“Excellent Experience”

Melrose Georgetown Hotel
Ranked #37 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was able to get a good internet rate for 144.00 a night. The hotel is in Georgetown and a short walk from the shops and restaurants located there. You simply walk a couple blocks to M Street and turn left. In a few minutes, you will be inundated with all kinds of eating places. The hotel room itself was large, clean, and comfortable. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. There are no coffee pots in the rooms, but every morning there's plenty of coffee available in the upper lobby opposite the elevators. One of the managers gave me two free passes for the hop on/hop off tour bus (about a hundred buck courtesy). The only reason I gave the hotel four stars is because the WiFi is very touchy and spotty. I couldn't even get online just outside the front door on the patio area! The room keys are also a bit sensitive and sometimes had to pass the key over the sensor several times. Twice I had to go to the front desk to get new keys. Aside from that, I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is close to many of the sites and is within a mile of the White House and other museums.

Room Tip: I don't think getting the king suite is much of an advantage because the king rooms are large en...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Gordie L, thank you for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our central location is perfect for guests looking to explore all that DC has to offer. Our recently renovated hotel extends large guest bedrooms and beautiful designed interiors, and we are so glad you enjoyed! We are thrilled that we could help shape your positive experience in DC, and do hope you will be joining us again the next time you visit.

Jale Hashimi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I booked a room with this hotel because the location is great, the price is affordable, and the advertised pictures were very nice. We drove to the hotel and as we pulled in front of the entrance an employee gestured at us to keep driving and to not park the car. There is very limited parking as it is a very busy/popular part of town and in front of the hotel there is a designated park area which we assumed we could park in to check into our room . To the young ladies obvious annoyance, my husband and I parked our car out front since there was no other parking. I stayed in the car while my husband ran into the lobby where the lady immediately greeted him with "are you valeting with us" and nothing more. He proceeded to say he would like to check in first and we would either move the car or valet as soon as he was finished. She told him we had to valet the car and that we could not leave it there even for a few minutes so he gave her the keys and they both came outside to the car. She waited while we rushed to get all of our luggage because she told us that if we left anything in the car and needed to get it later we would have to call the valet and they would retrieve it for us. Besides the valet woman there was one other attendant working the lobby who also did not greet us, nor help with our luggage, nor hold the doors open for us. We left our car with the young woman and preceded to check in. My husband asked about parking and the front desk told us that the only option is valet for 48 dollars a night or that we could find street parking. We went ahead and chose valet for the first night and the lady working at the front desk gave us a complimentary breakfast because she could see that we were surprised and disappointed with the valet charge. Our room was comfortable and clean but the advertised free internet did not work at all. We decided to head out for the night to do some sight seeing about a half an hour after we checked into our room. Once we got outside we saw our car still sitting in the exact spot that we had left it in half an hour before even though we were told that our car could not be parked there for the 5 minutes it took us to check in. Just to be safe my husband decided to make sure it was locked since it was just sitting on the street in this huge/busy city. Sure enough the car was not locked. For 48 dollars a night we would expect that the car would have been moved to a safe garage by now and that it would be locked and not sitting on the street all that time. We decided to ask the front desk for our keys back and to remove the valet charge as we would take our chances finding more adequate parking where we knew the car would at least be locked. Retrieving our keys from the two men now working in the lobby valet took almost twenty minutes. We were told that the young woman working the valet had taken her break and had our keys in her pocket and to just "sit tight" in the lobby for her to return from her break. I hate to think how long our car would have been sitting outside unlocked had we not asked for our keys back. Even with us asking for the keys it still sat there for almost an hour. The next morning we put our DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door handle (meaning we did not want cleaning service in our room while we were out for the day) and went to breakfast in the hotels restaurant Jardena. The hostess was very friendly and sat us promptly. She told us to present our complimentary breakfast coupons to our waiter before we ordered. A waiter took our drink order and once he came back we gave him our coupons and he told us we had one option on the menu and then followed with "so are you ready to order then?" We ordered our one choice but my husband and I chose differently cooked eggs. Our food was served with the same eggs and not once after we received our food did anyone ever come to check on us. Very poor service that made us feel like since our waiter knew we were not paying for our meal he only needed to provide the bare minimum of service which was to bring food to us no matter what it was and after that as far as he was concerned his job was done since we were not paying customers. We were gone pretty much the entire day and upon return to our room we noticed that the sign that we hung up that morning was no longer there and in fact our room had received maid service despite our obvious opposition. The sign had been ignored and placed back in the bathroom for us. The rest of the weekend went off without a hitch despite the lack of customer service every time we walked past the front desk through the lobby and out the front doors we were never once greeted or even acknowledged. The door was opened for us once on the day we were leaving the hotel and that was the only time. For the price of this hotel I would expect a lot more. I would not stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone seeing as how there are hundreds of hotels in Washington D.C. and I would take my chances to find one with better customer service.

3  Thank Laura D
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Laura, I apologize immensely for the quality of service you and your husband experienced with your stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel and your meal at Jardenea. We take customer service and the comfort of our guests very seriously, and I can assure you that what you experienced is not up to the standards in which our hotel operates. Convenience and comfort for our guests is of the utmost priority, and I am very surprised and disappointed in the treatment you have expressed to me. I truly appreciate you bringing these issues to light, as I will look to find where the breakdown in service and communication occurred to prevent this from happening in the future. I do hope you will give us another chance to impress you the next time you are in DC, Laura. I would love for you to give me a call at the hotel so that we can discuss your experience further, when perhaps I may show you that this level of service is not up to our usual standards. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I hope I will have the chance to talk things out with you.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. Loved the location, ambiance and vibe of The Melrose. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting DC. The staff was both friendly and helpful. The rooms were adequate size and the beds were comfortable. I loved the decor of the lobby and bar. I will stay here on my next visit to DC.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dgely, thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our recently reinvented space, providing guests with large bedrooms and artfully designed interiors. Our team here at Melrose does their best to provide helpful, personable and attentive guest service, and we are glad to hear we left a lasting impression. We do hope you will be joining us again the next time you find yourself in DC!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Enjoyed our overnight stay at the Melrose Georgetown today. The location is excellent and we got a good price via Hotwire. The folks are friendly, the room was clean and well-appointed. What more do you need! :-)

A minor con: No coffee or tea in the room. Have to go downstairs and pick up coffee from the lobby.

However, one big con: Hotel parking is $48-00 a day! Even for a weekend. In and out privileges were no good to us because once we were in DC we used public transportation to get everywhere.

***Research other overnight parking options in the neighborhood ***.

I wish the hotel would provide other cheaper options: self-park or valet parking with no in-and-out privileges for (say) $25 or so. Or just charge less for parking!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

rrkr13, thank you for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We too love our central location within close proximity to famed landmarks and premier shopping and dining! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our friendly and personable team here at Melrose, and we look forward to your future visits. We wish you the best with all future travel endeavors.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Melrose Washington is conveniently situated in Georgetown, and the staff members we dealt with were very friendly and supportive. We were also offered a courtesy upgrade to a junior suite which was a welcomed gesture.

They do charge USD $47 for overnight valet parking which is a complete rip-off, but with that exception we were very pleased with our short stay and would definitely consider returning when in DC next.

1  Thank Mantelstone
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our prime location in the heart of the city is ideal for guests looking to explore all that the nation's capital has to offer. We are glad to hear our team here at Melrose left a lasting impression on you with friendly, helpful and attentive service. We hope to see you again the next time you find yourself in DC.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Booked well in advance for a convention (APA). Very courteous and attentive staff all around (front desk, doormen, restaurant waiters). Truly, the meals with a focus on quality, organic, locally grown, must be handled by an excellent chef, because it was always excellent. Foggy Bottom/ Georgetown area is a great location; it's near to Metro and restaurants and really everything.
The slightest of downsides. Ultimately it's an older building, and at a few times it shows. The pricing of the lodging varies by date, but this was notably reasonable in comparison. That excellent food at times seems to be served in an ice cold room (bring a long sleeve shirt/ light sweater).

Room Tip: The rooms do vary a lot (our daughter had taken another room, it was definitely bigger and "new...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kingsfield

Thank you Kingsfield, for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our staff at Melrose strive to provide attentive, personable and friendly service to help create a memorable experience for our guests. We are so glad we could leave a lasting impression on you. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our signature farm-to-fork restaurant Jardenea, with locally inspired dishes crafted by none other than our head chef Nate! We do hope we will be seeing you again in the near future, and thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

All best,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I would recommend the Melrose Georgetown. It was a decent experience, we visited the week of July 21 2014. The hotel is close to the Marina but not really walking distance to any of the DC attractions. We enjoyed our stay for the most part but would we stay again, no. There are many other options alot closer to the National Mall that are available. The restaurants in the area were very pricey and the breakfast within the hotel was terrible! My children were expecting a pool, I will be sure to do my homework and select a hotel with a pool. The front desk was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. They provided a list of pizza delivery companies in the area which was a big plus and we enjoyed the lemon infused water daily. The room was small but tolerable, very clean I did not like the toiletries but otherwise decent stay.

Room Tip: walking distance from subway and wholefoods, CVS.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SSmith30

Mantelstone, thank you for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our team here at Melrose strives to provide optimal customer service, and we are so glad they could help shape you positive experience. We sincerely apologize for the breakfast service you experience. We assure that we take our food and beverage service very seriously, and what you experienced is not up to our standards of operation. I will look into seeing where the breakdown in service occurred. We do hope you will give us another chance to impress you the next time you find yourself in DC. Best of luck with all future travels.