“Great room, friendly staff”

Melrose Georgetown Hotel
Ranked #35 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great room, friendly staff”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Arrived on a Sunday afternoon expecting a small room, but was surprised to find I was in a very spacious room with a separate little 'office' area and a small changing room with wardrobe. The room itself was very large with a seating area.
There is very little space at the front of the hotel, so valet parking is a must, they were ready for me and the handover of the car was straight forward as was having the car waiting for me when it was needed the next morning.
Very short walk to the main attractions, the mall, the Whitehouse and George town itself.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
parker33, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear weechancer, we are glad to hear that you were pleased with your accommodations during your stay with us. We hope you will choose to stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel again when your travels bring you back to Washington, DC.

Jale Hashimi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I love the location--Foggy Bottom and Georgetown! Easy access to the Metro and the Circulator Route by bus. Union Station for $1.00! And for me ... Loved having a Catholic Church next door. It is the Church that JFK attended as President--pew marked where he sat. It was perfect since I was there on the 50th Anniversary of his death.

The lobby is inviting both in decor and spirit with comfortable seating, tvs, and lemon-water available. The staff was attentive, delightful, and very helpful. It is a relatively small hotel, which I prefer over the large chains.

The room was perfect. The dressing/vanity space had two full closets and large vanity area to dress--spacious enough to accommodate the iron board! The shower and deep tub and toilet were located at the far end of the space--separated by its own door. Included was a luscious bathrobe that I actually wore and enjoyed after a deep soaking in the tub!

I chose a king bed. The bedroom was large and nicely appointed. It had a small refrigerator hidden in the cabinets that was perfect since Trader Joe's is around the corner. The coffee set up with also hidden and had a nice slide out drawer and its own plug that made it easy and aesthetically pleasing. I enjoyed the comfortable chair with great lighting as I worked. And for all those road warriors--the plugs are sensibly located on the sides of the bed stands which made charging all the devices a breeze! And to add to this list--a basic internet for free!

Bottom line--this is my new favorite DC hotel. I did get it at an amazing price ($89) making this first visit an easy one--but I would easily return. It has great value, location, and a very smart and welcoming spirit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you, ssjmcd, for taking the time to write such a glowing five-star review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We could not be happier that you enjoyed your stay with us and are glad that you were able to take comfort in the amenities that we offer. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Washington, D.C.

Dublin
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Really nice large room . Comfortable bed , bedding and towels all new. It feels like it has recently had a full refurb. Brilliant location for both Washington and Georgetown. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
parker33, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Lazyfox: We are very glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and hotel location during your stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We hope you were easily able to enjoy so much of what Washington, DC has to offer, and hope you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to our area again.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I'll start by saying the older I get the more particular I am with my hotel experience. I moved from the Grand Hyatt for the first couple of days for business to the Melrose for the next couple days for fun. Both hotel rooms were nice, but I much preferred the Melrose overall. The welcoming lobby and very friendly staff are a huge plus. I liked the neighborhood feel as opposed to being in the heart of DC, but only a short walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro. It is a great feeling to walk into your home away from home after a long day of travel or sightseeing and feel comfortable without also feeling like you're getting ripped off. Some specifics on the room, lots of places to sit besides the bed unlike some other hotels. A desk to get my plan of attack together for the next day, a small couch at the foot of the bed and a reading chair with a light in the corner. Loved the iPod alarm clock so I could have music playing when getting ready. BTW, free wifi is hard to find in this city so this was a perk. There were also outlets built into the nightstands! There is a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's within blocks where I could buy a few things and keep in the fridge for breakfast to get a move on early. I like the vanity area separate from the toilet and shower if I was there with another person I could still utilize the vanity while they are in the shower. The bed was super comfortable lots of great pillows. I can't say enough how pleased I was with this hotel. The location was perfect to explore DC/Georgetown, a great atmosphere, friendly staff and welcoming clean environment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you, calewis33, for taking the time to write such a wonderful five-star review of your recent stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are delighted to hear that we were able to provide you with your "home away from home" while you were exploring our nation's capital. We hope to have the pleasure of you staying with us again when you once again find yourself in Washington, D.C.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Our suite was spacious and comfortable. The staff are excellent and helpful. Great location close to Georgetown restaurants, and close to transport. We would definitely stay here if we were ever in DC again

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Andy2411: It was a pleasure to have you stay with us during your visit to Washington, D.C. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, location and accommodations. If you are ever in D.C. again, we hope you will choose to stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel again.

Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I choose this hotel due to the location, I used to live 2 blocks from here. It is close to Georgetown, close to Foggy Bottom metro and a Whole Foods store, minutes from the White House etc etc
The staff, especially Robert, were very helpful when I checked in around noon. I got the room I asked for so I was a happy camper! I did however, have an issue with the AC that did not function properly (it was approx 85 degrees in the room even though the AC was set for 60, when I called the concierge the lady just told me to shut it off (?). The technician came to check it within 5-10mins - quick service is always appreciated. I did not reactivate the AC, the room was warm enough and I could open the window a bit to get some air (I loved that). The older gentleman/bell boy was nice and friendly, the doorman always courteous and I loved the tables outside, even though it was a bit chilly, it was nice to sit outside with some coffee and watch the world go by. Convenient were also the two pc's in the lobby area, with printer.
This is a hotel that I will come back to, you bet.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Hi Mieketing, thank you for choosing to stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your AC, as it is always our goal to make our guests as comfortable as possible. We already look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to Washington, D.C.

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have been staying at the Melrose for more than ten years due to its convenient location and easy access from north or south. Service has always been good but is especially friendly and professional now. The hotel has twice been updated and the most recent re-do of the lobby and rooms is most attractive. The lounge was an attractive and quiet place to conduct a brief business meeting. Many restaurant choices in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you, Nwk45, for your continued patronage of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. It is always a delight to see guests return time and time again, and are glad to hear that our renovations have been to your liking. We look forward to continuing to deliver friendly, professional service during your future stays with us.