“Simply Amazing”

Ranked #15 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Simply Amazing”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

During a recent trip to Washington D.C. for a training, I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and it was just amazing from the moment I walked through the door. The hotel was 10 minute Taxi ride from Union Station. As soon as I walked into the hotel, I was awestruck by how beautiful it looked. The woman at the reception desk was kind and helpful. She even granted me a late check-out due to the timing of my training.

I walked to the elevator, through the hallways of my floor and to my room, I just could not believe this beautiful hotel offered government rate rooms. The first thing I did when I went to the room was change into my gym clothes to get a quick workout in before dinner.

The gym was very clean and had an array of cardio equipment with personal HD screens. The free weights and arm/leg machines looked very up-to-date. There was a choice of cool or room temp. water, fresh fruit and delicious teas. My quick workout turned into a wonderful, blood pumping workout. I felt like I could take on the world.

I walked back into my room pumped up and to my surprise, the turn down service had already taken place. All of the lights except one was turned off, the TV was set the hotels relaxation channel, slippers were left at the side of the bed and ice and a bottle of water awaited me. There was a relaxation card left on the bed. From that point on, all I could do was run a hot bath and relax.

The room was small but immaculate. There was a glass shower and a deep soaking tub with a robe a slipper set. The bed was comfortable andThe view was of another building but it really did not matter because the room was so amazing, the room didn't even need a window. That first night, I slept like a baby.

I woke up the early next morning and took a shower in the amazing glass shower which had excellent water pressure. A copy of USA Today was on the door nob. The hotel was located near the L'Enfant Plaza where my training was being held. I could not wait to leave for day and go back to the hotel. I walked back into the room and found looking immaculate once again.

I looked forward to another workout and this time I wanted to take advantage of the pool. I had a wonderful conversation with the staff who was restocking the towels before my workout. I guess because it was freezing outside no one wanted to take a dip in the pool. I went into the pool which was relatively warm, after three minutes two young men came in and asked if the temperature was okay. I said it could be a little warmer, low and behold, the men turned up the water temperature just for me. Talk about amazing service!

Once again I go back to room and the turn down service had already taken place. I took a nice, long bath. Relaxed and watched TV (which ALL the channels were in HD). Once again, I slept like a baby.

I am looking forward to the next time I have to go to DC for work. I would just go so that I can stay at this hotel. The service was impeccable and Asian decor was absolutely gorgeous. I hope to go when the weather is nicer just so I can take advantage of the hotel and it's proximity to the Smithsonian.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Zionsville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a night during an on site meeting. Classy place. Very friendly and helpful staff, very roomy, comfortable and quiet room and a great shower. Very easy short hop to Reagan National. Only regret was that I could not stay longer. Would definitely consider for future trips.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Jack, the concierge was the example to whom the bar should be set. With professionalism and attention to detail his obvious priority, Jack has a genuine dedication to ensuring those guests that he works with get the ultimate care. This could be said about the rest of the staff as well, but Jack stands out.

As for the hotel itself, you can't ask for a warmer, more charming environment. Everything was clean and detail oriented. The layouts of the rooms had the classic charm of a DC landmark hotel with all of the amenities of a modern ultra luxury establishment.

The bathrooms had more jets than a 747 as well as the best shower options I've had in a hotel to date. I fit comfortably into the tub (6 foot tall male) with crafted marble and excellent accents and trims.

The bed was comfortable, lots of natural light durning the day and I had a great work space when I needed it.

Way to go Mandarin, you officially blew my socks off!

• Stayed January 2014
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Robhoss79,

Thank you for your kind words! I have personally relayed your comments to my colleague, Jack. Indeed, we are very proud of the knowledge and experience our entire team of Clefs d’Or Concierge provide.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Washington soon. If I can provide any additional assistance in the interim, please do not hesitate to contact me personally at tharleth@mohg.com.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

If you are coming to DC for business or have been to DC before, this is the Hotel at which to stay. The Mandarin Oriental (MO) a little out of the way, but if you are Metro-capable the Metro line is only a 0.6 mile walk. The MO provides a house car in the morning and evening if you need a ride anywhere. The rooms are well done and maintained with detail, down to the double Kohler shower heads. If you ask for a water-view room you can watch the sunset behind the Jefferson Memorial. Room service was perfectly timed, impeccable and the food was perfectly done. The best part about MO is the Spa center. There are nice locker rooms, gym, showers, a heated vitality pool, a steam room with a starlight ceiling, a heated pool and a relaxation room. I could spend hours in the spa each day...if fact, I waited all day to get back to the hotel and go to the spa. Their spa services were a bit pricey but I was well pleased with the manicure I had. During the afternoon there is high tea in the lounge including finger foods, sweets and a nice selection of loose-leaf teas. Overall this hotel is all about comfort, relaxation and pampering...which I found to be the best way to spend time in DC.

Room Tip: Select a water-view suite.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear ZOELADYFLETCHER,

Our team was delighted to read your comments!

As you mention, we are very fortunate to be located so close to the tidal basin. The views of the Washington Monument & the Jefferson Memorial are absolutely stunning. Moreover, I am thrilled that you enjoyed our Spa. It is truly a brand strength for our company.

Should your travels bring you back to Washington, D.C., please feel free to contact me at tharleth@mohg.com. I would love the opportunity to oversee your reservation personally.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I wanted to get away for a couple of days and maybe catch the blossoms, we decided to stay here as it was close to the Jefferson Memorial, which was great, but we found that this hotel would have been better suited if we were on a business trip.

We were given a room with a view of the Washington Monument, which was great, unfortunately this also meant our room overlooked the railway line, which is not always what you want when you're on a romantic weekend.

That said, the hotel was very clean, we were very well looked after, the bar was lovely and the service was as you would expect from a five star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Barkhuizen,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As mentioned, our hotel is ideally located for the annual Cherry Blossom season! I hope that you had the opportunity to view them in full bloom!

While I am pleased our colleagues delivered on the service expectations of a luxury hotel, I am discouraged that you were disappointed with your room.

May I ask that you reach out to me directly at tharleth@mohg.com with your reservation number? As the 2014 Cherry Blossom Festival is just around the corner, I would like to ensure you are not assigned the same room in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Seems like there has been a change in staff. Was there at the start of the year and a month ago. Went there before and had a great experience from the moment I walked in till I walked out. Spa on my trip is amazing give it a try i might say best in the city! This time though my room was still nice and had a view but was checked in to the hotel when it was busy and they seemed to be falling all over eachother. I had to wait for my room and when I did get it the manager didn't seem very customer service related or that I had been waiting for my room. Line level staff was pleasent though both times around. And citizen is a must! You might thimk its exspencive but its worth every penny and truley 5 star dinning n service

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear blueh2ogirl,

Thank you for your wonderful comments on our James Beard award-winning restaurant, CityZen. Chef Eric Ziebold and his team consistently deliver an incredible dining experience week after week.

That said, I would like to apologize for any challenges you experienced at check-in. This is not indicative of our hotel. Indeed, I worried that we may have jeopardized your trust in our brand.

May I ask that you contact me at tharleth@mohg.com with your reservation number? I would be thankful for the opportunity to research what happened.

glasgow
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

From arrival staff were efficient and friendly. I stayed in water view room 441, had 2 double beds, study area and 4 piece bathroom with awesome power shower. 51" TV with DVD player and every night your room attendant turns down your bed and leaves complimentary water which was a nice touch. Gym has everything you need, pool is great in the morning with sort candlelight and chilled atmosphere. Close to the Jefferson Memorial so at the "edge" of the city but really didn't mind. Looking forward to coming back with my partner next time, and using the spa.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank colin7629
Dear colin7629,

I shared your comments with our team. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your time with us in Washington D.C.

When you have the occasion to return with your partner, please do not hesitate in reaching out to me directly at tharleth@mohg.com.