“A Home for the Ages”

Ranked #17 of 460 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hillwood, the grand estate of Post Cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post, sits on 25 acres overlooking Rock Creek Park in northwest Washington DC. Along with a world renowned collection of Russian and French decorative arts, Hillwood also features extensive gardens and special exhibitions.
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This was my second visit and I enjoyed it as much as the first time. The staff is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. The special exhibition of pret a papier is absolutely mind boggling . How do they make the dresses out of just paper? The gardens are to die for.

5  Thank 1sjh
Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed 2 July 2012

WOW!
This place completely caught me by surprise.

It's like walking into the movie set of "the great Gatsby" – all the "fabulousness" a socialite from the 1930's could possibly imagine for herself…. Including drop-dead-gorgeous gardens which also make it the 1# place to visit during spring blossom.

I don't want to ruin the surprise – so I won't go on describing this place – so let's just say it's worth the time and travel!

9  Thank SupernovaSurvivor
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Good entertainment and the Hillwood is an excellent museum.

2  Thank ceasartopaz
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I am not sure this museum is accessible without a car, but I was glad we were able to visit. Astounding what you can buy if you are in the right place at the right time. There are picnic spots available on the beautiful estate. Call or book ahead online as the docent tours fill up before people arrive. The audio tour was fine, but the docents filled in with fun stories. Lots of ladies day out groups when we were there. Wealth and beauty that was destined to be shared with all visitors rather than the out doing hostesses of New Port.

2  Thank turkeylegs2024
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I am always awed how people lived just a few generations ago and how far we've fallen lol. The Hillwood Museum and Gardens was the estate of Majorie Merriweather Post, a business woman, socialite, philanthropist and SERIOUS collector. I am awed by the collection of jewels, paintings, furniture and porcelain she amassed. Had it not been for a small advertisement in a Washington newspaper, I would still be unaware of this oasis in DC. The mansion is lovely and the grounds are breathtaking.

3  Thank LVJ1980