“Decent Boutique Hotel - The Melrose Georgetown”

Melrose Georgetown Hotel
Ranked #35 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Decent Boutique Hotel - The Melrose Georgetown”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I would recommend the Melrose Georgetown. It was a decent experience, we visited the week of July 21 2014. The hotel is close to the Marina but not really walking distance to any of the DC attractions. We enjoyed our stay for the most part but would we stay again, no. There are many other options alot closer to the National Mall that are available. The restaurants in the area were very pricey and the breakfast within the hotel was terrible! My children were expecting a pool, I will be sure to do my homework and select a hotel with a pool. The front desk was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. They provided a list of pizza delivery companies in the area which was a big plus and we enjoyed the lemon infused water daily. The room was small but tolerable, very clean I did not like the toiletries but otherwise decent stay.

Room Tip: walking distance from subway and wholefoods, CVS.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SSmith30
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Mantelstone, thank you for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our team here at Melrose strives to provide optimal customer service, and we are so glad they could help shape you positive experience. We sincerely apologize for the breakfast service you experience. We assure that we take our food and beverage service very seriously, and what you experienced is not up to our standards of operation. I will look into seeing where the breakdown in service occurred. We do hope you will give us another chance to impress you the next time you find yourself in DC. Best of luck with all future travels.

Jale Hashimi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Turkish first
Welling, Kent
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Have just returned from Washington where I stayed with my family at the Melrose Hotel, Very happy with the hotel and service, particularly Cedric on the front desk who was very welcoming on our arrival. Only minor gripes would be that our door keycards kept failing and had to be reset several times but I think this could be due to the Metro subcards interfering with the signal if carried together.
Location is very good being near to Foggy Bottom Metro and within walking distance to Georgetown and good quality restaurants.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our team here at Melrose strives to create a memorable experience for all of our guests, and we are glad to hear we could leave a lasting impression on you. We too love our location in the heart of the city, within close proximity to our favorite attractions. We apologize for the room key issues you experienced and hope that it was not too much of an inconvenience. Thank you again for taking the time to review, and we hope to see you again the next time you visit DC!

All best,
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The location of The Melrose Georgetown can't be beat. Walking distance to Georgetown or to the nearest Metro station. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Door staff could have been a little more attentive. Overall, the decor was modern, elegant and clean. I would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
843CatherineG, thank you for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We too love our central location in DC, within walking distance of famed attractions and our favorite national landmarks. Our team here at Melrose strives to provide an optimal experience for our guests with friendly and attentive services, and we are so glad to have left a lasting impression. We do hope to see you again the next time you find yourself in DC, when perhaps you may enjoy a meal at our signature farm-to-fork restaurant Jardenea.

Montgomery, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Upon my arrival home I discovered a second charge from the Melrose for $250. When I called for an explanation and correction, neither Tameka, Naimisha, or Cedric could help me. Tameka reminded me that I had signed the smoking agreement at checkin, and informed me that housekeeping had provided 'evidence' of smoking in the room. I informed her that no one in my family smokes, including my 6 year old son. She then put me through to Supervisor Cedric, who informed me that The Melrose is not obligated to notify me of these additional charges, not even a courtesy email. He also said he did not have the ability to reverse the charge, and I would have to take it up with manager Parker Sams. Parker Sams did not answer his phone; his voicemail asks one to leave a detailed message. I did so, and I await his reply. This was nearly a week ago.

My husband suggests that housekeeping was retaliating because he forgot to tip them. I am wondering if this is a way of making up for the fact that I booked through a third party at a reduced rate. A retired NYPD friend of mine suggests it is a scam. Regardless, how very convenient that I was long gone before the 'evidence' was found. What a disappointment after what we *thought* was a lovely getaway at a fine establishment.

This has completely reversed my impression of this hotel as service oriented. To not send even a courtesy email giving me a chance to rebut, and then to be conveniently unable to have anyone correct the problem, is shameful. While we were there we spent over $400 on meals and incidentals, in addition the room. I hope it was worth the $250 (which I now have to dispute through my credit card) and loss of repeat patronage and referrals. So disappointing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Jillian C
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2014
Jillian C., we sincerely apologize for the lack of communication in regards to the charges you received and have expressed frustration with. I can assure you that Melrose takes customer service very seriously, making it of the utmost priority, and I would like to discuss the charges you received with you directly. We want our guests to have a smooth, enjoyable experience with us, and I do hope you will give us a chance to clear up this miscommunication with you and show you that we have no hidden agenda. Again, I apologize for the issues you have had with reaching a member of our management team. Please contact me directly at the hotel so that we may get to the bottom of these charges. I look forward to hearing from you, Jillian.

Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Melrose's location is fantastic. Close to all major DC attractions either by walking or taking the Metro (Foggy Bottom Station is a short walk from the hotel), The staff were friendly and helpful although no dedicated Concierge is provided. The room was spacious, quiet and well appointed. Two major disappointments keep this hotel from being rated as highly as advertised. The complimentary WiFi is so slow that it is virtually unusable. Upgraded service is available, but at a price. The biggest disappointment was the service in the dining room. Although the hotel was fully booked, there was insufficient wait staff to manage the volume. Service was painfully slow and our food was delivered not as ordered. The cost of 4 breakfasts was $130.....a steep price to pay for terrible service. I would recommend this hotel (especially if you can get it at a discounted Hotwire type price) however would suggest strongly you avoid the dining room and eat elsewhere away from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Nancy C., thank you for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Please accept our sincerest apologies in regards to the WiFi service you experienced. We will be looking to see how we can best remedy this service as this is unacceptable for any guest at Melrose. We taking our food & beverage services very seriously and the service you experienced is not up to the standards in which Melrose strives to operate. Again, a sincere apology for this. We do hope you will give us another chance to impress you the next time you may find yourself in DC, when we can have you experience the Melrose we know and love.

All best,
Granbury, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I had lived in the DC area 25 years ago, and hadn't been back since then--we wanted to take a family trip for 6 days, and booked online--have to admit that I had concerns since it was just a Mom/child trip, and I wanted to make sure the hotel was safe above all. I read & re-read reviews, and finally decided on the Melrose; I couldn't have been more PLEASED!! It is in a great location in Georgetown, a short walk to Foggy Bottom Metro or shops of Georgetown in the other direction. The hotel is a lovely, boutique hotel with very personal service. Thanks to Cedric at the front desk, who was our first contact there-- we had reserved a Double room, but as they had only King beds available, he upgraded us to a Jr. Suite, which was Perfect--it had a King bedroom, and a comfy pull-out couch in the living area, 2 TV's, dining area. Bathrooms are marble, Great warm water pressure in the shower, and very nice bath amenities. We felt totally safe, as there was always a (friendly) doorman on duty. Room service was pricey, but good. A few hints: you need to ask to have a coffee-maker brought to your room if that's something you need in the morning; I suggest a higher level floor (a little less noise), facing Pennsylvania for the best view. Also, there aren't a lot of quick breakfast places close-by, so we went to Whole Foods (near foggy bottom metro) and bought snacks/drinks to make the mornings easier. (There is a Trader Joe's really close to the hotel, but it was Awful--very rude workers, horrible selection, they don't even have ANY sodas or diet drinks At All, so don't go there). We felt safe in walking around Georgetown in the evenings,. Also, there is a convenience store/liquor store right next door, open evenings and is like a small 7-11. Overall, the staff was Very attentive, rooms were well-appointed & Clean and they did their best to make our stay enjoyable. Will Definitely stay again if I ever return to DC.

Room Tip: It is in the City, and located near GWU hospital, so there was some noise outside (especially ambula...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Robyn O., thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We too love our central location, tucked into the heart of DC within walking distance of our favorite attractions! Our team here at Melrose is happy to provide attentive, friendly service to provide a memorable experience for our guests. We are so happy to hear we could leave a lasting impression. We look forward to your next visit, Robyn.

Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We hosted a wedding at The Four Seasons Hotel in Georgetown and some guests wanted a less expensive alternative for their stay - The Melrose was perfect! Same elegant feel to the decor of both the rooms and the public spaces. Wonderful service. The restaurant, Jardenea, is also tucked away in a corner of the hotel and offers extremely attentive service and great food in a quiet atmosphere (great after a bustling day on the streets of Georgetown).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
FloridaTraveler402, thank you for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are so glad we could provide the perfect ambiance for your wedding guests! We are thrilled to hear you had a chance to try our signature farm-to-fork restaurant Jardenea, serving fresh fare that captures the essence of the surrounding city. We do hope you will be joining us again the next time you find yourself in the nation's capital.