“Very nice with caveats”

Melrose Georgetown Hotel
Ranked #40 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We arrived around midnight as our flight was delayed 8 hours. We had pre-paid for five night (not just a deposit, but the entire stay). We were very unhappy to learn they had given away our king sized bed room and only had a room with two double beds. Another couple was also trying to check in and although they had a confirmation were being told the hotel was sold out and they had no record of their reservation. Later we were told that there was new staff in training as an explanation to the check in problems. Mistakes happen and they were very generous compensating us with restaurant credit. The goof-up lead to us moving rooms after the first night so I was able to see the difference between two different rooms. Here are my observations: 1)The first room was dirty. When we walked into the first room's bathroom it had long black hair on the bathroom white tile floor. Now this could have been the cleaning person's and no big deal. However there was some short black pubic hair in the corner of the floor by the tub too which meant that whoever cleaned this room did a terrible job. I was completely grossed out. 2)The next thing was an air vent for the first room was about 5 feet by 3 feet on the ceiling above one if the beds. It cycled on and off all night, each time going through the cycle making a loud clunking sound. I slept with a pillow over my head. The second room had the same sized vent but it was in a closet so it didn't wake you up. 3)Speaking of pillows, if you don't like foam pillows you are going to be out of luck. They have very thick foam pillows that cock your head at a sure-to-give-you-a-stiff-neck-by-the-morning angle. 4)The bathroom in the first room was fine if you were a single person staying but it was too small to comfortably fit two people getting ready in the morning simultaneously. The bathroom of the the second room (and in fact the entire room) was large and spacious. 5)Many hotels have a sweeper at the bottom of the hallway doors to minimize noise. This hotel doesn't. Walking down the hall you could easily hear conversations in the rooms. And the reverse - everything happening in the hall was easily heard from inside the room. The first room we had was by the elevator so everyone leaving the floor walked by the door and made it futile to try to sleep in. The second room was at the very end of the hall so hallway noise didn't present any problem. 6)the hotel staff was extremely nice and tried to be helpful. If you stay there you should be aware you should get a map because asking the hotel staff directions wasn't very illuminating. They really didn't seem to know where things were (or at least the attractions we wanted to visit). 7)the location was great. It was about 3.5 blocks from the foggy bottom Metro stop. It was on the blue line so it allowed you to ride from the airport directly to the hotel without transferring and also from the hotel to the mall area (where the monuments and most smithsonian museums are at) without transferring so it was extremely convenient.

Overall: I would recommend this hotel and say there again. I would make sure I got the room I requested, it was clean, decently sized, and in a quiet location. And I would try to check in early enough so if there were problems they could be quickly fixed.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank jmm6014
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you jmm6014, for your thorough review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. I apologize for all of the inconveniences you experienced with your stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our hotel staff strives to make all of our guests feel right at home, and what you experienced is unacceptable. I will look into all of the areas where there seemed to be a breakdown in your services to prevent those issues from happening a second time. We do hope you give us another chance to impress you on your next visit to Washington, D.C.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've stayed a week a few times on business. I like this property.
Positives:
- Room size and comfort
- Not cookie-cutter
- Quality of linens
- Responsive and prompt when a few minor problem have popped up
- Good bar, albeit small. The head bar tender very nice (if the facility reads this - please tell him someone on the internet was signing his praises).
- Good gym. Small by some standards, but the equipment is in good shape, there are options, it is clean and you don't feel like you are stuck in a jail cell like some properties. Good investment.
- Like the overall design and small guest touches. The lobby area is a great place for gathering and is smartly designed to comfortably accommodate groups of people. Chilled water too.
- The staff. All well trained and make you feel at home.
- Clean.
- A few blocks from transportation.
- Refrigerator in room.
- The furniture feels high-end, but has the good utility like PLENTY of plug-ins!

Negatives:
- The bath has been redone and there has been some discoloration - perhaps mold?- in both my bathrooms
- No coffee in room (HOWEVER they provide in lobby and it is Lavazza which is better than the in-room packets).

I don't have any strong negative feelings about the facility. I've had some small issues pop up and the staff were VERY responsive to fixing them and then checked back in to make sure everything was fine. Exactly the response you want when a problem arises. Management has stopped to make sure everything is going well. Had a great breakfast. Felt one manager went above and beyond to help me print something right away. Overall, very impressed. I imagine the property has been updated recently and it was done well. Fun atmosphere.

I travel to DC often and prefer the Melrose to many other hotels I've stayed in, particularly the bigger brands.

1  Thank Liz I

Liz I, thank you for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. It is great to hear that Melrose Georgetown Hotel has helped shaped your positive experience visiting the nation's capital. Our recently reinvented hotel offers large social spaces and colorful, art-deco inspired decor that take inspiration from the bustling Georgetown neighborhood. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Washington, D.C., when perhaps you may try a meal at our signature farm-to-fork restaurant Jardenea.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at the Melrose for 1 night on a business trip with my wife. Everything was top notch. Check in was simple and the nice lady behind the counter couldn't have been better. The room was fantastic, with a separate living room and bedroom. The location is great for a quick walk to Georgetown one way and the White House the other. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the nation's capitol.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you AdoptiveFamily, for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay in our recently reinvented Melrose Georgetown Hotel, extending luxurious, spacious guest bedrooms that help guests feel right at home. Our prime location is perfect for those looking to explore all the capital has to offer. We hope to see you and your wife again on your next travels to Washington, D.C.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was second stay at the Melrose and again, I enjoyed myself immensely. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and well appointed. The staff was friendly and completely agreeable. The lobby space and bar was welcoming. The location of this hotel is great, right in the heart of Georgetown, close to everything. I hope my travels take me back to DC soon so I can repeat visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

TravelingforFun46, we are thrilled to hear that you returned to the recently reinvented Melrose Georgetown Hotel for your stay in the Washington, DC. We too love our spacious guest bedrooms and attentive staff! Melrose Georgetown Hotel's location in the heart of DC is ideal for exploring all that the nation's capital has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again on your next travels, when perhaps you may enjoy a meal at our signature farm-to-fork restaurant Jardenea.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Came to DC with two friends. Each had our own room. I spoke to the hotel desk manager prior to our arrival and Stanley was very helpful. All our rooms were supposed to be the same, but I was given a smaller room. Bathroom lighting is horrible in #221. I wiykd challenge anyone who wears glasses to put on makeup in tgat light. It took 3-5 minutes for hot water to come into the sink and shower. Also no maid service at all one day so trash was not emptied nor were towels refreshed. The staff was great and extremely helpful. My friends did not have a y issues.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you, Nora M, for your honest review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. I am very sorry for the inconveniences you experiences in your room. I will be sure to look into the issues you encountered, for nobody should experience sub-par service with their stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. I hope you give us another chance to impress you on your next visit to the capital.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This pas week in April 2014 was not my first experience of the Georgetown Melrose. After many years, whenever in Washington, the Melrose by 'natural selection', became my favorite hotel. I was surprised to see that it had been completely refurbished. The lounge and bar are now pleasant open spaces and connected with a terrace where you can enjoy drinks and bites.
Staff is friendly and helpful, even anticipating your needs as a traveller. The comfort of the executive suite was excellent and certainly pleases this European visitor! Hall, table, sofa, desk, refrigerator, closets... it all felt homely. It made the Melrose a perfect hub for both my work and tourist activities in Washington, D.C. Being there felt so familiar that at the end of a day in the city, returning to the hotel was announced as 'let's go home...'

Room Tip: A corner room such as e.g. # 313 is an excellent choice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

W B, thank you for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad to hear you returned to find our recently reinvented hotel and Jardenea restaurant, complete with spacious guest bedrooms and art-deco inspired decor. We strive to provide optimal service to make for a most comfortable stay. We are thrilled to hear that Melrose Georgetown Hotel can be your home away from home, and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the capital, W B!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My boyfriend and I Recently stayed at The Melrose Hotel and I have to say it was a lovely experience. The Staff all around are super friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was very comfortable and spacious. We had a delicious breakfast at the restaurant downstairs, which I highly recommend trying. I love how close we were to all the sites and to the shops in Georgetown! Overall, The Melrose made our visit to DC all the more enjoyable!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you, Jennifer P, for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. It is great to hear that our staff and guest services made for a memorable stay. Our signature farm-to-fork restaurant Jardenea serves only local ingredients to create current, conscious meals, and we are glad you enjoyed our breakfast services. We hope to see you again on your next visit to DC, Jennifer P.

Best,