hotel itself is built in what used to be the area's incinerator. As a result, the layout is not at all traditional. One gets to the rooms through a smallish tunnel that was most probably used for stoking the fires. Red brick is everywhere. It's not a typical Ritz-Carlton.

Guest rooms are lovely. I was fortunate to be able to stay in a suite but the "standard" guest rooms are anything but standard. They're top-flight. Couple that with high-end Bulgari toiletries and outstanding service, and you have a definite winner!

The service was impeccable! I had a couple of occasions to call the front desk and the responses were almost immediate. Very impressive! The only tiny hiccup was that my appointment with the hotel's sales manager ran about 1/2 hour late However, that was because Brittany Spears and the Pussycat Dolls had spent the night at the hotel post-concert and had needed some special attention before they depatured. Hey, sometimes you're out-ranked!

I ate breakfast and lunch at Fahrenheit, the on-site restaurant, and enjoyed both. While prices reflect the convenience (which is to say they're higher than an off-site restaurant), both the food and service were excellent. The Eggs Benedict -- my standard for judging a restaurant's breakfast prowess -- were the best I've had in a long time. The Hollandaise sauce could have had a bit more lemon punch for my taste, but the English muffins were more like crumpets: very tender and delicious.

For lunch, I had tastes of their fire-roasted tomato soup, the roast butternut squash soup with candied walnuts, and a simple Turkey Club with fries. All were tasty and well-prepared. If you dine at Fahrenheit, be sure to get a window seat, which will give you a great view of the smokestack.

Another note regarding the excellent service: just before leaving for a brief appointment, I called housekeeping to ask that my room be made up while I was gone. (Call me fussy, but I hate coming back to an unmade room.) They were very prompt and had almost completed their service when I returned to the room. The attendants were both polite, but one really got my attention when she addressed me by asking, "How are you, Mr. Carl?" (My last name is a bit unusual and gives some people difficulty.) The fact that she had my name at her disposal -- and, more importantly, USED it -- earns her very high marks in my book.

Finally, the hotel is close to the last vestiges of the Chesapeake and Ohio lock-and-canal system that George Washington envisioned as something of an interstate highway system. Very historic and very interesting!

You can read more on my travel blog, TravelPro55.blogspot.com, but all I can say is this: if you have the opportunity to stay at the Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, TAKE IT! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank TheTravelPro_us
Reviewed 9 March 2009

We flew in for 3 days and 2 nights. We had 5 star service which is what it is all about for me. The hotel is what you expect from a Ritz, lovely. It is smaller, boutique and very comfortable. The fireplace is a wonderful place to meet for a drink before dinner or enjoy an apertif after dinner. We were treated with white gloves by what I considered my "personal concierge," Raul. He was there for advice on restaurants, booking reservations, as well as being quite genorous with us. I am going to be returning to DC every other month in the future and am going to stay at GTown Ritz every time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family