“Not so much”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas
“Not so much”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Was here for a conference and was completely unimpressed given the pedigree (Mandarin Oriental) and room rate ($700+/nt). The location is great....if you want to hike East Potomac Park and mingle with federal workers at L'Enfant Plaza, but otherwise it is very, very isolated. I know Washington quite well and enjoy being able to explore different neighborhoods and try new restaurants, but there is none of that in close proximity to the Mandarin. As for the room itself, it was superb, even though the key didn't work in the minibar. My biggest irritation was after taking a great 2 hour hike along the Potomac I came back to the hotel hoping to have a nice brunch outside before my conference began....except that the restaurant closes between 11 and Noon on Sundays? I was completely shocked and annoyed that I had to have room service on a beautiful Fall day, AND pay the room service charge on top of that! Yep, first world problems, but at these hotel rates you'd expect a bit more.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
MOWashingtonDCHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for your review, Tim S.

I apologize for your experience with the honor bar and Sou'Wester hours. The restaurant closes from 11:00-11:45am on Sundays to transition from breakfast to brunch. On a positive note, the ground breaking for the new Southwest waterfront will be in 2014, so our area will become revitalized with restaurants and shopping! Please reach out to me if you return so that I can ensure a seamless stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Everything about the Mandarin Oriental blew us away - the staff, the cleanliness, the spacious rooms, the view, the location, the amazing food.

The location is amazing and it's only a short walk to all of the main attractions. We were at the Washington Monument within minutes and the rest of the National Mall is right there.

The hotel kindly offered to store our bikes in the luggage area without charge so we would not have to call for our car every time we left to go sightseeing which we appreciated greatly. Every single staff member we encountered right down to the housekeepers went out of their way to make sure we were happy and well taken care of. They were always smiling, always accessible and always happy to help.

Bedding is extremely comfortable and we just sank into the pillows. Best nights sleep I've had in a long time. Every single amenity you could possibly imagine was included in the room - an adjustable TV over the bathtub (bathtub separate to the shower), phone in the bathroom, two shower heads offering different options for water pressure, umbrella, emergency flashlight, free internet, fruit bowl on arrival. The hotel understands that the bathroom is just as important as the room itself. One of the most spacious bathrooms I have ever seen, and one of the most beautiful.

We stayed in a Tai Pan Club room with access to the Tai Pan Lounge. Was great value for the complimentary wine, cocktail, and hors d’oeuvres in the evening, European style breakfast each morning, all day snack availability and office work stations which included printers and internet. Also had incredible views of the Washington Monument. The staff in the Tai Pan Lounge were particularly friendly and helpful, and gave us a history of why the Monument is under construction when we asked.

Really impressed with the Mandarin Oriental in DC.

Room Tip: Tai Pan Club rooms have awesome food and beverage inclusions.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for such a great review, Meg J.

We can't wait to have you back! We are delighted to hear that our colleagues exceeded your expectations and that our room allowed you the best sleep and bath. Let us know when you return!
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I had to drop off my brother in law and he asked me and my kids to come in for a bit. I was wowed by his checking experience. Smooth, graceful. The hotel valet heard that I was coming in for a bit so he informed me that they will keep the car just a few feet away so I don't have to wait for it when I leave.
The suite was beyond beautiful with views to the Jefferson Memorial and the DC Marina. I was so charmed by the hotel that I decided to have dinner there. Best decision ever. The hotel restaurant, South Wester, seated us and made sure that my kids, who have food allergies, ordered the right food. I loved the service.
My wife took the kids there the next day and stayed a night to experience the spa while the kids hung out by the pool.
I have since then gone back, taking my wife there, for Sunday Tea. She likes sweet and I like savory. A Win-Win situation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the MArina and the Jefferson Memorial have prettier views. Yes, you see the highway bu...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your great review, Masoodclan!

It's so wonderful to hear that a non-hotel guest was able to experience and enjoy our Mandarin Oriental amenities. We look forward to having you return in the future. Be sure to make a reservation at our award winning CityZen!
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have stayed here before and fhis review is in context that a club room after tax is over $1000 per night! The positives is that tgere is free wifi and the staff arw courteous. Rooms are pretty dark and even after turning on all the lamps you do thud around a bit. The club room has an excellent breakfast and definately the highlight of the day. The serving staff are pretty poor. Just wonder ariynd achieving little whilst dirty plates pile up on tbe table. The health centre is adequate with free water and basic cardio equipment. Bedroom bathroom positive is a good shower and decent bath. Has a TV which is great in tbe bath but I think tbe rooms arw getting a bit dated. My complimentary macaroons probably lay kn the desk for 3 days before I had to ask to throw them away. Altogether OK but I doubt worth that sort of money.

• Stayed October 2013
MOWashingtonDCHotel, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear "KarlBahrain,"

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay. We welcome all comments from our guests, and when there are opportunities to address and improve the overall guest experience, we do review the comments and share them with our department leaders.

We continue to make updates and improvements to the hotel (from new carpet in the common areas, and updated goods in the guest rooms), and we do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us when your travels next include Washington, DC.

Kind regards, and safe travels,
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Just stayed at this beautiful hotel along the Potomac for a few nights for a conference. It is very well located, just down the street from the Smithsonian Metro station and just a little further from the L'Enfant Metro. When there is not a government shutdown, it is a great location for sight seeing. You can see the Jefferson Memorial from the hotel.

The room was very spacious, great view. The service was fantastic. They provide turndown service as well. The room service is very expensive. We spent $45 more for room service breakfast than the restaurant breakfast. Both were delicious however. The spa, water features, pool and fitness room were also great. Concierge service was very helpful, except the hotel car was never available. Price is very high if you do not get a conference rate.

Overall a five star experience.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, the water view rooms are quiet and beautiful!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear "Deenappio,"

Many thanks for your review and for highlighting some of the items that set us apart from other local hotels, including our location, the views from our rooms, and our proximity to several sightseeing landmarks.

We also appreciate your comments regarding areas of improvement, and have taken those as areas on how to enhance the overall guest experience.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company when your travels next return you to our nation's capital.

Kind regards, and safe travels,
tx
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel overall is nice. I just spent 3 nights here and the staff was friendly although housekeeping wants to barge in your room at 7:45am every morning with 3 consecutive doorbell rings and then busts in the room. So don't forget to put the "do not disturb" sign on. There is NO movies-on-demand. So if you enjoy watching movies in bed after a long day of touring the city, or working, do NOT pick this place. The spa was great one day, then the next I was a few minutes late to my 2 session spa day and they gave my entire block of treatments away with charging me, so that sucked.
It's a good location but you must have a car or take a taxi everywhere. It's not walking distance to anything.
Overall- it was good but it wasn't great.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear mj79Tx,"

It is always helpful to receive reviews from our guests, especially when they provide opportunities to provide a better guest experience.

We are especially sorry for the service concerns you have listed, and have shared them with the respective department leaders so they can address them with our colleagues.

Should your travels include DC, we do hope that you consider another stay with us in the near future.

Very kind regards and safe travels,
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We are in Washington, DC, up to about 4x per year. Normally, we stay in the DC NW areas, at hotels, such as the Ritz-Carlton, Hay-Adams, Hilton Washington, and a few others. Often, we are in town for an event, or meeting, and then my wife heads to Capitol Hill, for meetings with Congress. Once, the SW Area was, well less than savory, but things have changed. Redevelopment is everywhere, in the area around the Mandarin Oriental. The event was in the hotel, but again, there were those meetings on Capitol Hill, that followed.

Our arrival trip indicated that much had changed in the surrounding neighborhood.

First, the property, from the arrival, is exquisite. The circular drive affords an arriving guest a beautiful view of the hotel. That is just the start.

The door-staff is very professional, and quick to get all luggage ready for delivery, after check-in. At many luxury hotels, finding the reservations desk is tough - not so at this inn. The reservations desk is right inside the door, and the staff is ready to help. Even with three largish events "in house," they were highly efficient.

Now, our stay was part of an event, but one would have thought that we were frequent, returning guests. There was no hesitation in assigning us a very nice room, though the rate (with the event) was at a discount. Some inns make one feel like an interloper, just because they are with some scheduled event, but NOT the Mandarin Oriental, DC.

Our room was spacious, well-appointed and very, very comfortable. OK, we did not have a view of the Potomac River, or the Yacht Basin, but it was a great room. We had a King Room, and there was more than adequate space. The bathroom was very good (some notes to follow), and we never felt cramped, in any way.

Though only one room, it was actually more like a "Jr. Suite."

Luggage service was excellent.

The only complaints that I can offer are:

Bathroom lighting - could be better - brighter, but we are seeing more dim lighting, due to "eco bulbs." The general room lighting was very good.

Storage drawers were a bit sparse. We could have used a few more for a five day, four night stay. The closet was very good, and only the drawers were a bit lacking.

No coffeemakers in the room, but there IS coffee downstairs, or across the circle at the Starbucks. Still, having that first cup in the room, in the early AM is nice.

The staff at the door worked very hard, to see that my wife had a cab for every meeting, off-property, even when some cabbies only wanted to take fares to airports.

The Empress Lounge is great, and right across from the reservations desk. While their bar menu is slight, their short wine list is fun, and hardly has even one of "the usual suspects." Really a nice little wine list, served by very attentive folk.

CityZen, the formal restaurant (see separate review), is great, and ranks with some of the top DC restaurants.

We often stay at luxury resorts, inns and similar properties, and are recognized by the staff, as we frequent those. Though we had never stayed at any Mandarin Oriental property before (we have dined at two in Hawai`i), I was amazed that ALL of the staff, knew our name. I am not sure how they all did that, but it made an impression. I encounter similar, at only the best, and then, only after a stay, or two. The DC Mandarin Oriental staff was on top of it, and instantly. Impressive.

Even the housekeeping staff knew our names, and greeted us constantly. Oh, the housekeeping staff was top-notch, at every turn.

While everything was not perfect (see above), it was surprisingly great!

We will be staying there in the future, and hope that the entire neighborhood redevelopment goes smoothly. Then, they will be in a perfect location, and are a great inn. They managed to make us feel like we were long-standing, returning guests, on our very first visit, and that is tough.

Room Tip: Dine at CityZen, at least one night. Spend one afternoon at the Empress Bar in the lobby.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mr. Hunt,

We are thrilled that you opted to stay with us during your recent visit to our nation's capital. Your thorough and complimentary review is especially appreciated and does provide our colleagues with valuable feedback that their hard work and efforts are noticed and greatly appreciated.

We have also made note of your areas for improvement and have taken those into consideration as we make decisions on how to best impact the overall guest experience.

With regard to local development, you are correct that additional changes are coming to Southwest DC that will only provide additional options for our guests to enjoy, and this is something that will truly enrich the neighborhood.

We do hope you return to Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C., when your travels next include DC.

Many thanks, and safe travels,