“Recommend this hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Athens, Georgia
“Recommend this hotel”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I was delighted with the professionalism, courtesy and helpfulness of the staff from the front desk to housekeeping. I had a few special requirements which I had mentioned to the reservations agent. Unlike other hotels, this one actually followed through in advance of my arrival and met all my needs. The hotel was beautiful, very clean, and well organized.
The only less than ideal condition is the arrival and departure area. It took too long for the staff to take the car to and from the valet parking lot. But this was a minor inconvenience. And, to be fair, it was a very busy time for them.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank erpk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I can't believe I haven't left a review for the MO DC - it is a tremendous place to stay in D.C. It is located a little distance from the other areas of D.C. in an area surrounded by government agencies and the occasional museum, an easy 10 minute walk from the mall and the Smithsonian metro station. It is in an area that can be a little empty and lonely at night - but during the day, there is a sandwich shop and a Starbucks in the immediate vicinity as well as the ubiquitous D.C. sight of a CVS store open until 10.

Mandarin Oriental really has gorgeous, luxurious rooms - ask for one with a view of the Washington Monument. Love the toiletries and the separate shower and wonderful inset bathtub - the bathrooms are some of the best parts of the hotel!

Their in-house restaurants are spendy but have good food - I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there but they are convenient and have very decent food.

The gym (and spa) on the lower level are worth visiting. The gym has complimentary (tasty!) tea and bottled water, and the spa has nice warm pools and comfortable lounge areas. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Zirconia
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Everything about the hotel is 1st class, including the price. Friendly, helpful staff went overboard to make the stay memorable. Conveniently located to many walking sites and Metro. We ate outside at the Sous restaurant and the meal was exceptional, and moderately priced for such a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors overlooking title basin are quiet, spacious, and have great views.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Felton, California
Reviewed 13 April 2013

In October 2012 my sister had a conference in DC so I traveled with her and my nieces to take in the sites. We had planned a three day trip, when hurricane Sandy struck. The hotel was so accommodating when we unable to get flights out and had to extend our stay on a day to day basis. Not only did they extend the group room rate, they checked in regularly with guests, provided water, a game room for both youth and adults with snacks and goodies and had Halloween treats for all the young people. The staff, especially Lynn, Nicole, Clyde and Eugene were so helpful, and created and calm and reassuring environment when it was chaotic, just outside the doors. This staff left their families and moved into the hotel to care for us during the storm. Thank you for the amazing care, service and warmth you extended to all of the worried and frazzled guests. You are all amazing individuals and we were so appreciative of how you made a challenging situation feel safe and secure.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Good location for sights,does not come close to Mandarin Oriental standards for comfort or quality either internationally or in the US.Large "airport like" Lobby with inadequate seating and seating options.Concierges and Front Desk staff try hard but there aren't enough of them so expect to wait.Poor ingredients and uninspiring execution when it comes to food,coupled with indifferent service in bar/Tai Pan Club.Rooms clean and comfortable but mediocre in terms of fixtures,furnishings or ambience .Short Club hours and a non existent choice of beverages.Worst of all,ridiculous additional charges once you have spent $500 per night on a room(a few dollars for non-standard newspaper, wi-fi etc)

As others have said,this hotel is ok by DC standards but lacking when compared to other MOs.If you are are familiar with group's typically excellent properties,beware!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We stayed here during the first week of the cherry blossom festival through Disney Vacation Club. Overall impression is that it is a very nice hotel, but for the price per room, I was expecting a more unique experience.

The bar was set very high when we first got there. We had driven in from Ohio through a huge snow/rain storm and were probably looking rough when we rolled up in our family minivan (that's 4 adults, 3 teenagers, a toddler and a newborn!), all wearing sweats and carrying a hodgepodge of luggage, but starting with the valet and kind doorman we were treated like royalty. As my mom checked us in, we were offered tea service and hot towels... that was amazing. They had a stuffed panda companion for my 2 year old. Check in was easy and the lobby is very nice.

The rooms were sort of underwhelming... they were set up just like any old holiday inn, two beds and a TV and a desk, I don't know why but at the price point I was expecting something more Vegas-like. The bed linens were luxurious but not the nicest I've ever slept on. (perhaps I'm a little spoiled!) The bathroom is well-appointed with a nice soaking tub and shower with great water pressure and very soft water, not that sticky hotel hard water that seems to be everywhere. The best thing about the room was the extreme cleanliness. Their cleaning staff is for sure top-notch.

Two areas they could improve upon: 1.) the room amenities were very spotty. We had 2 rooms, and each had different combinations of robes, slippers, towels, etc., and neither were enough for our group. Ice and water were provided with turndown service but not consistent about how much was left for us. 2.) with their location, dining in the evening was difficult without having to drive and find somewhere to park. It would be nice to have a casual restaurant available, their restaurant seemed too upscale for our group and room service was completely unaffordable. Maybe they don't intend for this to be a "family" hotel, but we saw plenty of families and on their website they make it seem like they really cater to kids.

If you are planning to get to everything by walking, pick a downtown location instead.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

On Sunday April 7, I was attending an event in D.C. when I became caught in the Cherry Blossom traffic jam in late afternoon. I was on a low tank of gas and no hope in sight. I took a wrong turn and wound up in the same jam. Not knowing how to navigate my way out of the city I decided to stop at the back door of the hotel (one spot left, perhaps for me). I was hoping someone could help me get to I-395. I worked my way to the lobby, observed the guests having cocktails with complimentary snacks, and became oriented to where my car was and then went to reception.

What happened after that was incredible. A kind gentleman working at reception listened to my plea for help and went far beyond what I hoped for. He went with me to the car, but on the way I remembered that there was a display of kimonos for the festival. He took me to the room with the gorgeous kimonos so I could get a firsthand glimpse of them (beautiful) ,and then we continued to the car where he wrote out directions for me to get to a gas station and then to the G.W. Parkway. All while taking a call regarding work. I could not believe how easy his directions were (yes, I had to go to VA and past Reagan Nat'l Airport, but it worked!

I believe that the Mandarin Hotel would be a wonderful place to stay if an employee would make an effort to help someone who was not a hotel guest. Just imagine how you would be treated as a guest. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo