“Flawed Facelift”

Ranked #39 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Last year they did a big ($24 M?) facelift to modernize. My room was very nice size, good bathroom facilities and nicely decorated. But only a handful of plugs to charge devices. The front door is completely unprotected, so whenever it opens (often) cold air sweeps in. The lobby, bar and restaurant were very drafty and uncomfortably cold. The is no breakfast buffet and service is slow. They forgot a wakeup call.

This is a nice hotel with an excellent location. They need to fix it up properly!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Bill60763, thank you for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our recently reinvented hotel boasts a central location in the heart of Georgetown, featuring spacious guest bedrooms and art-deco inspired interiors. We are very sorry for the discomfort you experienced and appreciate the feedback so that we can better accommodate in the future.

Jale Hashimi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Arrived around 11 pm. No one outside to assist with the luggage, although eventually the group of workers at the front desk broke up to help up to the room. Despite having a reservation for 2 beds, our room was apparently given away. They offered an "upgrade" to a suite, but one of the beds was a pullout. We attempted to order room service, which is advertised as 24 hours. When we called, the phone just rang. We called to the front desk who said the kitchen was closed. When we asked about the 24 hour services listed on the menu, they reluctantly agreed to bring some food. We attempted to order wine, but were told that room service doesn't serve alcohol, but we could go to the lobby. At the lobby bar, I was told it was closed (at 11.30?), but he reluctantly gave me two glasses to bring to the room. After about an hour wait a "chef salad" was brought that was on par with Lunchables (e.g., barely edible) and the lettuce was frozen. The ice cream did not come with the cake as per the menu. We went to put the tray in the hall and a man was sleeping in the hall. I called down to the front desk to alert them and I was told "no problem". That just about sums the attitude here.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank pali1

pali1, thank you for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Nobody should experience inadequate service during their stay with us, and we apologize for the miscommunications between your room and dining services. I hope you will give Melrose Georgetown Hotel another chance with a meal on us, at our farm-to-fork restaurant, Jardenea.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is a very nice boutique hotel in a good neighborhood. The staff are friendly and professional, the rooms are well appointed. There is a good gym. I have stayed there three times. On two occasions, the public printer was not working for printing boarding passes. On the third occasion, I could not turn down the heat in my room, and it was uncomfortably hot. I spoke with guest services, they apologized, and suggested turning off the thermostat and opening the window. Unfortunately, it was very cold outside so that didn't work for me. In the end the hotel did not charge me for my stay and allowed me to check out one day early. This is a well-managed hotel, so I hope the problems with temperature control get sorted.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms, they are very noisy.
1  Thank ArmandP517

Thank you, ArmandP517, for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad to hear you took advantage of our deluxe amenities, including our fitness center. We are very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced with your stay and are working to fix the temperature issues. We do hope you give us another chance to impress you again on your next visit to Washington, D.C.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I worked for several years in DC and was not aware of Melrose Georgetown. This was a huge misfortune. I would have done much better job as a host to my visitors. Melrose, I discovered first hand when I visited DC to attend a conference. It is very conveniently located; as classy as, but less ostentatious and less expensive than more well known competitors nearby, and very comfortable and relaxing. It is now my "go to" hotel for my DC visitors. The staff is friendly and efficient, parking is available and both privacy and access coexist. The White House is a reasonable walk, as well as the World Bank and IMF and good restaurants.

Room Tip: 7th Floor was quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you, Fitz F, for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We love to hear that we can adequately provide for your business travels. Our recently reinvented, art-deco inspired interiors with spacious guest bedrooms help to provide a relaxing and enjoyable space. Our location in the hub of the city lets us easily explore the vast, historically rich surroundings and we are so glad you could enjoy. We can't wait to see you again on your next visit to DC.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have mixed feelings about letting people in on the secret of Georgetown's hidden gem, the Melrose hotel...tucked in a perfect location for easy walking to Georgetown restaurants and shopping and metro access, the only reason to rent a car for your visit is to enjoy the prompt, friendly valet service...but you can enjoy the same personalized guest service with every encounter at the Melrose, from the charming bar (it's almost hard to go to Georgetown when it's so cozy here) to the boutique restaurant. Recently renovated, the expansive (and quiet!) rooms are outfitted with all the latest in an elegant, yet warm styel. This is a 5-star hotel in a 5-star location with rates that won't last long. Great for business, the Melrose will make you want to extend your stay with a romantic weekend. Tell the outstanding Majordomo Parker Sams I sent you....

Room Tip: The suites are a steal
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lh00ver, thank you for your wonderful review of the recently reinvented Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We love our convenient location in the heart of Georgetown, giving us access to the colorful, bustling neighborhood. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our signature farm-to-fork restaurant, Jardenea, and the adjacent Jardenea lounge, serving only fresh ingredients from local purveyors. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Washington, DC!

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Thank you Mia for making my stay at The Melrose very pleasant. Every time during inclement weather, you were always very customer service friendly with me. I have always appreciated your service and I would like to say Thank you for all that you do.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Ruth M, thank you for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our hotel staff strive to provide optimal service. We are so glad to hear Mia provided you with the customer service that Melrose Georgetown Hotel promises. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit, Ruth M.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed at the Melrose while attending a conference and found the hotel to be excellent and its staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. It was so much nicer than a chain hotel! My room was lovely, the bed was comfortable, the restaurant was very convenient, and the location is excellent. I'd like to stay there again with my husband when we have time to enjoy the many sights and activities that DC offers.

1  Thank KathyLeeLineboro

Thank you, KathyLeeLineboro, for your review of our recently reinvented Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our spacious guest bedrooms and convenient location in the heart of the colorful Georgetown neighborhood. We look forward to seeing you and your husband on your next visit to D.C. where perhaps you can enjoy dinner at our farm-to-fork restaurant, Jardenea.