“Definitely a hotel I'd return to”

Melrose Georgetown Hotel
Ranked #35 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Charlotte, NC
“Definitely a hotel I'd return to”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for Memorial Day weekend 2014. It was a great hotel in a perfect location. So much convenience nearby, as well as transportation and interesting locales within walking distance. The staff was courteous, interested, and kind. Everything was taken care of, and the rooms were spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you charliepratt for choosing Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad to hear we could make your Memorial Day weekend a memorable one with our prime location in the heart of DC. Our staff strives to put their best foot forward with guest service and we look forward to seeing you and your wife on your next visit to the nation's capital. Be sure to look to our website to snag the best rates.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
Spring Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is the second time I've booked rooms at this hotel for a friends get together. The hotel is in Georgetown, conveniently located near the Foggy Bottom Metro Station and the free Kennedy Center shuttle. There are good restaurants nearby, a small deli two doors away and a very nice breakfast/lunch spot a few blocks away.
The staff is friendly and very helpful. The place had been undergoing renovations when we last stayed but the reno is complete and quite nice. The hotel is older and clearly the renovations were not able to enlarge the very narrow and awkward layout of the bathrooms. Apart from the bathrooms, the two deluxe double rooms we had were spacious, with a desk, lots of closet space, and two very comfortable beds. Oddly enough in this day and age, despite having a desk, it had no USB port to charge a phone or I-pad. The room had a fridge but no coffe-maker which is also a bit odd, but there is free coffee in the lobby in the morning.
The lobby is spacious, with a bar, a restaurant, some large flat screen tvs and plenty of seating just to hang and plan what to do.
We were on the second floor in the rear overlooking a busy street but heard no traffic noise even though our stay was during the work week.
Both times we stayed we booked well in advance through Hotels.com and got a good price. For that reason, I rated the value high. However, it is a city hotel in a good location and that doesn't come cheap.
The small and awkward layout of the bathroom, and the lack of a USB port or coffeemaker are the reasons I did not rate an overall "excellent", but I would certainly recommend the hotel and intend to return for another friends' get together.

Room Tip: The hotel fronts on Pennsylvania Ave which is a main thoroughfare with heavy traffic. The rear face...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NJWoman
NJWoman, thank you for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are so glad to hear you and your friends could enjoy our recently reinvented space, extending large guest bedrooms and art-deco inspired decor. Thank you for highlighting the few inconveniences you experienced regarding the USB and coffee pot. We will work to remedy this for future visits to see how we can improve guest experience. We look forward to your next get-together when perhaps you and your friends may try our 5-5-5 happy hour at Jardenea Lounge.
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We love staying at the Melrose Hotel when we are in D.C. for the weekend. There are several wonderful restaurants within easy walking distance, and the attractions of Georgetown are nearby but far enough that the hotel itself is quiet. Walk across the street to Marcel's for a pre-theater dinner and then take advantage of their free car service to Kennedy Center.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shewho
Thank you shewho, for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are so glad that you came back to visit us and were able to enjoy the wonderful locations and attractions within walking distance of our hotel. We anticipate your future visits when perhaps you may try our recently reinvented, farm-to-fork restaurant, Jardenea.
Pinehurst, NC
Reviewed 28 May 2014

There is nothing negative I can say about this hotel. The location to the Kennedy Center was less than a mile. The valet was fast and courteous. The check in and out was fast. The rooms were much larger than I expected. The beds were comfortable and the water pressure was high. We enjoyed a couple of drinks and some light snacks at the bar. Food was good and the bartender was very pleasant.

Perfect Stay

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ozzync
Ozzync, thank you for choosing Melrose Georgetown Hotel for your travels. We too love our prime location in the heart of Washington, DC, within walking distance of our favorite shops, restaurants and famed landmarks. We strive to provide convenient, optimal guest service to make your stay most enjoyable and we are glad to hear that we could accommodate. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit and be sure to check out our website for the best deals and rates!
Haverford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Melrose Hotel was recommended to me by a friend who had stayed there and was pleased with it. I concur. The location, the edge of Georgetown, on Pa. Ave, is very convenient. The place itself is clean and the employees-from the doorman to the bell hops to the front desk personnel were uniformly very helpful and actually pleasant and enthusiastic. (This was actually surprising to me as I am used to staying in NYC hotels, where the best that can be said about the staff is that they are competent, but generally not much beyond that.)

The lobby was modernistic and very clean. 2 computers were available and free Wi-Fi offered as well. Complimentary coffee was available in the morning.

My room was similarly spotless, very well attended and spacious. The bed was most comfortable and I slept much better than I often do in a non home environment.

On my departure the doorman asked how I had enjoyed my stay and would they be seeing me again. I truly said - "very much, and definitely YES".

P.S. The price is most reasonable as well.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor just by assignment. My room was spacious and quiet. I have no reason to think...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank HBARRY740
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you HBarry740, for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We do agree that we have a prime location in the heart of DC, within walking distance of our favorite locations. We strive to provide optimal service and we are so glad that we could make your trip most enjoyable. Our hotel was recently reinvented, lending to the contemporary spaces and cutting-edge designs. We very much look forward to seeing you again, HBarry740, and thank you for choosing Melrose Georgetown Hotel!
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Looks like a boutique hotel catering to business travelers, but soon your realize it's for all including whole families with running kids in the lobby. It's very well located, Georgetown and the metro station are at walking distance. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, mine was well-lit by two windows facing the streets. The premises are a little old but well maintained. The internet is free but slow and if your room is in the corner, like mine, it is even worse. The personnel is very friendly and helpful, if you don't want to try the fancy and expensive hotel restaurant, they recommend to you the best options around the neighborhood. The gym is self-service but is well equipped.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Camoto54
Thank you Camoto54, for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are so happy that we could accommodate for you and your family. We too love our convenient location in the heart of Georgetown. We hope that we may see you again on your future travels are perhaps you may enjoy a meal at our signature farm-to-fork restaurant Jardenea!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I'm not sure what's happened in the past couple of years but it's not the same treatment as in the past. I work in logistics planning for a national organization and have had a really tough time connecting with and getting treated like a meeting planner from the Melrose team. Basically it's like I'm trying to sell our business to the hotel instead of the hotel trying to win our business from other competitors. I didn't realize they had become so elite. Even though the elitist of properties have treated me with the more respect and care.

Slow responses is definitely one of the issues I've encountered. When I first reached out my contact was no longer there. So I called and got the email of a new sales manager and forwarded my request and that person wasn't there anymore, either. Then a Director of Sales responded with "how can I help you?" How about read the email chain so I don't have to type my needs over again? There a clear lack of communication skills both outwardly and internally.

I've been given prices that are all over the place for a group booking with responses to inquiries treating me like I've never done this kind of business before. Something they can simply fix if they so desire and it took over a week to get responses that were basically 'that's what the computer says.'

The hotel has gone under major renovations since the last time I stayed there. When I was previously hosted there the rooms had not been updated. So I was attempting to get our business meetings to come to the Melrose in the future. I have had no response to this idea and pitch to them. None. I've mentioned other departments in my org. that might want to come visit while we are in town to absolutely no acknowledgement. If this is how they are treating a meeting planner trying to pitch $60K worth of business in a week - I can't imagine how an individual traveler would get treated.

If they are not interested in group bookings then they should simply communicate that. Bad form. Perhaps booking there as an individual traveler is reason for a great experience - but from where I stand if you need to book a group block go elsewhere.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Joseph N
Joseph N, thank you for sharing your honest experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We have undergone a dramatic reinvention recently but we still strive to provide optimal guest service. The lack of quality service you experienced is unacceptable andI will look to see where the breakdown in service you experienced occurred to avoid this in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for your future business travels and we hope we get another chance you to impress you on your future travels, Joseph.