“Very pleased with this hotel - 5 star, great service and close to attractions”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #14 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Our stay was July 20-22nd, 2012. There were three of us, my husband and I and our youngest son, 10 years old. The purpose of our visit was a mixture of business and pleasure.

We loved our room with a great view of the Potomac, the Pentagon and Reagan Airport. We were on the higher floor in a Tai Pan room overlooking the Potomac.

We found the room to be quiet, very well appointed and within an easy walking distance to the in-town Smithsonian museums.

It rained almost every day of our stay and the valets and doormen were always there with an umbrella when you went out to see the sights or to retrieve you from your car when you arrived or left the hotel by car.

We had both room service and ate in the Sou'Wester restaurant.

I had the river trout in the Sou'Wester and our business companions had seafood entrees. Our son was well accommodated with chicken fingers. Each entree was perfectly hot, well plated and tasted fresh and good. The service was fast and professional.

It is one of my peccadillos that I judge a hotel kitchen by the quality of the room service. MODC didn't fail in this regard: I ordered a tuna nicoise salad, which arrived as the most inventive and beautifully plated dishes I've had in or out of a restaurant, let alone room service! I won't spoil the surprise for you if you order it but rest assured the presentation will impress you. Our son had a cheeseburger and fries that was nicely presented with freshly fried hand cut chips. Hubby had another fish dish which didn't last long enough for me to sample but was also nicely plated.

Our room was conveniently located near the Tai Pan hospitality room, where they served various hot and cold snacks and drinks throughout the day. This made it easy for us to take short breaks between museum forays and to stay refreshed day and night. The Tai Pan staff were always pleasant and accommodating, even as much to have a small, cold, glass bottled coca-cola ready for our son when he popped in twice a day. I'm on a low carb diet, our son is very picky and my husband is a fruit and carb eater and the Tai Pan Club breakfast pleased us all. We even met some new friends in the Tai Pan Club - an unexpected surprise!

I've stayed a week in the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok and despite the cultural differences of Bangkok and DC, I did feel that the MODC is just as good in service and food quality as the Bangkok MO. Yes, there are fewer restaurants and the spa is a little smaller, however the spa is also not across the Chao Praya river from the hotel! We didn't visit the spa for treatments but did venture down to the pool and spa area and it was lovely.

Our room was always stocked with fresh towels and cleaned at least twice a day. I've uploaded photos to show you the room, the view and the gorgeous bathrooms - the master bath had a separate tub and shower enclave and was well designed with very good lighting and plenty of room for two to maneuver and primp. Our room had a separate bathroom with shower that our son immediately commandeered as his own. He also made good use of the free wifi in the Tai Pan rooms to play computer games (!) in the evening.

Beds were very comfortable and the pillows were fresh smelling and clean (another peccadillo of mine: I demand fresh linens and good pillows). I usually bring slippers for the room but didn't feel I needed them in this room as the carpet was very clean.

All in all, we felt that we got good value for money and had a lovely time.

Room Tip: If the desk staff don't offer you a free upgrade, ask for a paid upgrade which will more than pa...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Hotel is beautiful and most of the core services are top notch, but customer service took the weekend off. General observations: took multiple attempts for someone to answer the main operator number (appears the hotel was understaffed at the front desk and in other front line service areas), wireless internet not working in our room nor in the Tai Pan club, complete lack of follow up from the on duty manager over two nights, and white dust/dirt all over the driver side floor mat/console area of our vehicle at valet checkout. Background: called main operator number regarding wireless internet problem, transferred to an offsite help desk (between hold and trouble shooting time wasted almost 30 minutes), an unidentified hotel employee called the room around 2100 and told us IT was unable to repair the problem and we would need to change rooms for internet access (move my 9 month pregnant wife at that late hour? after more back and forth, told it would be resolved the next day), after a relaxing morning at their beautiful spa returned to the room and still no internet, stopped at the front desk on way out of the hotel for the afternoon (no knowledge of the internet problem and the lady explained it was probably my fault for not accepting the charge during the wireless configuration process...she had no clue and clearly did not understand anything about the issue, but assured me it would be resolved and someone would follow up....NO follow up...NOT even an explanation after my third contact). I finally gave up and did my business over the telephone. Upon checkout, my driver side vehicle floor mat was covered in a white dust/dirt. Valet was very apologetic and explained someone probably made the large mess the night before during a rainstorm...valet cleaned up the best he could with some towels/water and I departed with a very messy vehicle. Only plus for their weekend customer service was their Club Concierge who was pleasant and helpful. Minus that positive impression, a complete customer service failure! We selected Mandarin for relaxation, but departed with frustration. We will definitely consider going back to Georgetown Ritz before spending another $1,500 weekend at this Mandarin location. Not the norm for Mandarin's other properties...

Room Tip: Avoid low floor on train track side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I am ususally a big fan of MO's. This one is clealy two notches (at least) below any other at which I have stayed. It has a poor location, but the problem goes beyond that. It appears as if they are operating it to not lose money instead of the usual high touch high quality hotel. Frayed carpets on the door jam in my room, shower drain loose, never got the W Post I requested for the two mornings I was there. Just an OK hotel and that is not aceptable for their reputation.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Check-in was prompt and we were upgraded to a water view room. The view was amazing, especially at night. The room was wonderful, inviting, fresh smelling and very quiet. My only suggestion would be to add a coffee maker in the rooms.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

no one greeted us as we drove in. no one offered to take our bags. it was late afternoon and we were the only car in the (hard to find) driveway. the lobby was undergoing noisy construction.
the room was small and had the most uncomfortable sofa for casual seating. it has spoiled our opinion of all future mandarin oriental bookings-- even though we have stayed at other hotels with that name.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nancy a
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed 4D/3N and I could have stayed longer. Check-in was prompt and I was automatically upgraded to a water view room. The elevator arrived quickly and as I walked to my room, I admired the lavish carpet and the details in the hallway. I immediately knew that I was in a high quality hotel as each room had a door bell, electronic do not disturb buttons and daily turn down service.
The room was immaculate with a view of the water, but I fell in love with the bathroom. It was fit for a queen; marble throughout the floor and shower and I love huge tubs and huge walk in showers surrounded by glass. As a frequent traveler I can appreciate the small things like the amenities that you normally have to request at other hotels…..at the Mandarin they’re already available in the room: cotton balls, ear swabs, nail filer, shoe buffer, all of the hair and bath necessities and drawers to store your items (grooming and clothing). I particularly loved this as I don’t like to leave my hair irons or personal items on the bathroom counter so, I normally store them in the suitcase or tuck them underneath the vanity if there is space. There is plenty of drawer space and huge mirrors throughout the room. I also liked that the television had so many channels and most hotels will skimp on this, but trust me the channel selection is great. There is also a dvd player and a small cd/radio player.
I didn’t experience what other travelers did-feeling like they had to tip or forced to be serviced. When I asked the bellman for advice on taking a taxi or train to the airport, he suggested the train as it would save time and money. The staff was great. They always smiled and if you forget your phone charger, like I did, the concierge has a charging station available. You will notice that the staff holds the property in high regard due to its name and the crop of guests that stay here. As others mentioned, there aren’t many places to eat or grab things, only Potbelly, Starbucks and a CVS.
As it was time to check out, what I liked the most was that I didn’t get the bill underneath the door and I didn’t feel rushed to leave. I asked the concierge to charge my phone while I walked to get breakfast prior to checking out and I was asked about my stay and if I was being pampered enough. I happily replied: yes. I would recommend this hotel and I would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view/upgrade.
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This was my first time staying at a Mandarin Oriental property and it was wonderful! I was greeted warmly when I arrived - they gave me a little lavender scented towel upon check-in. When I got to my room, I had an amazing view of the Potomac River. There was a bathrobe and slippers in my room - also, the bathroom had a tv. It was amazing! I ordered room service and they rang the bell on my door to alert me that they were there. Very cool! I definitely want to stay here again!

1  Thank Maureen P
MOWashingtonDCHotel, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Dear MnPremo,

Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your stay! We appreciate hearing that you enjoyed your visit and all of the service nuances that we strive to provide.

Please come back and visit us soon!

Kind regards and safe travels,
Mandarin Oriental, Washinton D.C.