“Beautiful DC property best for business travelers”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #18 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beautiful DC property best for business travelers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

The Mandarin Oriental DC (AAA 5-star luxury property) was ranked by the Institutional Investor magazine as one of the top 100 hotels in the world, and I’ve been lucky enough to stay at this property a few times because of work.

Included are photographs of my room – 944. The muted colors are calming and the sound-proofed rooms meant that I never heard anyone once I closed my door. The furnishings and set up speak for themselves. It is tough to find any fault with the Mandarin Oriental DC. My only issue with the hotel is that I prefer staying (for personal reasons) closer to Dupont Circle. The hotel is in a fairly desolate area not necessarily that far from the DC Mall but not really near anything (restaurants included) that are of any interest.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We spent Christmas there. It was a lovely place and they were very accommodating. of all of us. We were the guests of a family member whom they upgraded to the Jefferson Suite, which was the size of most people's ground floor of their home. It was perfect to celebrate Christmas with present opening, etc. The staff was all very kind and it had one of the best showers I have ever had the pleasure to use.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed there for one week with my husband who was there for business. I cant say enough, the staff are very friendly and helpful, I loved the room, we had a very nice view and the bathroom is spacious and inviting. I loved the location although I felt at the beginning it was far after reading some reviews, but I discovered its walking distance from almost all the museums, and there's two metro stations 10 min away walking, actually I liked it better than the one in downtown as the buildings downtown are very old although renovated, but I am not sure about the cleanliness downtown as I saw a rat walking close to a restaurant. The concierge prepares lists for guests for places to visit and can help you plan your day, they offered us a box to ship stuff that we needed to take back with us. Since we checked out early the day of travel, they let us use their impressive Spa to re freshen up before our flight.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a beautiful hotel on the inside (the outside just looks like a generic Washington government building) and the staff delivered the kind of efficient and pleasant service one expects from quality hotels in the USA.

The room was sumptuous and the bathroom enormous but the bed and pillows were...dreamy. I haven't slept so well in a long time - it was a real struggle to get out of bed as the mattress, covers and pillows embraced me in unparalleled comfort.

It is located within easy walking distance to Mall of America with all it's attractions, but it is some distance from the main entertainment area (but it's a safe walkable distance).

The breakfast was good, if somewhat expensive. However, they knew how to make good espresso (with Lavazza, no less) and that alone is worth the mark-up.

They have a good range of beer at the bar and they make a very drinkable G&T.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ashland, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

My wife's birthday gift was a stay for us at the Mandarin Oriental. Getting there using GPS was a bit of a challenge, mainly because we're not used to city driving. When we got there and unloaded, the car was whisked away by their staff and we entered the beautiful lobby. Everyone at the hotel was courteous and welcoming and our room was spacious, nicely appointed and quiet with a great view from the window. Aside from the comfortable bed and seating area the bathroom blew us away. Very luxurious.
Prior to dinner we had delicious and unusual drinks at the hotel bar.
One of the things we especially liked about the Mandarin is the quiet somewhat secluded location. We prefer these kinds of places verses the bustling , busy center of the action places.
For a pamper oneself stay the Mandarin Oriental was sheer luxury!

Stayed November 2013
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is a good business hotel -- nice building, efficient service, coffee and tea station in the lobby, etc. But the city view was of a building next door. The food was overpriced. Room was not available until late in the afternoon. Breakfast buffet is minimal. The location isn't terribly convenient. All of which was fine while travelling for work, but I would have been disappointed had I been there with family.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Oceanside, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Although the hotel is lavish and beautiful to see, the one bedroom was a little too small, and I would have preferred a sofa over a chaise lounge, the service and friendliness of the staff was unparalleled. From the front desk people to the housekeeping personnel, everyone was warm, kind, and all made us feel right at home (which is more than I can say for some of the other guests). In particular, I want to recognize two of the concierges, Clyde and Jack. Both always took extra time to advise us on the best tours to take, the best places to eat within our budget, and the most interesting sights to see while visiting DC. They were both very personable, and they always cared to hear whether we enjoyed their recommendations or not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Tidal Basin